News   Apr 19, 2024
 153     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 560     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Scotiabank Arena (Air Canada Centre) Renovations

It’s unforuntate that the north and west walls of the original postal building were demolished. I guess it was necessary in order to accommodate the footprint of a professional hockey rink and its bowl seating. It would be nice to have had said walls extended to the current dimensions of the arena, thereby eliminating the sterile glass facades. This would give the building a much more classy, sophisticated and timeless appearance. There is zero charm when viewing the arena from the west. [...]

That raises a good question. Were the north and west walls built with the same stone and detailing as the east and south facades? When the postal terminal was built, the east and south facades were the public face of the building, facing the street. The north and west facades presumably would have been built with the expectation that other buildings would be constructed next to them on the adjacent lots. Not uncommon that the corner heritage buildings we've conserved only have two facades meriting protection. I don't know what the case was with the postal terminal.

ETA: East and north facades appear to have at least had the same stone and art deco/streamline design. Of course, the north facade would also have been public facing - facing the rail corridor.

Postal.jpg

Attachments

• Postal.jpg
    Postal.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 1,244
Last edited:
Nice pics @Michael Ianni

From what I understand, the large Scotiabank Arena sign on the west side above the TV is a temporary one, until they get around to installing the larger one with LEDs whenever that may be.

Back