220     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

Selling - Realtor Recommendations?

lionel

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm looking at selling my loft in the next 6 months. I've only been living in Toronto for 3 years and as such don't have a huge network of friends and have no family to refer a decent realtor to me. Nobody at work has bought or sold recently.
The realtor I used when buying my place was absolutely abysmal and I don't want to go back there.

Just after I sell my place, my gf will be selling her place too (she's also new to the city). That's a 'regular' condo unit. Her buying realtor was also far from impressive.

We're stuck for who to go with...

My initial thought was to use TorontoLofts - I sat down with them when I was buying and was impressed. The reason I didn't follow through is because they only deal in lofts and at the time I was also looking at townhouses. I've been looking at their website recently and there don't appear to be many new listings, so I'm not sure if things are just slow or whether something is up there. Also, as they only deal in lofts, they won't be able to sell my gf's place.

Has anyone here dealt with TorontoLofts or can recommend someone else?
Are there any advantages (discounts?) if selling two places with one realtor?

We're looking at moving out of Toronto to the suburbs, so it's going to be tricky to use the same realtor to both sell existing places and buy a new place - if that was going to be an option.

Cheers

I was wondering about TorontoLofts too.
They have a great website with listings with lots of photos and detailed floor plans (which I think all realtors should do), however they never seem to update their listings/sold properties (the same properties have been on their website for as long as a year or more), so I don't know how active their agents are.

You could definitely cut a deal with a potential realtor to discount their commissions if you want to list both properties with them -- there is strong competition from realtors so any motivated agent would love to represent two listings from one client. I wouldn't get an agent involved in the purchasing of your next home, from a buyer's side there is less work (just lots of paperwork which your lawyer could help out on) and you could bargain more easily knowing that the seller doesn't have to pay the buying agent's commission. If you are not comfortable or not experienced enough to buy a place without an agent, I would used your same agent who will be selling your places to help with the purchase. They may not be knowlegable in the areas you are looking at but they could provide insight when it comes to home inspections, the negotiation process, some legal issues, etc. when you are ready to make an offer. With the MLS and other real estate websites being so accessible, it is very easy to search for a place yourself.

There is no way for this not to be spam... sorry...

I am a realtor, one that specializes in lofts. Check out my specs at www.jeffreyteam.com. I also have a new program where I offer flat fee listings. From $390 for the basics and you do everything yourself, to $1,499 for a full service listing.

More than happy to chat with you. I can also send testimonials if it helps.

Thanks!

I can make a recommendation:

I have used Heather Holmes at Brad Lamb Realty and found her to be professional and a person of great integrity.

If you are looking to move to Oakville (if that is the suberb) I use Jeff Mahannah of Royal Lepage. He too is knowlegeable and I have been happy with my dealings with him.

Good Luck

Thanks everyone for the responses.

neuhaus - I'm not sure TL has many agents; it may have changed in the last couple of years but the impression I got is that it was a one-man show (Edwin) with some admin staff to help him out. Agree about the site, always great pictures and floorplans, he really makes an effort unlike some listings with one small blurry picture of the exterior. You can tell they're passionate about what they do. I'd be happy to buy alone next time - my realtor in my previous purchase went on vacation half way through the process, leaving me to tie up the loose ends and deal with laywers on my own - as a result I think I can handle myself if things are straightforward.

lopix - Understand the "spamming" - was pretty much asking for it! I'lll reach out to you to discuss. I assume you're Laurin, not Natalie?

interested - thanks for the recommendation... I once looked at a building that was being sold by a Brad Lamb agent. Don't want to generalize all his agents, but the one I "met" was totally disinterested, looked like he wanted to be anywhere but the sales office. It was a Sunday - perhaps he was hungover? :p I might give Heather a try though. Not moving to Oakville.

Thanks again.

Back