News   Apr 23, 2024
 217     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 422     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Salon: "Tea Partiers as the new Hippies"

Haha, well I'd say that the far-right fringe is definitely more dangerous than the far-left because the far-left would eliminate some of the most dangerous things about American society!

I honestly think that this thing is a bit dangerous, considering it's been able to gather so much momentum in the past little while. I remember seeing an "ad" on Youtube about this about a year ago, and I thought "God, this guy is total nuts!" But it turns out that a lot of people, or at least a lot of Americans, agree with the idea.

I think this could actually be kind of dangerous though. America's such a big world power, and a sudden huge swing towards the right wingers that includes the tea partiers could have a big influence on the global economy and politics. I'm thinking this could be the start of a big national power struggle of epic proportions, but I'm wondering if I hope it is or not. On the good side, it might actually be better to deal with the massive political and ideological imbalances in what's supposed to be the homogeneous and united states of America. On the bad (and possibly quite bad) hand, bickering, whether it be political or whatever, on a grand scale would mean a slight absence of the USA in world issues, and a stagnation in dealing with those national issues that need to be dealt with for basically half the world to actually get by.

Agree with you, LI Mike. I thought that Canada's political divisions were bad, especially with Harper ruining the cool-parade, but the US's divisions make the Liberals vs. Conservatives look like a total joke. What's interesting is that they're such huge differences which are mostly regional based. I honestly think those political divisions could end up tearing the US apart big-time, for better or for worse.
I'm also scared to death at the fact that Sarah Palin will actually have a shot at a high-ranking position. Not only would she be totally incompetent at any such thing for starters, her views are just so... gwah!

I mostly agree with the OP article, actually. I'd call Tea Partiers almost exactly like hippies in the 60s. What I find interesting is the media representation of this. Not only does it get a lot of press coverage and has gained a lot of steam from that, it's a thoroughly widespread phenomenon on the internet, which I think creates a very bad situation (of course, only if you think these Tea Partiers are bad news, of course)

It started out as a genuine grass roots movement during Ron Paul's run for the Presidency in 2008 (I actually co-designed the website [Nov 5 2008] for the money bomb that preceded the Tea Party site): manifested itself during the Tea Party money bomb on December 16th. In terms of overall policies, the movement was about:

- Scaling back government
- Restoring personal liberties (like eliminating the Patriot Act)
- Retracting the empire/warfare state (bringing troops home from Iraq and elsewhere)
- Reducing the welfare state
- Allowing competitive currencies and auditing/phasing out the Federal Reserve

It was libertarian leaning and to the "right"

Then the movement was hijacked and now include Palin, Glenn Beck, etc.

People who were there to witness it during its origin (like myself) acknowledge this. Now it's been largely turned into the "Hey look over there!" Left vs Right false dichotomy.

Last edited:
I would agree with you on Palin, but Glen Beck is more Libertarian than you give him credit for.... He is definately NOT a neo-conservative.... In fact, although he on said that he is not against gay marriage (which a neo-con would typically not say - except for maybe Cheney (but that is for personal reasons)). The tea party movement though is still more in the ilk of Ron Paul. Now I have not followed any of it since leaving the continent around 4 months ago, but that is where it was then. The growth in Glen Beck's ratings reflect a large part of america that is sick of their representatives (left or right).

He's a crazy man with a TV show where he draws on a chalkboard and talks up conspiracy theories. People like him used to be relegated to late night cable access channel time slots, but now they get a voice because the public has some warped idea that we have to be 'fair' and 'show both sides of the story.' Even when one side of the story isn't at all factual.

I like to think the tea partiers are a large part of the reason why the health care bill got passed. Most people associate their conduct with racism and homophobia.

And I do not think Sarah Palin has a hope of running for president. After the election, many polls that were conducted suggested she was responsible for ruining McCain's chances. And now she continues to humiliate herself even more after she resigned as governor. I hope she becomes a presidential candiate, because it would gaurantee Obama a second term. Because Sarah Palin is unelectable.

But I've always thought the ring wing presence in America was the shame of the nation. Most of the anti-Americanism emerges from the stereotype that Republicans perpetuate.

I absolutely agree that almost all the anti-American stigma comes from the republican, right-wing ideals. Cut out the Southern and Midwestern states and I don't think a lot of people will have such a big problem with the country. That's the reason I honestly think it should somehow be split up. Let the right wingers have a smaller influence on world affairs but still control of their own country, and let the left wing (you know, sensible,) regions have an also smaller influence on world affairs. I think a combination of the significantly higher degrees of globalization in those right wing areas mean liberal-mindedness will have a bigger influence all round. Either way, it's still better than for the most influential nation in the world to swing between vastly differentiating political stances every couple years.

^Me! I love Sarah Palin! Although in truth I'd go for Ron Paul as Prez, Sarah for VP. I'd say rural farming communities across Canada admire Tea Party types, as do quite a few Forest Hill (and Westmount, K-W) folks I know--but for different reasons. My dad certainly loves SP--but what man wouldn't? :D

I suspect you (JL) live in the Annex... :p

You are wrong,I live in a small rural farming community. I know how dumb people can be. Most of them don't vote either I suspect. They appear to be satisfied that their kids work at Walmart too.

Last edited:
They push Asian people into the lake as they fish up here and call it nipper dipping, that is fact, with court transcripts to prove it if you care to debate it. That is pretty dumb! Do I want them to love me? Nope.

Not much to debate if you are where I think you are. Its reputation precedes the fishermen incidents.

Still, it's not fair to tar the whole area due to the actions of the few. And you could always move if you think it's that bad.

I am active in the community and I utilize my freedom of speech. I live here for reasons and I am quite sure once those reasons disappear I will move but that is not how I deal with racism and dumb people, I don't run.

Back