News   Mar 28, 2024
 100     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 229     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

Scarborough Photographs: Then and Now

Snake hill we used to call Twin rivers. By the old Glen Eagles. Old stomping ground before it burnt down sometime early yo mid 70s.
Lived at Midland and Sheppard . 1962 it was a dirt road. McCowan and Sheppard was a turkey farm. Heemskirks tree farm was near Markham and Sheppard. Country all the way to twin rivers and beyond .

Oops! I intended these for the Toronto Then & Now page.........Oh well, just ignore my mistake and enjoy.
Normal School, Gould St. 1856
Normal School, Gould St. 1856.jpg

Statue of Egerton Ryerson at Bond St. entrance 1925
Statue of Edgerton Ryerson at Bond St. entrance 1925.jpg

Facade preserved during expansion of Ryerson Institute of Technology 1966
Facade preserved during expansion of Ryerson Institute of Technology 1966.jpg

Facade currently within Ryerson University campus.
Facade within Ryerson University campus.jpg

Last edited:
Oops! Those images of "Normal School........Ryerson" were intended for the Toronto Then & Now page.
I'll just leave them here, OK?

Oops! Those images of "Normal School........Ryerson" were intended for the Toronto Then & Now page.
I'll just leave them here, OK?
It's fine Goldie...though it makes me want to cry. WTF were people in the 50's and 60's thinking?

zanthope wrote on Aug. 13, 2013, page 16:

"In post 223 of this thread, I told of a poor kid that lived on Commonwealth who unfortunately lived in a shacky sort of a home with an outhouse out back that we kids enjoyed often while also somewhat enjoying his embarrassment of its existence. I toured Scarborough last Wednesday, drove up Commonwealth just for curiosity, and lo and behold, their "house" is still standing at number 114, looking much the same as it was then, abandoned in a totally incongruous setting among beautiful and expensive newer homes. Pics are attached. The outhouse is gone, residents are long gone, but the shacky-ness remains."

zanthope,
I'm still intrigued by your story. Amazingly, that property was much the same 5 years later (2018) when this Google image was produced. There must be quite a story behind this, apparently abandoned property. It appears to be a mystery.
I wonder if there's someone who would be interested in exploring the history behind this unusual property. Perhaps some research will solve the mystery.
Old Shack.jpg

zanthope wrote on Aug. 13, 2013, page 16:

"In post 223 of this thread, I told of a poor kid that lived on Commonwealth who unfortunately lived in a shacky sort of a home with an outhouse out back that we kids enjoyed often while also somewhat enjoying his embarrassment of its existence. I toured Scarborough last Wednesday, drove up Commonwealth just for curiosity, and lo and behold, their "house" is still standing at number 114, looking much the same as it was then, abandoned in a totally incongruous setting among beautiful and expensive newer homes. Pics are attached. The outhouse is gone, residents are long gone, but the shacky-ness remains."

zanthope,
I'm still intrigued by your story. Amazingly, that property was much the same 5 years later (2018) when this Google image was produced. There must be quite a story behind this, apparently abandoned property. It appears to be a mystery.
I wonder if there's someone who would be interested in exploring the history behind this unusual property. Perhaps some research will solve the mystery.
View attachment 207168

It looks the same as it did in the 1970's...or at least how I remember it. I really wish I could help with this...my best friend Alex lived across the street at 113 Commonwealth in the early 1970's (their bungalow was sold years ago, torn down and a big home now sits there). Unfortunately, Alex and I are no longer on speaking terms and I'm not sure I'd want to reach out to him. I highly doubt if he would want to give me any info anyway...now 66, he has turned from a decent friend to a twice bitterly divorced ultra right wing, judgmental dirt-bag who scorns and criticizes everybody that he disagrees with abusively. Its a shame because I am sure he would know a little about it.

I'd like to suggest that someone with enough interest might visit the "Property, Lands & Titles Records Office" and enquire about:
- Date and first owner of the site
- Name of first builder and value of the house
- records of additional sales of the property, including value of last sale
- .......and name of today's owner

I suspect that there's a wonderful story to be told.
Why for example, is it still apparently abandoned?

Old Shack-2.jpg

I'd like to suggest that someone with enough interest might visit the "Property, Lands & Titles Records Office" and enquire about:
- Date and first owner of the site
- Name of first builder and value of the house
- records of additional sales of the property, including value of last sale
- .......and name of today's owner

I suspect that there's a wonderful story to be told.
Why for example, is it still apparently abandoned?

View attachment 207185
somebody rich and sentimental.....

Out of curiosity, I visited that "mysterious" site at 114 Commonwealth Ave. today and surprise, surprise........it's now for sale!
I met the owners and learned that the property was bought in 1952 by the current owners' parents who lived, until recently, in an adjacent home.

now for sale.jpg

One of the last links with Wexford village's past, an 1883-vintage store at the corner of Lawrence and Pharmacy Aves. is being torn down to widen Lawrence Avenue. 1960 TPL

Wexford General Store 1960.jpg

S-W corner.jpg

Back