News   Mar 28, 2024
 191     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 607     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 369     0 

Roncesvalles, Seaton Village or St. Clair West?

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
Trying to help out a young professional family (working downtown) with children on the way moving to Toronto that want a family-friendly yet walkable, transit-friendly, progressive urban neighborhood, probably buying in the 900s-1.1M ish range. I think Roncesvalles, Seaton Village/West Annex and Hillcrest/Humewood areas all fit the bill and I'm curious what neighborhood people would pick.

Roncesvalles probably has the longest commute downtown. Though High Park is a wonderful asset and Roncesvalles is a great commercial street.

Seaton Village has a great park in it (Vermont Square), it's next to the Annex (but the Annex proper is very expensive), Palmerston school is highly regarded.

Hillcrest/Humewood has greatly improved with the St. Clair ROW and it has some really nice parks (Cedarvale Ravine, Humewood).

I would think Seaton Village you probably get a little less for your buck though, although none of these areas are exactly cheap.

Trying to help out a young professional family (working downtown) with children on the way moving to Toronto that want a family-friendly yet walkable, transit-friendly, progressive urban neighborhood, probably buying in the 900s-1.1M ish range. I think Roncesvalles, Seaton Village/West Annex and Hillcrest/Humewood areas all fit the bill and I'm curious what neighborhood people would pick.

The family must be pretty well-to-do if they can afford any of these neighbourhoods.

Also consider the Christie Pits area just west of Seaton Village, bordered roughly by Bloor, Dupont, Christie and Ossington. You'll get more bang for your buck and it's a very family-friendly neighbourhood.

I couldn't help but notice that these are all west end neighbourhoods. I would also consider Riverdale and Playter Estates on the east side. Perhaps even the beaches if that commute isn't too long.

It's easy to get really focused on a specific neighbourhood or two because it's (or they're) familiar. <<ahem shameless plug coming>> that's why we're building a new home search tool that strives to understand who you are as a person - your preferences and priorities - and find you homes across the city that fit with your personal values.

In this market, anything in the pre-amalgamated city would do just fine. 900K will either get you a nice semi or detach in some neighbourhoods while hardly getting you anything in others.

With Roncesvalles, you have High Park to the west, Sunnyside beach to the south, and the 501, 504, 505, and 506 to downtown.

And with Seaton Village (I'm sorry, but the 'West Annex' is not a thing), you have Bathurst & Christie in terms of subway access plus the 511, easy access to the 510, Christie Pits and the Annex/Koreatown strip.

My commute from St.Clair West to the Financial District is about 25 minutes in the winter. Walk to Street Car, take that to the Station and then straight down. In the Summer Time, it's about 20 minutes by bicycle. Past Casa Loma and then straight down St. George. Couldn't be happier.

In this market, anything in the pre-amalgamated city would do just fine. 900K will either get you a nice semi or detach in some neighbourhoods while hardly getting you anything in others.
Seeing this in 2024 is wild. We thought 2015 was bad. Can’t wait for studios to hit 1.5 million in 2030 o_O

$1.5M in 2030 will be worth what $900K was worth in 2016 given where inflation has been last 2 years.

Back