Toronto TMU: Science Building | 81.7m | 14s | TMU | Henning Larsen

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is the parking lot on the northwest corner of Jarvis & Dundas right across from the new Pace Condo

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 2B8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 155392 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Mar 28, 2011

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: Proposal to sever existing lot into 2 parcels. North portion - existing 9 storey office building to remain. South portion - future development to be proposed. (PPR to be applied for at a later date)

Capturesears.JPG

A companion for PACE!
Does SEARS still have any interest in this property? EDIT: They don't!

Last edited:
That's a massive piece of land. That could easily support three point towers and a large midrise component. Hopefully the lot gets cut up a bit with some new public roads

Good to see this site being maneuvered for development.

Its tax-payer owned as far as I know (the province) and its resale value to a developer should bring a pretty penny in fiscally tight times.

Not to mention, as a developed site, it will provide vastly more tax dollars (assessment) to the City of Toronto.

The usual caveat applies in hoping for good architecture.

On the idea of roads through the site...

East to West the block isn't that large, nor out of character with surrounding blocks, as Mutual to Jarvis is the standard block alignment from Queen to Maitland.

However, from a N/S perspective the access for pedestrians, never mind cars, from Jarvis to Mutual is non-existent within the Dundas to Gerrard block.

Ideally, we're buildings laid out differently, I would love to see Gould punched through to Jarvis.

However, that's not likely to happen.

So, in the alternative, having a new street hug the southern lip of 222 would make a useful connection

I really think that whatever they build here needs to reference the Sears building in some way. Putting up something that ignore's it's neighbour to the north seems like a recipe for architectural dissonance...

That corner parking lot would have been perfect for a plaza fronting the Sears Building.

I wonder if Ryerson is interested in this site. Based on their habit for buying up under utilized land (even utilized land like Sam the Record Man), you would think that this parking lot would make the perfect addition to the campus, especially being so close to the two main residence buildings.

I wonder if Ryerson is interested in this site. Based on their habit for buying up under utilized land (even utilized land like Sam the Record Man), you would think that this parking lot would make the perfect addition to the campus, especially being so close to the two main residence buildings.

Ryerson already turned it down. They wanted it to build a new student athletic centre. Instead, they went back to MLG with the Loblaws partnership.

Ryerson already turned it down. They wanted it to build a new student athletic centre. Instead, they went back to MLG with the Loblaws partnership.

I was aware that Ryerson was looking to build its new athletic centre there. Did they turn it down completely though? Even for just another campus building?

Back