Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Does anyone know if the new upgrades increase the minimum temperature at which they can operate the dome? It may be apocryphal, but I was always of the understanding they couldn't (wouldn't?) open or close the dome at <10C. There are definitely many days where it was nice enough out that the dome should have been open but wasn't.

Does anyone know if the new upgrades increase the minimum temperature at which they can operate the dome? It may be apocryphal, but I was always of the understanding they couldn't (wouldn't?) open or close the dome at <10C. There are definitely many days where it was nice enough out that the dome should have been open but wasn't.
Not apocryphal. The concern was low temps could result in warping and getting the roof stuck open for the winter. New opening mechanism should improve tolerances.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/tor/ballpark/roof_operation_guidelines/

You gotta figure the 500 level is a non-starter reno-wise. At most they could reduce the seat count and install wider seats, or permanently remove some sections next to the hotel.

The problem with suites is that they have too many right now - and the current ones are too small / not enough luxury options. Look for them to cut the number in half by doubling the size, and adding more "premium" suites. Under the current config it would be impractical to turn the 300s or 400s into club seats so they are pretty much stuck with the current arrangement. Maybe convert some to restaurants? Can't see them wanting to convert the hotel to suites when they are already suite-heavy.

Yeah, they do seem to have a lot of suites. My suggestion was basically to swap where they were located. Take the 400s and convert them into additional seating (maybe some restaurants), and convert the hotel suites into actual suites.

Roof testing today!
Given how there was just snow and near freezing weather the other day, safe to say the new roof system works.
DSC_1019_1.jpg

DSC_0972.jpg

DSC_0975.jpg

It opened twice during my encounters. First time was only the two central panels, and the second included the circular south panel. Still took about 20 minutes to open, but given how this was the first test of the year, that's not too surprising.

Still won't hold my breath for the roof to be open for Monday's game, even if it is 20 degrees and sunny.

Attachments

• DSC_1019_1.jpg
    DSC_1019_1.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 799
  • DSC_0975.jpg
    DSC_0975.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 1,086
  • DSC_0972.jpg
    DSC_0972.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 1,018
Roof testing today!
Given how there was just snow and near freezing weather the other day, safe to say the new roof system works.
View attachment 104554
View attachment 104556
View attachment 104555
It opened twice during my encounters. First time was only the two central panels, and the second included the circular south panel. Still took about 20 minutes to open, but given how this was the first test of the year, that's not too surprising.

Still won't hold my breath for the roof to be open for Monday's game, even if it is 20 degrees and sunny.

I believe they always open it manually the first couple of times so they can make sure it's working well. Typically they like to wait until May when the evening temperatures are warmer to have the roof open as people will complain about being cold up top.

The discussion around opening up the hotel to light is interesting, as is the idea of putting transparent roof on...unfortunately the best way to do that would have been to remove the existing roof entirely, and come up with a new design that can retract 100%, or 50% with a hole in the centre - which would give cover to the crowd during afternoon games in august when the crowd just bakes...

Unfortunately the current design is essentially in the wrong place with respect to the sun, and with the direction of play...everyone is looking to the outfield, (most of the seats are in the infield, looking to the outfield) where the screen is...and your entire view is not the hotel, but the roof...if it was gone the stadium would feel much more open...

Likewise they need to make all the windows around the entire stadium open up completely when the roof is open, this would improve air-flow, and get a breeze moving around the building...when it's hot, you can close them and turn on the AC...

In the off season they need to program the spaces outside the dome better...and program the use of the space inside better...

Another idea - once the rail deck park is in place, they could create a multi-level event space there (climbing walls, rapelling, waterslide, ropes course) and build a vertical path to the top of the stadium - with an entrance on the top of the hotel that goes through the roof into the building...and maybe have a way to walk to the top of the roof...or do like a slide thing down to the dugouts...essentially a gondola where you could watch the game from above...

http://bluejayhunter.com/2017/04/concept-video-and-ideas-for-rogers-centre-renovations-2017.html

Some of the improvements are major pieces of infrastructure: recently-completed renovations to the retractable roof and new seating. But how else could the Blue Jays use $200 million to transform the Rogers Centre from a stadium into a ballpark?

Several weeks ago, I was contacted by some students at the Ivy School of Business asking for some assistance with their pitch for Deliotte’s Annual Innovation Forum.

Deloitte enlisted HBA students to submit their ideas to improve the overall fan experience at the Rogers Centre.

Serving blue burgers? What an innovative stadium..

Seriously though, I don't see much of a change besides the weird lines on the upper floor seating.. can't quite tell whats going on there.

You gotta figure the 500 level is a non-starter reno-wise. At most they could reduce the seat count and install wider seats, or permanently remove some sections next to the hotel.

The problem with suites is that they have too many right now - and the current ones are too small / not enough luxury options. Look for them to cut the number in half by doubling the size, and adding more "premium" suites. Under the current config it would be impractical to turn the 300s or 400s into club seats so they are pretty much stuck with the current arrangement. Maybe convert some to restaurants? Can't see them wanting to convert the hotel to suites when they are already suite-heavy.

Reducing the total number of suites is indeed part of the renovation plans. I read Shapiro & Co. want to eliminate half the number of suites by combining multiple units together to create larger spaces.

Having been in a few suites over the years, they are pretty small compared to the current standard.

Back