Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

sticking a tower on the west plaza is my guess. That or integration with the MTCC expansion from Oxford.
I'm willing to bet no tower on the west plaza, but yes, something MTCC-related. Seems the most obvious potential drama based on "it is large in scale. It does involve more than Rogers Centre"

I'm willing to bet no tower on the west plaza, but yes, something MTCC-related. Seems the most obvious potential drama based on "it is large in scale. It does involve more than Rogers Centre"

Yeah i'm going to agree, whatever happens here will be north of the Rogers Centre and to do with Oxford developing their lands and a rail deck park

And maybe action on the surface parking lots to the south?

Nothing higher than the Gardiner really can be built in the South lot that would block the view of the Rogers Centre from the lake. As per City by-Laws.

Since Oxford own everything north of the tracks between Blue Jays Way and Simcoe, this could turn into something pretty spectacular, especially if the Rogers Centre is somehow a part of the plans.

Since Oxford own everything north of the tracks between Blue Jays Way and Simcoe, this could turn into something pretty spectacular, especially if the Rogers Centre is somehow a part of the plans.

Thinking theoretically here, if Oxford plans to redevelop the MTCC and the office space north of the tracks, surely any new proposal would include a new hotel? In that case, the Marriott currently attached to the Dome would have a new home north of the tracks. This leaves Rogers open to redeveloping the entirety of the northern segment of the stadium.

From what I've read on the renovation plans, the idea is to create new, modern, fan-centric spaces. A new outfield area for fans to enter and congregate would be ideal and is only possible with removal of the stadium hotel and a northern expansion over the tracks.

Definitely makes me eager to see some renderings- agree that it has to do with Union Park and Oxford (I think there's some redevelopment opportunity on the site of the Marriott), but I'm also keen to see how they'll be dealing with the rest of the Rogers Centre.

What would they try to do to the Skydome? Will they sort of try to make a 'Sports' Retail/Entertainment district like many parks in the US, maybe along the eastern and western perimeters of the structure?

Could be very interesting if there's some attempt at introducing some retail to the spaces and making it more lively outside of game hours.

IIRC the hotel was a tack-on and not part of the original design that sits outside of the "ring" of the roof. No idea whether that means it can be surgically removed to open up the north end somehow or not, but having more of an open air feel out in the outfield would help, especially if that opens onto a new park/public space.

Agree that exterior will be a big.focus but hope they don't forget about the seating.

Very little they can do with 500 other than wider seats.

Expect major changes to the 300 and 400 levels. Too many boxes that are small and outdated. They could convert the 300 level into a Lido deck like at Rexall.

Still holding hope that they burn the 100 level rotating seats and replace them with fixed stands and proper sight lines.

Ideal would be removal of the hotel but that's asking a lot.

LED lighting in the rafters would be pretty cool - make it seem a little less gloomy on closed roof nights.

I know the season just started, but the Jays have seen record low attendances so far. If this continues will Rogers scale back on renovations?

$1 hot dogs and $5 beer's aren't bringing in the crowds.

Blue Jays Game Had Lowest Attendance On Record In Nearly A Decade Last Night

Attendance at the Toronto Blue Jays game was just 10,460 people on Monday night.

I know the season just started, but the Jays have seen record low attendances so far. If this continues will Rogers scale back on renovations?

$1 hot dogs and $5 beer's aren't bringing in the crowds.

Blue Jays Game Had Lowest Attendance On Record In Nearly A Decade Last Night

Attendance at the Toronto Blue Jays game was just 10,460 people on Monday night.

are there really $1 hot dogs? The fact that the jays cant figure out a way to sell tickets with condos all around them and a booming downtown is so sad... This is what happens when people think that the jays arent really attempting to win. Id always prefer them put the money on the field rather than a reno... but thats me.. If this was a world series team we wouldnt sell out but we would at least do 30k. The reason the yanjees are almost sell outs is because their history is that every year they will compete.... Im tired of blue jays management to cheap to spend.

Likely.

I can see certain people being fired at the same time however.
are there really $1 hot dogs? The fact that the jays cant figure out a way to sell tickets with condos all around them and a booming downtown is so sad... This is what happens when people think that the jays arent really attempting to win. Id always prefer them put the money on the field rather than a reno... but thats me.. If this was a world series team we wouldnt sell out but we would at least do 30k. The reason the yanjees are almost sell outs is because their history is that every year they will compete.... Im tired of blue jays management to cheap to spend.

That's the thing. They look at it from an analytics standpoint. I know one of the business analytics people and it is safe to say they crunch numbers too much.

Rogers wont open the purse strings to get good players but at the same time their main priority is marketing.

They want someone who looks good in an ad that the fans like.. not people who can win.

As an aside the Yankees have paid the luxury tax almost yearly it's why they have such good players. With the exchange rate and high taxes most players don't want to play here.

Rogers wont open the purse strings to get good players but at the same time their main priority is marketing.

Rogers has demonstrated that when the team has a realistic chance at winning, they will fund payroll expansion. During the Jays' last competitive run a few years back, they had among the highest payrolls in baseball.

They want someone who looks good in an ad that the fans like.. not people who can win.

This is an odd and tired trope, which was again debunked by the fact that the Jays literally yesterday traded away one of their most beloved, marketable, and physically attractive players to make way for the youth movement that forms the core of their near-to-mid-term roster strategy.

As an aside the Yankees have paid the luxury tax almost yearly it's why they have such good players. With the exchange rate and high taxes most players don't want to play here.

It is well documented that the Yankees have stayed out of the running for some of the marquee free agents over the last number of years, precisely because their ownership doesn't like the idea of wasting money on luxury tax payments.

Jays players aren't adversely affected by the exchange rate because they are paid in USD; if anything, playing in Canada increases their purchasing power because of that reality. And, to take the example of the Yankees, a player whose primary residence is in Manhattan will likely pay roughly the same in personal taxes as a player whose primary residence is in Toronto. I'm actually taxed at a lower rate living and working Toronto than I was when I lived and worked in NYC.

The difference is that the yankees will always spend even when there isnt a realistic chance of winning... it's why they went from being the bottom of the barrel a couple years ago to being a top dog again...If we would have spent the last 25 years spending money instead of trying to be cheap we would have competed. People would have looked at our franchise differently.. Both players and fans. Instead since we won we have played the woe is me that we are stuck in the red sox and yankees division card...

Back