News   Jul 12, 2024
 764     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 693     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Ryerson: Master Plan

Master Plan Update: Town Hall Meetings in January
Ryerson University's Master Planning Team, Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects and Daoust Lestage Inc. in association with Greenberg Consultants Inc. and IBI Group, has prepared a Draft Master Plan.

The Master Planning Team is holding Town Hall meetings for the Ryerson community on the following dates to ensure that all students, faculty and staff have an opportunity to hear about and discuss the Draft Master Plan:

Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Time 3:00 to 5:00 pm
Place Faculty/Staff Dining Room - POD-156

Monday, January 21, 2008
Time 2:30 to 4:30 pm

Thursday, January 24, 2008:
Time 12:00 to 2:00 pm

The Ryerson Master Plan is a bold undertaking, a 20-year blueprint to revitalize the campus and act as a catalyst for change and renewal in the unique downtown community surrounding the University.

Ryerson students, faculty and staff have given generously of their time to date, sharing perspectives and participating actively in the development of the Master Plan. I encourage everyone in the Ryerson community to attend one of the Town Hall meetings, and to share your thoughts on the Draft Master Plan with the Master Planning Team.

WHAT: Master Plan Update: Town Hall Meetings in January
WHEN: Start date/time: Monday , January 21 at 2:30 PM
End date/time: Thursday , January 24 at 2:00 PM
WHERE: Faculty/Staff Dining Room - POD-156, Podium, 350 Victoria Street

WEB SITE: http://www.ryerson.ca/about/masterplan/

As a recent student at Ryerson I feel that closing off the traffic will make it dangerous in the evening. The area is already pretty isolated at night.

There is a Tim Hortons (across from the business building) that is no longer open evenings due to safety concerns.

As someone who has lived on Gould St, I reflect your concern. Closing the street to traffic should be limited to between Victoria and Bond, with the new Victoria/Gould combo becoming one-way, allowing for sidewalk widening.

From The Star

$40M deals give Ryerson a new face

As part of campus expansion plan, university acquires new downtown properties including old Sam the Record Man site on Yonge St.

Jan 18, 2008 04:30 AM
Daniel Girard
Staff Reporter

Sheldon Levy has big dreams for his university — and his city.

The Ryerson University president sees a day when students and city residents alike will stroll through the Yonge St. entrance of his school into a mall in the heart Canada’s most urban campus. Perhaps they’ll visit the new gallery housing a renowned photography collection or pause to read a book or catch some rays on the grass of a city park few now even know exists.

While Levy’s vision for revitalization, which is taking shape in a 20-year master plan introduced 14 months ago, remains a long way from completion, it takes a big step forward today with the announcement Ryerson has spent $40 million to buy four properties, including a pair giving it a presence on Yonge St. It’s a move that also gives the university much-needed room to grow.

The focus at Ryerson, which has 24,000 students, is developing the two Yonge St. sites of former music store rivals Sam the Record Man and A&A Records for today’s students. But the other two sites will no doubt soon be put to use.

Ontario university application numbers, which are to be released today, are expected to show once again the growth in demand for spots in Ryerson’s freshman class is well above the provincial average, which is up 4.8 per cent from last year. That promises to put pressure on the already cramped campus.

“Unlike most universities, we’re not sitting on land holdings to expand unless we go and buy them,†Levy said. “As a public institution, I don’t think you can sit back and tell prospective students and their parents `Tough luck, we’re full.’.â€

Ryerson asked Queen’s Park last summer to expropriate Sam’s after talks with the Sniderman family soured. But that was not necessary as the two sides struck a deal not only for the ex-flagship store but two other family properties nearby.

“We made these moves now because the property is available now,†Levy said. “If we didn’t, they might be gone for another 100 years. Timing is everything.â€

Ryerson will first develop the former record store sites. It plans to expand its library at Gould and Victoria Sts. all the way out to Yonge St.

Ryerson, which has pledged to maintain Sam’s sign in some form, will keep the bottom floor or two as retail space. Rents will cover about $10 million worth of the mortgage on the property.
The upper floors will be occupied by a Ryerson student learning centre.

The final scope of the project will depend on the level of financial support from Queen’s Park, Levy said, noting Ryerson will also look to raise money through donors, naming rights and other methods.

“We’re not saying we don’t have an obligation to come up with more money,†he said. “But we know to be able to do anything that size we do need help from the province.â€

Colleges and universities Minister John Milloy is aware of Ryerson’s real estate purchases and plans for a Yonge St. development, said a spokesperson in his office.

“The university has approached us with a funding request and discussions are ongoing,†Annette Phillips said yesterday.

Toronto councillor Kyle Rae, whose ward includes Ryerson and the stretch of Yonge St. between Bloor and Queen Sts., called the announcement “wonderful news†that would serve as a catalyst for improving the downtown core.

“It’s so crucial for Ryerson to be on Yonge St., which it has craved for 30 years,†Rae said. in an interview. “But it also grows the diversity of the street beyond small retail. It’s great for both the community well-being and the educational vitality of Toronto.â€

Levy, who grew up in Toronto, said while some eyebrows might be raised at Ryerson spending $40 million for land, the positives certainly outweigh the negatives.

“It’s just great site to have a university on,†Levy said. “This helps secure our spot for generations come. It’s the price of being downtown.â€

Great news!

I wonder if they're planning on outfitting the existing building or if they're going to knock this one down and build something new (I hope).

Ryerson Got Sam's

It is in today's Toronto Star...

Well, I love Ryerson, I was from there...but I don't like the deal. I think Yonge St. should be for commercials, not university. How can an university make Yonge st vibrant at night? Not much. Only commercials can.

I know the article said the first floor will be for retail. But I have a suspecious on that....it doesn't seem to have any plan, just saying "first floor or two"....don't sound like a plan to me...prob just throw it in for now.

The article points out that the first two floors will be retail so I am not sure why anybody will be concerned about the street being less 'vibrant' than it already is (specially now that it will gain additional uses).

Ryerson Press Release: (I highlighted some parts)

This is a banner day for Ryerson University. We are now the proud owners of Sam the Record Man's former location at the corner of Yonge and Gould Streets, and three additional properties in the Ryerson precinct. This is a major investment in the future of the University to benefit students for generations to come. We can now begin the planning process to provide more space for programs and services needed by students, including student study space and a proposed new Student Learning Centre.

And that's not all. This morning, the Ontario Universities Application Centre released its fall 2008 application numbers, and once again, students are choosing Ryerson in record numbers. First-choice applications from secondary school students are up 12.5 per cent over 2007, more than double the provincial average of 4.8 per cent. Over the past four years, first-choice applications to Ryerson have risen almost 50%. These numbers are stunning, and tell us that students have great
confidence in the unique education and experience Ryerson offers.

Here are the details about our new properties. Ryerson has purchased Sam's directly from the Sniderman family, along with two additional properties the family owned on campus: a small office building at 110 Bond Street, and a parking lot on the west side of Church Street north of Dundas.

We've also acquired a fourth property at 351-353 Yonge St, a former Future Shop retail outlet adjacent to Sam's. The total value of the four properties is $40 million.
The acquisition of the former Sam's and Future Shop properties is a bold step forward in our Master Plan, giving Ryerson a gateway on Yonge Street and the opportunity to play a key role in redeveloping Toronto's main thoroughfare and downtown core. Almost two years ago, we declared our intention to focus on 'the University as city-builder,' and this is a step toward that goal. With energetic partnerships and great ideas, our aim is to move Ryerson and Toronto forward together.

At the Yonge-Gould corner, our first priority is to provide a state-of-the-art Student Learning Centre and student space. We will involve students, and the whole Ryerson community, in defining how best to use the space. We will continue our discussions with the provincial government for funding to assist in building, and we are working closely with the City of Toronto to ensure that the legacy of Sam the Record Man is honoured. We will also involve the local business community and our own Ryerson retail experts to identify ground-level retail opportunities.

The other two properties, the Church Street parking lot and 110 Bond Street, are strategic purchases that will provide Ryerson with much needed space and flexibility for the future. If we had not bought these properties now, when they became available, they would have been lost for many generations of future students.

It has taken the commitment and confidence of many people to bring our vision of an expanded campus and a Yonge Street presence from dream to reality. I would like to thank our Board of Governors, in particular Chair Peter Lukasiewicz and Vice-Chair Phyllis Yaffe, for their guidance and unwavering support. I would also like to recognize Councillor Kyle Rae and our MPP, the Hon. George Smitherman. Their dedication to a strong university and a vibrant downtown Toronto has provided invaluable insight and assistance.

Today's news reinforces what all of us in the Ryerson community already
know: our University is on a very fast trajectory of success and growth. I want to acknowledge and thank our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and all our many friends who are spreading the news far and wide of Ryerson successes. Working together, we are building on a strong past towards an even greater future. What a way to kick off 2008!

Sheldon Levy
President

You will "love" this one from Spacing Wire, CDL (and yes I totally second your concern):

January 17th, 2008
Close Gould Street Rally
Posted by Adam Chaleff-Freudenthaler

Ryerson University students have called a rally for Thursday, January 24 at noon to build support for making Gould St. between Victoria and Church Sts. car-free.

Ryerson Students’ Union vice-president Chris Drew (pictured) says it is expected that the university’s master plan, due out later in the year, will support closing off the two block stretch as a way of creating a safer and more connected campus. Drew was also quick to point out that their representative at city hall, Councillor Kyle Rae, has shown support for this pedestrian-friendly initiative so the rally is really about bringing the downtown neighbourhood together to show a united front and encourage speedy action from decision-makers.

Closing part of Gould St. has been a point of discussion for many years. However, because of the construction of Toronto Life Square, which brought lane restrictions to Gould and Victoria Sts., the City of Toronto put a halt to the plans. Now that construction is completed, the Ryerson community is hoping their campus-building initiative will be given the green light.

Close Gould Street Rally

Who: Ryerson students, community members and supporters of pedestrian-friendly initiatives

Where: Corner of Gould and Victoria Sts. (One block north of Dundas St., one block east of Yonge St.)

When: Thursday, January 24, 12:00-2:00PM

For more information, visit the Close Gould Street Facebook group.

Photo provided by Chris Drew.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Narrow it to a 2-lane roadway like St. George, yes - closing it, no. There are very few places in Toronto where closing down an entire street is warranted; besides, slow traffic can act as eyes on the street.

AoD

Narrow it to a 2-lane roadway like St. George, yes - closing it, no. There are very few places in Toronto where closing down an entire street is warranted; besides, slow traffic can act as eyes on the street.

AoD

I wonder if both administration and students see this as an opportunity to create a campus green space like many universities have. A good example might be King's College Circle at U of T and the central axis of McGill's lower campus.in Montreal. Both have roads as well although I believe that external traffic is now prevented from using them.
Such spaces often help give a place a sense of identity on top of just being attractive and relaxing to be in. There's not a huge amount of space along Gould so even a two lane road would compromise the value of a green space.

Gould should be closed off from Yonge to Church, only allowing the occasional service/delivery vehicle to drive though.

BTW, just saw the east side of Metropolis facing the skating rink at Ryerson - It's butt ugly, and will be probably dated within the next 10 years.

Back