1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

ronald1987's summervacation: Munich, Salzburg, Udine

R

ronald1987

So on Sunday the 3rd I took the train down to Austria from Rotterdam. In 15 hours I travelled to the southern Austrian province of Carinthia. On my way, I took a break in Munich and in Salzburg to see those cities. While I stayed in Carinthia (for 5 days) we took two daytrips to Italy (Tolmezzo and Udine) and one to eastern Tirol (Lienz). Here's my itinerary:

The ICE arriving at Utrecht Central Station

The Dome of Cologne from the trainwindow

Passing through Stuttgart

The ICE arrived at Munich Central Station

Munich Central Station

Looking into Munich Central Station from the entrance. It was quite crowded as you can see.

Right in front of the station

Shopping street leading to the historical centre.

We're getting closer.

This one's for SimplyDan.

Huge fountains

Gate to the inner city

Bavarian style houses.

The City's characteristic cathedral towers appear behind buildings

To hang a basket of flowers outside your window is really Bavarian.

Perhaps there were so many people in town because of the World Cup... I bet that dude won't wear that "France" shirt anymore ;)

Quite tall

One last shot of Munich before I headed back to the railway station.

Salzburg!

One thing I noticed about Austrian cities, is that there are parks in almost every city, and that the cities are usually very clean.

Lots of buildings like this one in the centre

Not every European city has impressive churches. I find this one a bit 'lowkey'.

Rush hour in Salzburg

Random streets between the railway station and the city centre (Yes, the station is not in the city centre in Salzburg. It's about a 20 min walk from the station to the centre).

A map of the area where I stayed. Encircled are the towns I visited.

Starting with Lienz, in the Austrian province of East Tirol:

Square and park in the city centre

Courtyard of the building above.

One of those sidewalks I talked about in the other thread: store fronts on one side, and seperated from the actual streets by 'stillts'.

Another square, seperated from the other square shown earlier just by one street (the one in the picture above)

Austrian girls ...

Last shot of Lienz. By now we've left the city centre.

More pics of Spittal an der Drau, Tolmezzo and Udine will follow later (prob. tomorrow).

Very nice. Thanks.

Going west, a fifteen hour train ride would not even get you out of Ontario. However, if you have a fondness for trees you'd be in heaven.

Nice tour, ronald. That's the beauty of Europe... something cool just a short train ride away. Every time I see the word "Salzburg", that friggin' Rock Me Amadeus song goes off in my head. The curse of growing up in the 80s.

Falco_01.jpg

^LOL :D

I don't know how long trainjourneys are in N-America, but I think 13 hours isn't short at all. We did reach Frankfurt in 3 hours (from Utrecht) though. I guess where Europeans go by train, Americans and Canadians fly, because of the longer distances.

Allright, let's continue...

Spittal an der Drau is next.
What I love about Austrian cities is that there are so many plants on the sidewalks.

A nice park right next to the building seen above

The local central square, photographed whilst drinking a coffee

Same square, seen from a different angle

Spittal's streets

Close up of that building on the corner

A gate to the city center.

Now let's see some Italian cities!

Tolmezzo

Again we run into sidewalks with stillts

It was quiet on the streets, because these pics were taken around 3:30 pm, when most people were enjoying their siesta's.

One last shot of Tolmezzo:

I have lots of pics from Udine. They will follow shortly.

ronald,

You should have started your thread with: "Warning, these photos will want to make you travel!"

Thanks, and keep posting!

Okay, the last town we visited was

Udine

Udine was just too impressive.
Lots of history everywhere.
Italian cities probably have the best streetlife of all Europe, at least that's what I think. Udine reminded me a lot of Venice, which I've visited 3 years ago.

The urban fringe

Random street downtown

Alley leading to the Square of Liberty

The magnificent square itself

An old watersource

More streets

Not all streets had exclusively old buildings, every once in awhile a modern building popped up somewhere.

Another square

What you get when you order an "expresso" in Italy

One very Venice-esque building! Could have been on the Piazza San Marco.

Let's walk up this path and see what views await us on top of the hill

Building on top of the hill

Looks lush and green from above, but it's quite dense and very build-up when you see it from the ground.

Back on the ground... they could have done more to perserve this piece of art

The local cathedral

Random alley

Found this in a courtyard, just off a shopping street.
Apparently the're holding some kind of play there?

Last pic of my vacation, a streetside cafe...

Hope you enjoyed them!

Excellent photos, Ronald! Thanks! I can't wait to be back on vacation in Europe in a few weeks! Can you not get a proper espresso (like your photo) in Holland? You certainly can in Toronto!

Thanks for more of your good photos!

Train stations in Europe look a little different than here. I wonder if Union Station will look like that station in Munich, after a makeover? :lol

The street scenes are so interesting! Great street life, and great architecture, with the mix of old and new.

Great pictures - Pordenone is another great city in that area. My dad has family in Udine and the surrounding area. In fact I have heard that after Campania (the province with Naples) and Calabria (the toe), Fruili was the third larges source of Italians now living in Toronto.

Abruzzo is certainly up there too. I'd love to see the actual order if someone has it.

I don't know how long trainjourneys are in N-America,
Toronto to Vancouver train takes 72 hours. Driving the trip is shorter time wise -- about 30 hours with 2 drivers.

A flight from Halifax to Vancouver is a about 8 hours in length (direct flight, no transfers).

Train stations in Europe look a little different than here. I wonder if Union Station will look like that station in Munich, after a makeover?

Train stations in North America are a complete joke.

Most of them are deep dark cavernous caves - at least where the train arrives and departs.

Back