565     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 690     0 

Royal, Revue, Kingsway Cinemas

L

limber88

There's an article in the Star today that indicates the above 3 cinemas will close their doors at the end of june...

I wonder what will become of the spaces? I like the Revue.

C'est dommage. I like the Royal, even though it's not terribly convenient.

It's unfortunate. It leaves only the Fox and Paradise, of the Festival Cinemas chain which numbered six locations not so long ago, and the Bloor. They were a place to see movies as I think they should be seen, without the carnival arcade atmosphere of the big "plexes". Classic movie Wednesdays at the Revue will be missed. A bit more Toronto history bites the dust. :(

Hard to say what could become of them. A few theatres have been successfully remade as "event venues" (the York and the Eglinton), but there is only so much demand for such places. Maybe some innovative retailer can make use of them, as Chapters did with the old Runnymede theatre.

The Bloor, and the Mt. Pleasant are still happily with us.

Whatever goes w/the future of the Revue, DON'T GET RID OF THE FRIGGIN' MARQUEE. It is the holiest object in the whole City of Toronto and Province of Ontario, that Revue marquee...

Losing theatres like the University, Eglinton, Uptown, Palace, Runnymede etc. in the past 20 years was too sad. This is painful.

Losing theatres like the University, Eglinton, Uptown, Palace, Runnymede etc. in the past 20 years was too sad. This is painful.

I agree. The new megaplexes just can't compare.

At least in the case of the Runnymede Chapters did a great job of restoring everything...it looks great.

If "event theatres" are in any way a necessary evil, then why not that fate for the Kingsway, esp. given that the neighbourhood dynamics are a little North Toronto-esque...

From the Post:

Moviegoers fight to save Roncesvalles repertory cinema
Group attempting to secure heritage designation for theatre

Adam McDowell, National Post
Published: Thursday, June 22, 2006

Call it Revue II: The Neighbourhood Cinema Lives.

Local moviegoers have organized in a feverish effort to save the Revue, a crumbling repertory cinema in Roncesvalles Village that's slated to close at the end of the month along with several other independent theatres.

Volunteers associated with a group called Save the Revue are attempting to get the 95-year-old movie house a heritage designation, have discussed the creation of a not-for-profit corporation to run it, and may even stage candlelight vigils outside the Revue to draw attention to their cause -- anything to encourage a flicker of hope that the theatre will return in a second, possibly community-run, incarnation.

"We're moving ahead in a big way," said Susan Flanagan, who, with her husband, Mark Ellwood, leads Save the Revue.

Save the Revue sympathizers will discuss strategy at a meeting tonight, most importantly the possibility of the community pitching in to create a not-for-profit corporation to lease the theatre from its owners.

"We'd need an entity to sign a lease," Ms. Flanagan said. "We're putting all the numbers together, so I don't want to pre-judge [but] we'd need a couple of months of operating capital to get going" -- a figure that could run as high as $60,000.

"One of the options we're going to talk about [tonight] is ... to sell advanced memberships. Let's say, for $300 a year you could see unlimited movies."

Festival Cinemas, a chain that comprises five of Toronto's remaining six neighbourhood repertory cinemas, announced last month that the three locations owned by the McQuillan family -- the Revue, the Royal and the Kingsway -- will cease operations on June 30. Festival's Paradise theatre will also close.

The McQuillans, two brothers and a sister who inherited three theatres when their father, Peter McQuillan, died in 2004, own the building that houses the Revue. They have promised to do what they can to ensure it will stay a theatre after they cease operations at the end of the month.

(The family has put the Royal, which is in a lucrative location on Little Italy's College Street, on sale for $2.7-million; the family has said the sale is necessary to pay off their debts. The Kingsway, which the McQuillans lease, will close unless their landlord finds another tenant willing to operate a movie theatre.)

The McQuillan siblings crashed a June 8 meeting of Save the Revue to offer hope and advice. Chris McQuillan told attendees the family is willing to hand the building over to someone who intends to keep it as a theatre.

"If you guys are willing to put the risk and energy into running the theatre, we will support it on the building side," Mr. McQuillan told the meeting's attendees. "But we wouldn't want to be locked into that path."

The family wished the Roncesvalles community luck in coming up with a plan to save the Revue.

However, they cautioned that the challenges faced by neighbourhood theatres, such as declining revenues and the rising cost of renting prints, would be hard to overcome.

"The business has never made money," said Kate McQuillan. "My dad has never taken any money out of the company. He always put money in."

Chris McQuillan added: "Believe me, you wouldn't want to take over the business we have."

The Revue was built in 1911, making it the oldest operational movie theatre in Toronto, if not the country. Whatever happens between now and its screening of Lawrence of Arabia on June 30, Ms. Flanagan said the Revue's streak will almost certainly be broken.

"We won't be in a position to ... take it over July 1," she said. "It will likely go dark over the summer, unless a white knight comes in with some bid."

Meanwhile, the Toronto Preservation Board will hear arguments today on a proposal, launched by Ms. Flanagan, to designate the Revue as a heritage building. City staff have recommended that council protect it; the McQuillans have argued that the designation will lower the value of the building without guaranteeing it will remain a movie theatre.

Moved to Toronto Issues.

AoD

I wish these people all the best in saving the Revue. It is part of Toronto's history. Almost all of these old neighbourhood theatres are now gone.

Unfortunately the economics of the situation works against them. People are going out to the movies less and less, especially the "rep" houses. With the fast availability of DVDs, it seems that actually going to a movie theatre, especially an older one which doesn't do the first-run shows, is getting to be more and more quaint.

I will miss the Kingsway but I'm not all that surprised that it will be closing. It's been rather run-down lately and I've never seen it more than 25% full. It must cost a fortune for utilities and up-keep.

I've always considered these types of spaces to be the ideal location for a swanky, Deco-style lounge/discussion room...kind of like Camera, but with a real theatre attached. Or maybe... turn the theatre itself into a resto-lounge type of thing, much like the early Deco dinner theatres.

Perhaps Egoyan should close Camera and try his luck (and format) at The Revue instead?

Back