302     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 555     0 

Section 37 and Metro Passes

C

CSW24

Does anyone know what is involved in determining what section 37 benefits the city will receive from developers in return for higher densities? Specifically, what is the precedent for developers contributing 1-year or 6-month Metro passes to buyers as a section 37 benefit?

I know that BBT Devgroup (Shane Baghai Homes) voluntarily included metropasses in its St. Gabriel's Church redevelopment on Sheppard (and I believe they did the same for Residence of Avondale although I'm not sure about this). Also, Daniel's development on Sheppard (across from St. Gabes) might have included metro passes as section 37 benefits (again, not positive about this).

As a policy option to further the City's and Province's intensification objectives along transit corridors and nodes it seems like this provision has two benefits. First, it is an immediate cash infusion directly to the TTC to help offset the large public costs of transit infrastructure. And second, it has the potential to create transit ridership behaviour patterns for new riders/residents.

Is there any more information on this? Thanks in advance for your input.

The metropasses were also part of the deal at the Parkwood Forest development at Sheppard and Bayview. I seem to recall, but am not certain, that it was added at the ward councillor's request. You should contact Shelley Carroll's office and ask them; they'd know.

Back