News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 679     0 

Severe turbulence experiences

billonlogan

Member Bio
Reaction score
After hearing about the Air Canada flight incident with severe turbulence, it brings back memories of severe turbulence. In 2001, on a flight from Buffalo to Phoenix we hit severe turbulence crossing the Mississippi River. The pilot warned us and the seat belt light came on. I have to say it was a very harrowing experience. I felt this sensation of falling and I could feel my body pushing upwards. One fella a few rows ahead of me was knocked unconsious when his head slammed against the side of plane. People were screaming, kids wailing and the stench of vomit. The poor fella in front of me did regain consciousness and the flight continued without having to stop. Since then whenever I fly I always keep the seatbelt on even when I plan to have a snooze.
Any other personal experiences flying through severe turbulence?

-------------------------------------------------------------

January 10, 2008

Injuries: Air Canada Reminds You To Buckle Up
By Glenn Pew, Contributing Editor
www.avweb.com

Eight passengers and two crew aboard Air Canada Flight 190 were injured Thursday morning when the Airbus 319 suffered a sudden loss of altitude and rolled sharply left and right. One passenger told Canadianpress.com "all of a sudden there were three big drops," explaining that items (and people) that were not strapped down went flying. "It was over and done with in 10 or 15 seconds," after which some crew were left "trying to dab blood out of their eyes," and the flight out of Victoria, British Columbia, for Toronto, diverted to Calgary. By Thursday afternoon one passenger remained hospitalized, but all others had been released. Canada's Transportation Safety Board did not immediately characterize the event as one due to turbulence, mechanical problems, or the actions of the flight crew.

Come on guys I am flying to Toronto in May. You will give me turbulance.

Sounds like a nasty experience, billonlogan.

Since then whenever I fly I always keep the seatbelt on even when I plan to have a snooze.

Isn't that a requirement on all flights now?

Isn't that a requirement on all flights now?
It is highly recommended by the airlines but not required at all times.

From a Southwest Airlines employee: "Welcome aboard Southwest Flight
245 to Tampa.. To operate your seat belt, insert the metal tab into the
buckle, and pull tight. It works just like every other seat belt; and, if
you don't know how to operate one, you probably shouldn't be out in public
unsupervised."

It's still surprising how many people don't use their seat belt while the aircraft is cruising.

Been through severe turbulence, and I always wear my seatbelt when I am in my seat. It happens, it is rare, and I still feel very safe when flying.

The funny thing is that it was air traffic control that sent us into the severe turbulence (from milder turbulence), the pilot came on and said we were climbing back out of the worst of it.... since we were already having some turbulence - the seatbelt sign was already on.

Some of the worst turbulence I ever experienced was while flying between Chicago and Toronto. It was bad weather all the way through, and only one runway was open at Pearson. It felt like the pilot had to really work the plane to get onto the ground during the landing.

Otherwise, turbulence is so rare these days. I find the train typically more "rocky" than flying.

I'm really suprised just how people don't seem to care about any safety at all. I always witness people just wandering around the cabin, taking up the aisles, using cell phones, and never raising their seats into the upright position when landing and taking off. I want to just slap these people. I always keep my seatbelt on just in case. I remember flying from New York to Buffalo and we hit a pocket of turbulence and i remember seeing my glass or orange juice hovering in front of my face as we dropped suddenly.

Back