News   Apr 18, 2024
 664     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Scotiabank Arena (Air Canada Centre) Renovations

I'm all for bigger TVs, but the massive S logo is pretty awful. They're significantly reducing the animation and light that the glass extension provided in favour of saturation advertising. Reminds me of Kramer and the Kenny Rodger's Chicken Roaster sign.
800 million dollars has to buy you something, for that money they can do whatever they like.

800 million dollars has to buy you something, for that money they can do whatever they like.
Well, not really. Just because they have $$$$ does not mean they can do whatever they want. They can certainly spend their own money but we have to look at it so they might want to think a bit and look at the aesthetics of what they are doing.

Scotiabank paid $800 million to MLSE, not the City of Toronto. The City has an obligation to its residents to regulate the size of signage so it's limited to branding a building and not a neighbourhood.

It's particularly bizarre that the city rejected a larger TV, but approved a slightly larger TV with a massive logo that covers up the entire glass atrium section that looks down the Bremner Blvd. vista.

1543607666935.png

So what's the real reason for re-cladding the whole thing, especially considering they are leaving the old cladding on? Also, Scotia, please stop with the signage already. We get it. Just stop, please!
1543609773783.png

Reactions: DSC
April 6 - scaffolding has been up for a couple weeks now around the spotlight art piece, not sure if that’s related to the re-cladding. If you look closely there’s a silver bracket running across the length of the side wall of the roof, which is definitely related to the re-cladding.

72E9FD62-644B-4E4C-9468-C97369D51A17.jpeg

The scaffolding is there to give access to the roof. What I want to see is some action on replacing or augmenting the two flights of steep stairs that "link" the SBA ticket-selling area to the PATH leading to Queens Quay. The stairs are quite unsafe and impassable for the physically challenged or people with strollers. The (inadequate) elevator entered from outside is out of order more often than it works. MLSE have lots of $$$ they need to fix this.

Couldnt they have waited to do the renovations? Playoffs are about to start and this whole area will become Jurassic Park.

Couldnt they have waited to do the renovations? Playoffs are about to start and this whole area will become Jurassic Park.

Given the enormous security requirements I can see them relocating the scaffolding during the playoffs.

If things go the way of the 1994 Stanley Cup finals they don't want something people can climb on, tear down, dismantle or set ablaze within the public sphere.

The scaffolding has been up for a few months now (at minimum since January???). So it's not like they just threw it up this week in time for the playoffs.

I'm not sure what work is being done. I suspect the elevator sustained some water damage during one of the freak rain storms Toronto has had.

The scaffolding has been up for a few months now (at minimum since January???). So it's not like they just threw it up this week in time for the playoffs.

I'm not sure what work is being done. I suspect the elevator sustained some water damage during one of the freak rain storms Toronto has had.
There are photos of the work they are doing above and the scaffolding is to allow access to roof, where they are putting up black 'siding'. etc.

The elevator is VERY unreliable; it was flooded last summer but that was fixed and now it is out because it is in middle of their work-site.

Ah, black cladding. This area was in desperate need of some more black. Because the podiums of Telus building, Maple Leafs Square, Harbor Plaza, PWC building and ACC glazing were totally not black enough.

MVIMG_20190412_153003.jpg

Back