Toronto Centenary Hospital Emergency Department Redevelopment | 16.64m | 2s | Scarborough Health Network | Kasian

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Scarborough Health Network is in the very early stages of figuring out how to redevelop it hospital campuses.

They have come to the conclusion that they want to support 2 sites in the future, one of which will be the current Centenary location.

The other could be the current General campus, the current Birchmount campus, or an as-yet to be determined site.

They worked up some fairly crude massing models and have submitted them to the Ministry of Health for feedback, which is the Phase 1 stage the process is now at.

Once feedback comes forward, more detailed work will proceed in phase 2.

Website here:

Massing/site options below:

1608044668761.png

1608044700865.png

1608044724907.png

If the Birchmount site were to continue to be supported or a new site were chosen instead of the General site, the General site could be converted to condos and retail (or retail and offices) with a subway station.

Looking at this through a transit lens; it's hard to argue for shuttering The General site.

It's a very substantial employment centre; and there is already ample land for residential intensification on the south side of Lawrence.

In a healthcare context, I understand how they've arrived at their conclusion; but geographic coverage of Scarborough is already thin.

I would argue that a site north of the 401 is important; and likewise, coverage of the eastern and western halves of Scarborough south of the 401.

As it stands, there is a very large gap between The General site; and Michael Garron Hospital to south/south-west which necessarily overloads that hospital as it serves a large and intensifying area.

Directly went you're all the way to North York General, north of 401 or Sunnybrook to the south.

That is an exceeding large distance for an area with its population and growth prospects.

The Golden Mile intensification alone is set to add 40,000 residents over time.

If the proposals for Scarborough Centre; The Oxford lands, but also others east of McCowan and west to Brimley come forward, that's another 50,000 plus right there.

Meanwhile Michael Garron will be expected to absorb the vast growth contemplated at Main/Dawes and Danforth; and quite likely, the Shopper's World site not too long after, along with the Gerrard Prairie lands.

All of which will be 20,000+ there as well.

I worry that excessive rationalization is something we've seen the consequences of in this pandemic where there isn't sufficient space to keep up with exceptional circumstances or population growth.

This is one case where I would much rather (modestly) over build, that see the City left short of capacity the day these facilities open.

Last edited:
Government Presser announcing over 1B for Scarborough Health Network.

Lead item is a new Patient Care tower w/200 net new beds at the Birchmount campus.

Also expanded ER services at the Centenary site; and investments in diagnostics and surgical care at the General campus.

What doesn't appear to be there is new patient care tower at the General which is desperately needed.

Finally, we have a render:

1650000769799.png

Some additional clarification.........

Centenary is the site planned to get the other big boost; but won't get that for now (just the ER investment).

No explicit suggestion of closing 'The General' which is getting investments; but it sounds like that the current thinking; once this and the Centenary investments are done.

My go-to spot for snowboarding, skateboarding and other sports-related injuries growing up. Nice to see an investment into the hospital.

A new application into the AIC for one of two imminent expansions at the Centenary campus of Scarborough Health Network.

* As these are distinct from the Birchmount campus; I will leave it to Mods to determine whether a separate thread is required.

1687007298239.png

The Cover Letter notes that under separate cover an app will be forthcoming for a combined parking structure and health education facility.

1687007432537.png

1687007515441.png

She ain't fancy; but she'lld do. - Rendering above of the expanded ER

Some details:

1687007589685.png

1687007619664.png

1687007839541.png

1687007907300.png

1687007938840.png

Last edited:

Back