Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

My biggest pet peeve with the SkyDome is the inclusion of LOB on the scoreboard with runs, hits and errors. How many runners are left on base is a pointless stat unless you're into analytics. I don't know of anywhere else this is included with RHE whether it's on stadium scoreboards, TV broadcasts. or print/digital media.

I can't tell if this is just a trick of the lighting, but see that big blue strip in the roof? Is that just the reflection of the lights? It almost looks like the roof has been painted (although it doesn't help that these photos are so oversaturated.)

20220405-rogers-centre-31.jpg
The colours look like someone turned on an Instagram filter of some kind. They definitely look blue but I can't tell if it's lighting or if there's some translucency and outside light is shining through?

As it is, I used to get in to disputes with people as to whether the lighting that shines on the roof at night is purple or blue. But that's another story.

The colours look like someone turned on an Instagram filter of some kind. They definitely look blue but I can't tell if it's lighting or if there's some translucency and outside light is shining through?

As it is, I used to get in to disputes with people as to whether the lighting that shines on the roof at night is purple or blue. But that's another story.
I just came here from reading this article - https://globalnews.ca/news/8740714/blue-jays-rogers-centre-revamp/

An excerpt in relation to the revamped lighting...

“It makes thing pop, it makes things look high definition, even though they’re not,” said Paul Zuschlag, senior manager of facility maintenance, of the new lighting system. “It’s hard to explain until you see it in person.”

So that blue strip of light along the roof is from a lighting system. I wonder if the entire roof could be lit up, or would that affect players being able to track the ball during pop ups?

From the horse's mouth:
"...And a fleet of 16 upward-pointing ball-trackers have been installed around the 200 level, illuminating Rogers Centre’s roof when it's closed and about 400 feet of night sky when it’s open, allowing players to better see towering fly balls.

The system also includes 48 colour-changing RGBA (red, green, blue, amber) fixtures, making Rogers Centre one of only two MLB facilities — Miami’s LoanDepot Park is the other, having also installed it this off-season — with the ability to cascade millions of colours throughout its environment.

That means fans can expect dramatic pre- and in-game light shows, and event-specific displays such as a red-and-white theme for Canada Day or a rainbow one during Pride week. And whoever hits the Blue Jays first home run of the season this weekend will be greeted by splashy new celebration effects

“I’m most excited, honestly, about the color-changing lights," Zuschlag says. "It's a really unique feature that no one else in MLB has had before. We're really excited about it.”
"
Re: new(ish) turf:
"Previous Rogers Centre surfaces also didn’t allow the club to lay a shock pad underneath, which the new field does. It’s essentially a three-quarter-inch thick polyethylene foam pad that absorbs energy, reducing the amount balls bounce and the impact on player’s bodies as they run across it."

The seating lights sound promising. It might take them a couple years to get creative with it, but I'm excited to see it in person. Makes it more interesting when the dome is closed too. That always helps.

Maybe they can show raptor and lead highlights during the intermissions while they are in the playoffs. I have no idea why they refuse to acknowledge the other sports teams when you’re at a game. It’s craziness especially since they’re in the playoffs.

To be fair MLSE doesn't exactly show highlights from other sports/teams on the jumbotron either (maybe the odd Raptor highlight during the Leafs game or vice versa). Sure you can generally find other sports on TV's at the various bars around the stadium (Crown corner, Molson Canadian brew house), but I honestly can't think of a time where the Scotia Bank Arena video board broke to highlights from some other event during a time out.

To be fair MLSE doesn't exactly show highlights from other sports/teams on the jumbotron either (maybe the odd Raptor highlight during the Leafs game or vice versa). Sure you can generally find other sports on TV's at the various bars around the stadium (Crown corner, Molson Canadian brew house), but I honestly can't think of a time where the Scotia Bank Arena video board broke to highlights from some other event during a time out.
If the leafs or raptors were playing in October then they too should show blue jays highlights

I can see people being upset about "spoilers".
No one’s making it home from a game missing CP24 updates on the subway, hearing honking cars or seeing someone’s phone stream the game.

At least to me not showing the updates makes me think you’re not confident that people want to watch baseball versus other sports. I find it dumb but apparently I’m in the minority.

Maybe they can show raptor and lead highlights during the intermissions while they are in the playoffs. I have no idea why they refuse to acknowledge the other sports teams when you’re at a game. It’s craziness especially since they’re in the playoffs.
There are broadcast rights issues, but more importantly logistics issues. Game highlights are assembled on site of the game and added to the broadcast feed there. The jumbotron can't simply flip over to Sportsnet to show what's going on in a Leafs game. The highlight reel clips are edited together much later. In general though, NBA and NHL playoff games are delibereatly scheduled outside MLB windows. I don't think they overlap much on purpose.

Back