News   Apr 16, 2024
 19     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 

Scotia Plaza (KingSett) updates

it's interesting how all the tech giants are suddenly setting up right in the financial core - not their more traditional suburban campus or even west end of downtown. Makes me wonder if the complete lack of available space is pushing tenants to wherever they can find space, or if Union Station is just becoming more and more of a draw.

it's interesting how all the tech giants are suddenly setting up right in the financial core - not their more traditional suburban campus or even west end of downtown
Tech giants are all about attracting the best talent. A part of that is having the best location. Financial institutions are located in the Financial District partly because it is where financial professionals want to work and live close to. No reason to think that the tech talent doesn't want to do the same. Considering the salary ranges for some of the tech jobs, these are some of the few professionals that can actually afford to live downtown. If I were to work for Amazon, I wouldn't want to drive to Mississauga every day. I'd rather commute to downtown (a commute with a lot more options) and move downtown in time too. I think this location makes more sense for them than if they were to setup shop anywhere else.

Last edited:
Good point. Financial institutions put on a good show being in the most expensive buildings and making record profit but, they on average,pay lousy. It makes sense for other industries that pay better to also be in the core and with a higher chance of being close to where their employees actually live.

As part of the revitalization of Scotia Plaza we are upgrading the Adelaide Street forecourt and entrance to the building. Upon completion this fall, the new courtyard will offer a more open, welcoming and dynamic experience for our customers at Scotia Plaza.

D3TdagOWsAAV9gs.jpg

Oh I'm sure those benches would do an excellent job at stopping a 10,000 kilo truck from ramming through the entrance!

If that's their logic they may want to go back to the drawing board on that one.

I'm all for the revitalization of public space but it really doesn't look like not much is being done here...

Here is how it looks now. (Google Street View - August 2018) The over-sized flower pots are the current 'bollards' and block the view of the plaza. While not perfect, the proposed benches cleans up the look.

Here is how it looks now. (Google Street View - August 2018) The over-sized flower pots are the current 'bollards' and block the view of the plaza. While not perfect, the proposed benches cleans up the look.

The oversized flower pots looks fine - all they need to do is proper landscaping along the street with the use of the same/similar red granite instead of that anonymous, it could-have-been-anywhere mess that's being proposed.

AoD

Last edited:

Back