Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Because that's one of the reasons they're kicking tires about a new stadium...lol.

As per Bo's comment, of course he didn't have to say anything, but he's trying to be the all good guy and promote his brand.

The reality is, most players hate the Skydome, so it's always questionable when a home player says "Yeah, it's a great place to play".

Anyway, I'm not going to keep going back and forth. For whatever reason, you seem to be of the minority of people that thinks it's fine, and there is a market that do think that way. Look at this thread alone, and the amount of people that are agreeing with and disagreeing with you. That right there should tell you why a new stadium has to be done.

Most of us want a ballpark where people from other cities get jealous of, and players want to play in. A ballpark that's not rated as one of the worst in baseball.

There's a reason this discussion is going on, and it's not because most people like the stadium that resembles and egg in the DT core is good enough, it's the opposite.

You're assuming this. Provide me some evidence that Rogers specifically wants to build a new stadium to increase their television numbers.

Do you honestly believe people watching on TV are thinking "I really wish this was a more pleasant stadium to look at! I think I'll no longer tune in, even though the Jays are in the playoff race."?

You're assuming this. Provide me some evidence that Rogers specifically wants to build a new stadium to increase their television numbers.

Do you honestly believe people watching on TV are thinking "I really wish this was a more pleasant stadium to look at! I think I'll no longer tune in, even though the Jays are in the playoff race."?

Yes!!! This is important to people. I'm one of them! I watch baseball games in other cities because the stadium in nice. I don't watch baseball games in Toronto because of the stadium, I watch because of the team. Anyway, see the interview I posted above.

Yes!!! This is important to people. I'm one of them! I watch baseball games in other cities because the stadium in nice. I don't watch baseball games in Toronto because of the stadium, I watch because of the team. Anyway, see the interview I posted above.

Yes, it's important to you. And I'm sure it is to a lot of other people too.

However it's clearly not important enough to prevent the Jays selling out on a consistent basis.

However it's clearly not important enough to prevent the Jays selling out on a consistent basis.

Okay, well like I said, look at this thread alone. You seem to be the only one that's sticking up for it and fine with it.

I'll let the consensus here speak for itself.

Okay, well like I said, look at this thread alone. You seem to be the only one that's sticking up for it and fine with it.

I'll let the consensus here speak for itself.

This thread is a bigger indicator than actual attendance and viewership?

A new stadium would be nice. A better fan experience would be great, no doubt. New stuff is always nice. But given other factors, don't agree tearing it down is a wise move.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Over 3 million fans in both 2016 and 2017 didn't seem to have a problem.

How could the Jays lead the league in attendance in both of those years when people are so turned off by the stadium?!

Because what other choice do they have if they want to see a game live? Fans flock to see games in spite of the stadium, not because of it. They'll also only flock in big numbers to support a winning team. Even then, we're actually closer to the bottom of the league in terms of attendance. So an advantage to a new stadium would be if done right, it would be an attraction in itself.

Out of curiosity, if the Blue Jays built a new stadium, but Rogers Centre was left intact (and used for something else), would you be on board?

Because what other choice do they have if they want to see a game live? Fans flock to see games in spite of the stadium, not because of it. They'll also only flock in big numbers to support a winning team. Even then, we're actually closer to the bottom of the league in terms of attendance. So an advantage to a new stadium would be if done right, it would be an attraction in itself.

Out of curiosity, if the Blue Jays built a new stadium, but Rogers Centre was left intact (and used for something else), would you be on board?

Bingo! Any stadium will draw fans when the team is winning, it's how you get fans in the stadium when the team isn't winning. It's with a good fan experience.

How anyone can say that since the stadium is 30-years old, it has outlived the historical limit for this kind of stadium is astonishing.
Just mind boggling.
This building is primarily made of concrete and steel - the lifespan of the stadium construction is closer to 100-years than 30-years.

Bingo! Any stadium will draw fans when the team is winning, it's how you get fans in the stadium when the team isn't winning. It's with a good fan experience.
Well now you've convinced me that we should keep SkyDome since that will incentivize the Jays to put a winning team on the field. If they can fall back on "fan experience" to make money we'll never see another World Series winner!

How anyone can say that since the stadium is 30-years old, it has outlived the historical limit for this kind of stadium is astonishing.
Just mind boggling.
This building is primarily made of concrete and steel - the lifespan of the stadium construction is closer to 100-years than 30-years.

It may be a 100 year lifespan but again the MLB has standards along with the need for suitable and updated amenities.

Just because it is built to last 100 years doesn't mean you can use it that long.

This is not true.

In both 2016 and 2017 the Jays led the AL in attendance.

A new stadium would be an attraction, but that effect is short lived. For all the praise Camden Yards gets, it hasn't had any sort of impact on attendance for decades. They were 1st or 2nd in attendance for about 9 years after the stadium opened (which coincided with some successful years), but after that attendance dropped off significantly.

Even in subsequent years where they had good teams that made the playoffs, their attendance wasn't impressive:

2012 - 7th/14
2014 - 6th/15
2016 - 10th/15

That's a 5 season run of success with 3 playoff appearances and only once did they finish in the top half of AL attendance, despite having a stadium everyone apparently loves.

It really depends on the situation and what they use it for. Probably not - I don't think a stadium is a great use of land for available locations downtown (and I do think the stadium needs to be downtown).

I’m loving this thread. It’s as heated as the Scarborough subway extension thread.

I went to the Cleveland park and noticed the skyline for maybe ten minutes and then I just watched the game. I mean why would I pay money just to watch a view. Damn it there are cheaper ways to do this. I could just ride the ttc back and forth over the bloor viaduct. And is this a commentary on baseball that it needs a view in order to get peoples attention. When TFC blocked in the Toronto view from the west there was maybe all of five minutes of sadness and then people just kept going and watching the games. If people go to games when there is a winning product and the sky dome is so great when it’s full then why doesn’t Rogers just pour money into the payroll versus attempting to build a new multi billion stadium. Did the maple leafs get public money for air Canada centre? I don’t see why the jays should get money to blow up a perfectly good stadium.

Reactions: syn
This is not true.

In both 2016 and 2017 the Jays led the AL in attendance.

A new stadium would be an attraction, but that effect is short lived. For all the praise Camden Yards gets, it hasn't had any sort of impact on attendance for decades. They were 1st or 2nd in attendance for about 9 years after the stadium opened (which coincided with some successful years), but after that attendance dropped off significantly.

Even in subsequent years where they had good teams that made the playoffs, their attendance wasn't impressive:

2012 - 7th/14
2014 - 6th/15
2016 - 10th/15

That's a 5 season run of success with 3 playoff appearances and only once did they finish in the top half of AL attendance, despite having a stadium everyone apparently loves.

It really depends on the situation and what they use it for. Probably not - I don't think a stadium is a great use of land for available locations downtown (and I do think the stadium needs to be downtown).
I’m not sure what the Rogers Centre can used for other then baseball. It is too small for an NFL. Stadium (about 10,000 seats) plus u would have to add all the new amenities NFL stadium have now, also the Rogers Centre is to big for anything else for it too make enough money to keep the lights on. One of the things that I can see is a total renovation of Rogers (every inch of it plus adding more footprint to Rogers you put in a NFL team then u move Toronto FC (similar what u have in Atlanta and Seattle) by doing this you get an immediate 45 plus events and unlike football and baseball the dimensions of soccer and football are better fitted if done properly. BMO is a really nice stadium but one issue it is not under full control by MLSE, as a Toronto FC I have hoped that MLSE would buy BMO Field from the city I’m not sure if that is even possible.

Back