309     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 858     0 

Russell Hill, The (Great Gulf/Signature Living, 7s, D+S) COMPLETE

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Retirement residences @ Russell Hill/St. Clair West by Great Gulf.

www.therussellhill.com

russell_hill_building.jpg

I've been following this one for a while. Previous plans was for a condo building however the owner was unable to get a permit to demolish the historical house and out buildings on site. It looked like the buildings were saved from demolition but years of presistence must of paid off. The building no longer stand.

"Why do retirement homes have to look like retirement homes?"

What should they look like if not retirement homes?

Maybe Holmes can help us sort out this home dilemma...

ht_holmes_070928_ms.jpg

Than again, maybe not. The building itself isn't that great - perhaps there's a render of the condo floating around for comparison?

These buildings are going after an obvious demographic. In addition we can surmise that most of the residents spent most of their lives in houses, not condos. The elderly also hate high-rises.
So that implies a conventional looking low-rise condominium, preferably in brick with a ground floor restaurant.
Not a bad looking building.

The architects are Hariri Pontarini, so I think it will probably turn out quite well.

Are you sure? That doesn't look like anything that HP ever would do (McKinsey, Schulich school). There was an older rendering for a condo by Great Gulf called the Russell Hill that was a genuine Hariri Pontarini. I think that that project fell through. Anyway, the real tragedy is that a beautiful Edwardian mansion is being (was already?) sacrificed to make way for this.

Are there any retirement condos further downtown? I can't think of any. Downtown rental buildings for retirees, yes, but the few condos for this large demographic that exist appear to be way out in Etobicroak or way up on Bayview.

There's a former medical office building that was converted into a retirement home, possibly a condo, on the East side of Avenue just South of Davenport.

Back