News   Mar 28, 2024
 624     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 442     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 772     0 

Scotia Plaza (KingSett) updates

this is the side that's facing bay/adelaide site right? beside trump tower?

if so, this stinks! i like the current plaza entrance to the building!!

ugh!
that really is bad....potentially.
right now, the canopy moves the eye up and then right up the side of the building.
i wonder if this new addition will block that spectacular sidewalk view of the slender side of the building.

it could potentially be a good thing.. maybe they're thinking of a way to better unite it and Bay Adelaide Centre?

I'm just trying to think WHY they would need to annex the atrium... and for the love of god, don't tell me because Winners wants to expand.

I'm just trying to think WHY they would need to annex the atrium... and for the love of god, don't tell me because Winners wants to expand.

probably another 'shoppers' stuffed full of sinus meds and tampons with a biiiig red canopy on the front.
classic

hmmm, I really need to see some elevations or renderings of what is proposed. Scotia Plaza is my fave T.O. scraper, so I dont like the sounds of anyone messing with it. Must admit though that the north west corner at ground level always seemed a little messy.... is this going to end up passing off as a podium?

this is the side that's facing bay/adelaide site right? beside trump tower?

if so, this stinks! i like the current plaza entrance to the building!!

Second! I always thought that Trump's tower would make that stretch more interesting with how the plaza currently looks.

Financial Post: Scotiabank to sell Toronto headquarters

Bank of Nova Scotia is looking to sell its headquarters in the heart of Toronto’s financial district, with a price tag of as much as $1-billion.

Completed in the late 1980s, the 68-storey tower at 40 King Street West known as Scotia Plaza is reportedly the only bank building in the country with its own bullion vault in the basement.
If the building fetches the rumoured $1-billion asking price, it would be Canada’s most expensive office tower deal ever.

Designed by Toronto-based WZMH Architects who are also known for their condominium towers, Scotia Plaza is one of the most sought-after office locations in the financial district.

News of the potential sale comes a day Scotiabank announced the completion of its acquisition of a 51% stake in Banco Colpatria of Colombia for $1-billion.

Edit to add: Globe and Mail: Scotiabank set to sell Bay Street tower; landmark could fetch $1-billion

Scotiabank is the last of the large Canadian banks to own its headquarters – a throwback to a bygone era in banking. Other banks sold their towers to property firms to raise cash many years ago.

Royal Bank of Canada (RY-T53.060.611.16%) sold its head office and portfolio of more than 30 buildings in the late 1990s. In 2000, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CM-T76.120.891.18%) sold its Commerce Court complex of four buildings, including a tower right across the street from Scotia Plaza, for $618-million. That’s the current record for a single sale of an office complex in Canada.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that they still own the building. BMO & RBC have operated in buildings owned by others for years now.

Scotia is at least ten years younger and was still under warranty ;)

haha does Tarion apply to office buildings ;) ... that was a good one either way.

I don't think this implies Scotia bank wants to downsize it's downtown presence ? I mean they may want to, but selling this building has nothing to do with that.

I think a floating rectangular prism of frosted white glass above the open entrance area could look cool. But then again, messing with this postmodernist design could prove dangerous.

I'm curious (and nervous) to see the plans.

Back