News   Mar 28, 2024
 516     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 334     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 346     0 

Scotiabank Arena (Air Canada Centre) Renovations

Not that non-residents care :), but even the newly-installed LED signage is emitting tons of light pollution into residences when Scotiabank Arena fails to calibrate it to the City's rules around allowable nits after sunset. They've been in violation of these rules several times since the signage was installed, but have slowly been getting better.

Air Canada's signage was classy and not disruptive. Scotiabank seems to be trying to push the rules as far as they can without regard to its neighbours. A wraparound LED would be total anarchy as far as light pollution goes for residents within 500m (or the poor office workers working after sunset at Telus or CIBC Square.)

From the Main Lobby at Maple Leaf Square Condos it is quite bright at night. When they first installed it, it was stuck on Perma-noon then they decreased the brightness after complaints. It appears now to have gone back to the original settings. I noticed a few nights ago when that whenever they show things with a primarily white background it floods the square with bright white light to the point where you can see things a mile away.

From the Main Lobby at Maple Leaf Square Condos it is quite bright at night. When they first installed it, it was stuck on Perma-noon then they decreased the brightness after complaints. It appears now to have gone back to the original settings. I noticed a few nights ago when that whenever they show things with a primarily white background it floods the square with bright white light to the point where you can see things a mile away.

Yes, it's as if Scotiabank/MLSE know the rules but are just hoping people will stop complaining. From my discussions with the city, they're starting to get fed up and are putting a dedicated resource on this. There is a perfectly fine balance between the TV and signage being nice and bright without disturbing residents, which is the most annoying part. The daytime brightness setting they keep insisting on is a lose-lose because it's actually uncomfortable to look at.

Yes, it's as if Scotiabank/MLSE know the rules but are just hoping people will stop complaining. From my discussions with the city, they're starting to get fed up and are putting a dedicated resource on this. There is a perfectly fine balance between the TV and signage being nice and bright without disturbing residents, which is the most annoying part. The daytime brightness setting they keep insisting on is a lose-lose because it's actually uncomfortable to look at.

I can walk from work to the station and check my analog watch without needing a light. I could probably read a book solely under the backlight of the screen.

I doubt I'll ever be impressed by this arena till that cheap tin can roof they attached to the top of the beautiful base is re-built with a something of quality.

Cladding and East facing Signage Update

IMG_2634.jpeg

Scaffolding and black cladding progress along Bay Street

IMG_2635.jpeg

And along Lake Shore/Gardiner

IMG_2636.jpeg

Are these ⬇ electronic sign mounts for a billboard facing the Gardiner? This is getting very gaudy and tucking trumping tacky.

IMG_2637.jpeg

IMG_2637.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh joy, more extremely bright signage........yay

Could they not just put it up as a square video board? That way they can put their logo and name on it, but also use it for other things besides just the name. I mean they are putting the video panels up anyway...

A green roof would be great, but not sure about the structure being able to support it or the costs involved. A couple other cities have done it, notably Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Big Ass S

I'm starting to believe that the people at Scotiabank Arena have some serious self-esteem issues

Facing Bay St and the Gardiner Westbound

IMG_2649.jpeg

Still working on this screen on the south-west corner facing the Gardiner. The only people able to view this will be the drivers on the Gardiner and the new residences that will be built behind the misspelt Harbor Commission Building

IMG_2650.jpeg

Last edited:

Back