News   Apr 24, 2024
 735     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 959     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 568     0 

Scotiabank Arena (Air Canada Centre) Renovations

Those are all horrible names. I'll gladly take more bank or telecom branding over any of that.

As someone living in Windsor, I remember just about every resident of Windsor/Detroit was mad when they gave Little Caesar's Arena that name. Everyone was thinking and hoping it was going to be Gordie Howe Arena. Still miles better than KFC Yum! Center though.

For everyone (including myself) wondering about the PATH through ACC, looks like someone is listening.

There were counters in One York (near the Lake Shore bridge) and in the ACC at the MLS turnoff this morning.

Should the title be revised to remove 'Potential'? And maybe make reference to the future name? It's but 10 days away now...

Should the title be revised to remove 'Potential'? And maybe make reference to the future name? It's but 10 days away now...
Done!

I'll wait until the whole thing is complete before I make up my mind but it does not look promising. I guess you have to get something when you are paying $800m dollars for naming rights (I can't get over what they are paying for naming rights especially when a lot of people will continue to call it the ACC). Maybe MLSE should take some of the blame as they didn't have to sell out to the highest bidder.

That being said if the signage on the outside of the building can ruin the excitement of an event then I can only assume that you are not much of a sports or concert goer. Once the event starts I can't imagine my mind worrying about the buildings signage.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of pics of the ACC as we know it, before we say goodbye for good. Unfortunately I wasnt able to get good pics of the East Facade so i'll try and go back one more time before the butchering begins:

West Facade:
IMG_20180615_1552104.jpg

West Facade (2):
IMG_20180615_1551466.jpg

Pole signage:
IMG_20180615_1556327.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180615_1552104.jpg
    IMG_20180615_1552104.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_20180615_1556327.jpg
    IMG_20180615_1556327.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_20180615_1551466.jpg
    IMG_20180615_1551466.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 608
That being said if the signage on the outside of the building can ruin the excitement of an event then I can only assume that you are not much of a sports or concert goer. Once the event starts I can't imagine my mind worrying about the buildings signage.

actually I am a musician, and hardcore concert goer- have been to hundreds of shows there- am a huge music fan... it just says overkill everywhere.. too in your face--
and the pictures that were just posted above of how ACC looks- just verifies my thoughts-- I mean they are obviously getting rid of the maple leaf flag- couldn't that be the S logo- and then add SA- right beside it... wouldn't that be better- and more classy
instead we are going to get this huge overblown big assed RED sign of the logo everywhere - disgusting

Sorry to say but after a few years of transition few will care or remember the previous ACC name or incarnation.

The number of people who even attended an event at the old Maple Leaf Gardens that the ACC replaced is shrinking every year.

I was talking to a guy a few days ago who was waxing nostalgic about concerts at Maple Leaf Stadium. I kind of knew what he was talking about like a rumour from a dream I can’t remember but few today would even know that venue existed ( at the foot of Bathurst).

actually I am a musician, and hardcore concert goer- have been to hundreds of shows there- am a huge music fan... it just says overkill everywhere.. too in your face--
and the pictures that were just posted above of how ACC looks- just verifies my thoughts-- I mean they are obviously getting rid of the maple leaf flag- couldn't that be the S logo- and then add SA- right beside it... wouldn't that be better- and more classy
instead we are going to get this huge overblown big assed RED sign of the logo everywhere - disgusting

Agree with you that the S logo followed by slightly smaller text is the nicest way to do it. Filling the text with event-dependent colours may be their way of justifying the size, but you could get the same effect with the same scale as what Air Canada did.

The frame for the larger TV is already up, which makes me wonder what the point of the application is. Has this all already been approved with the illusion of public consultation?

Agree with you that the S logo followed by slightly smaller text is the nicest way to do it. Filling the text with event-dependent colours may be their way of justifying the size, but you could get the same effect with the same scale as what Air Canada did.

The frame for the larger TV is already up, which makes me wonder what the point of the application is. Has this all already been approved with the illusion of public consultation?
Every public consultation in this city/province is an illusion.

Sorry to say but after a few years of transition few will care or remember the previous ACC name or incarnation.

The number of people who even attended an event at the old Maple Leaf Gardens that the ACC replaced is shrinking every year.

I was talking to a guy a few days ago who was waxing nostalgic about concerts at Maple Leaf Stadium. I kind of knew what he was talking about like a rumour from a dream I can’t remember but few today would even know that venue existed ( at the foot of Bathurst).

I know it hasn't been that long but the Bud Stage still sounds weird.

If I tell people I'm going to a show at the Amphitheater they know what I'm talking about

Back