News   Mar 28, 2024
 245     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 284     0 

Room sizes vs. number of rooms?

neuhaus

Member Bio
Reaction score
After returning to Toronto I realized how much smaller condo units have become.
400 s.f. units are not uncommon, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths could be squeezed into a space of 750 s.f., and 800 s.f. is considered huge. I understand that real estate prices have gone up significantly and people are learning to live more efficiently.

But when bedrooms and living rooms measure just 10 feet wide, it makes for difficult furniture placement and cramped living.
So when I see a small unit with two bedrooms, I often think that it would make for a very nice one bedroom unit with more comfortable room sizes and it will feel larger when the unit is not so divided.
I have lived in 2 bedroom condos and as a single person, the extra bedroom was never used (maybe for the occasional house guest) and would rather have a nice living area (with a space for a desk as my office) in exchange for the 2nd bedroom.

At the very upper end of the scale (Four Seasons, Shangri-La, Trump, etc.) I have seen 1 bedroom units which have 1,000+ s.f., but these places are most likely used as pied-a-terres for the wealthy.

So my question is would you rather have a 700 s.f. unit with 2 bedrooms and tiny living spaces or the same size unit with 1 bedroom and larger rooms?

So when I see a small unit with two bedrooms, I often think that it would make for a very nice one bedroom unit with more comfortable room sizes and it will feel larger when the unit is not so divided.

I often think the same thing and when I visit my friend's 2 bedroom converted to 1 bedroom it's amazing and I can't imagine ever putting up a wall again.

So my question is would you rather have a 700 s.f. unit with 2 bedrooms and tiny living spaces or the same size unit with 1 bedroom and larger rooms?

This is how I look at it... Personally, I'd rather have a larger 1 bedroom unit than the same sized 2 bedroom.

When square footage is the same, less is more when it comes to the number of bedrooms. Of course, this depends on needs and personal preferences. If one was starting a family then they may want a second bedroom as a nursery. Someone might want an office, but then a whole second bedroom isn't necessary for that purpose when a 1+den would do or simply room for a desk. Typically, many 2 bedroom condos have been great for shared rentals. But I imagine that in time those shared accomodations will become too close for comfort. At 700-800sf, the only benefit in having a second bedroom for a single person or for a couple with no children is that it can double as a guest room/office. But only when you're maximizing your space. A guest room on it's own is a nice-to-have, but considering it's lack of use I would prefer a larger living area with a sofa bed.

This is a very interesting question because as there are many people purchasing condos there are just as many different lives being lived so it would be interesting to hear different perspectives.

at 700 sf, i would prefer a well executed 1+d with 1 bathroom instead of 1 full bath + powder room, or 2 full baths.
in such a small space, it's unnecessary.

i laugh then cry, any time i see anything <800 sf marketed as a 2 bedroom unit or larger.

at 700 sf, i would prefer a well executed 1+d with 1 bathroom instead of 1 full bath + powder room, or 2 full baths.
in such a small space, it's unnecessary.
That can definitely get well executed with 700 sf. What often gets me is the <600 sf 1+dens... I often find that dens simply just take away from what could be a decent living room or a bedroom that could have more than one foot between the bed and the wall. And usually there is a premium attached to having a den.

Well, I used to live in a 2 bedroom <700sqft condo, a 1 bedroom 500sqft condo, a 1bed+den 610 sqft condo and I must say, I'd rather opt for less rooms, more space...which is why I purchased a 700+ sqft 1 bedroom with a very large living room.

There's a premium attached to having a den, but I don't understand why, people that I know use their dens as storage which is a waste, really....would much rather have a large living room/bedroom than a small living room/bedroom and small den that will probably be used for storage.

It depends on a person's circumstances. My wife and I live in a 700+ sqft 1bed+den, and I wouldn't sacrifice the den for more living room space. We used it as an office/library for years, and since we had a baby last year it's been even more useful to have an actual extra room.

If the unit is for personal use purposes, I would think larger rooms are more important than more rooms ... however from the real estate resale stand point, more rooms means higher resale value (ie: 750 sq.ft. 1 bedroom would fetch less than 750 sq.ft. 1 bedroom + den), don't know why, but that seems to be the case

If the unit is for personal use purposes, I would think larger rooms are more important than more rooms ... however from the real estate resale stand point, more rooms means higher resale value (ie: 750 sq.ft. 1 bedroom would fetch less than 750 sq.ft. 1 bedroom + den), don't know why, but that seems to be the case

that may be true b/c a large 1 bedroom unit of 750 sf would be considered HUGE and an inefficient use of space,
while a 1 b+d of 750 sf would be reasonable and an 'efficient' use of space.

however, if the unit was ~600 sf, i would rather have a well laid out 1 bedroom with a larger living room/bedroom than 1 b+d where the den is a minuscule nook off nowhere with a small living room/bedroom.

regarding pricing, i think it all depends on the layout.

I just bought a pre-con 753 square feet, one bedroom only, no den, and was told my numerous people that I'd be able to rent out for much more if I made it somehow into a two bedroom. I could theoretically split up the living room, since its pretty big but it seems like such a waste to me. I am thinking of turning it into a partial den instead? I'm not sure of what I should do. It will be an investment condo.

I think there will be a premium for large 1 bedrooms eventually.

1 bedrooms are now being sold as shoe boxes (450-550sqft). 1+dens are nice....but would you really take a 600sqft 1+1 over a 750 sqft 1 bedroom (provided they both have great layouts)?

Last edited:
I just bought a pre-con 753 square feet, one bedroom only, no den, and was told my numerous people that I'd be able to rent out for much more if I made it somehow into a two bedroom. I could theoretically split up the living room, since its pretty big but it seems like such a waste to me. I am thinking of turning it into a partial den instead? I'm not sure of what I should do. It will be an investment condo.

can you post the floorplan so we can give you ideas.

how far along construction is the project?

True, as a rental having an extra room would be more desirable, especailly if the tenant has a roommate or works from home.

Personally for my own condo I prefer having just one bedroom with large living spaces, especially a large kitchen with a functional island as I like to cook and entertain.

Hi CDR, I'm not really sure how to do it, its only in a PDF file and it seems too big of a file to upload here. I posted the link below, with details.

The bedroom is 13 feet 3 inches x 11 feet and the living room dining room is 13 feet by 15 feet 3 inches.
I think have room to work with in the living room but it would make a really small bedroom and in order to have a window I'd have to cut it off at the junction of the door and living room window, doesn't leave much room for a living room and it would look kind of odd.

http://www.menelikfernandes.com/developments/one-park-west

Here is the website, its One Park West, under One Bedroom townhome, Banff is the unit. Don't know how else to do this, if you get a chance I wouldn't mind your opinion. I was thinking of doing sliding doors that can collapse if not in use.

Of course, yes I know its Regent Park, yes I know I'm taking a real chance with the reputation. I do believe that things will get better in time. I do have the worry of not being able to rent out because of this, however, it is close to downtown (10 minutes from Eaton Center) so maybe I'll get lucky.

Last edited:
Hi CDR, I'm not really sure how to do it, its only in a PDF file and it seems too big of a file to upload here. I posted the link below, with details.

The bedroom is 13 feet 3 inches x 11 feet and the living room dining room is 13 feet by 15 feet 3 inches.
I think have room to work with in the living room but it would make a really small bedroom and in order to have a window I'd have to cut it off at the junction of the door and living room window, doesn't leave much room for a living room and it would look kind of odd.

http://www.menelikfernandes.com/developments/one-park-west

Here is the website, its One Park West, under One Bedroom townhome, Banff is the unit. Don't know how else to do this, if you get a chance I wouldn't mind your opinion. I was thinking of doing sliding doors that can collapse if not in use.

Of course, yes I know its Regent Park, yes I know I'm taking a real chance with the reputation. I do believe that things will get better in time. I do have the worry of not being able to rent out because of this, however, it is close to downtown (10 minutes from Eaton Center) so maybe I'll get lucky.

do you know if the walls for all interior 'storage' units are structural or just studs and drywall?

if just studs and drywall, you could eliminate them to enlarge the bedroom area to approx 20' x 11'6" which could be split to two separate rooms, each with small window.

if structural, then you're out of luck b/c i can't see how one could divide the space any more.

Back