News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 545     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Scotiabank Arena (Air Canada Centre) Renovations

I wonder if they know that this sign is not visible from the square. It only becomes visible further down on Bremner.

I wonder if they know that this sign is not visible from the square. It only becomes visible further down on Bremner.
Don't worry, there are about a metric gazillion other 'Scotiabank Arena' signs plastered all over the building. It is now a geometric impossibility to look at the building and not see at least twelve of them.

Don't worry, there are about a metric gazillion other 'Scotiabank Arena' signs plastered all over the building. It is now a geometric impossibility to look at the building and not see at least twelve of them.
some are temporary, and will come down once the permanent sign is complete. Don't get me wrong, I don't worry about advertisements of private corporations, unlike others on this forum.

BCAED67B-BC05-4AB9-BED1-018954F75CCB.jpeg

I actually kind of like that it's much shorter than everything else. Frames the whole arena rather nicely (especially once the second phase of CIBC Square is build, Union Park, etc.).

I actually kind of like that it's much shorter than everything else. Frames the whole arena rather nicely (especially once the second phase of CIBC Square is build, Union Park, etc.).
I believe it was initially planned to be 20-30 storeys, but got cut since the office market cratered in the 1990's. I wonder if they built the structural systems to build the full size building.

Even if the structural systems aren't there, I wouldn't be surprised if the finances are there to demo the whole office building and rebuild as a modern 60+ floor office building. The thing is basically right on top of Union Station, the rents it could command would likely be nuts.

I believe it was initially planned to be 20-30 storeys, but got cut since the office market cratered in the 1990's. I wonder if they built the structural systems to build the full size building.

Even if the structural systems aren't there, I wouldn't be surprised if the finances are there to demo the whole office building and rebuild as a modern 60+ floor office building. The thing is basically right on top of Union Station, the rents it could command would likely be nuts.

Yeah, market forces make the replacement of that stump all but a near certainty. If not in this cycle, it'll inevitably happen.

I do like what @Contra said about framing. Viewed from the West, if Scotiabank Arena does build a taller tower, it'll break CIBC tower 1 and tower 2 up. Having seen how gorgeous they're going to be, that's kind of a shame.

Still, I can't see MLSE giving up the revenue from a 60ish story tower right at Union Station. As for the process, the existing stump could stay in place or maybe just have another 10 stories added on top. There's room west of the tower up to the Union Station entrance in the square to build a new tower from scratch.

Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 9.29.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 9.37.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Will they be removing the older and smaller 'Scotiabank Arena' sign in red now that there's the larger sign saying the same thing?

Back