News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 3.8K     4 

Rogers Centre Renovation Update

T

TO Tower Fan

What to expect:

- New private boxes, double the size of the current ones, that will replace the old ones
- Windows Restaurant will be replaced with a Bar-like deck that fans can visit mid inning and the glass windows will be removed.
- They are considering replacing the blue seats with green ones (a huge mistake in my opinion)
- Renovations to the exterior of Rogers Centre as well. The concrete facade may be covered up by reflective blue glass facade.
Apparently the bridge that goes over the train tracks from by John street will now extend into the rogers centre and create a pavillion like entrance....similar to the ACC. The bridge will be taller, and much more wider that will open up the area a bit more.
- HD televisions in the new private boxes and replacing the old ones in the 100 level concourse (the ones you watch while standing in the beer line).

I they are going to replace the seats I hope they space them out a bit more and give a lot more leg room. I 6’6†and although I’m a fan of the Blue Jays I don’t go to the games because my legs get all cramped up.

The rest of the renovations sound promising.

Not a fan of removing the Windows Restaurant, I think its one of the best looking features in the dome.

31563328.jpg

I guess aslong as they make it look good. The other renos sound alright minus the green seats.

The new facade and new bridge sound interesting. The other elements don't matter that much. I think green seats wouldn't look that great and I think a restaurant with a view has more draw than standing around between innings.

I think the "bar-like deck" they are proposing for Windows would be more appropriate in the outfield of the 100 level. Replace the existing seats there with bleacher benches, sell the seats there and standing room tickets for extra cheap, and start a tradition of "hardcore" Jays fans that sit there.

They should cover the inside of the doom roof with relfective mirrors and Toronto will then be on every highlight reel around the world as you watch outfielders try and find the ball only to have it come down on their heads.

I just went to a game in Pittburgh which has a brand new stadium and though I was a partial fan of the dome before I definetly think it should go now. There were some many things that the PNC park offered...it made the game a much more enjoyable experience. Given that Rogers is not that old there is no way we will see it go anytime soon. The only real way to improve the experience there is to get more fans out. They need 30,000+ a game to make it fun. Their marketing is awful...there is so much more they can be doing. Seeing how things were done with the Pirates made me wonder if the Jays marketing staff has ever been to another stadium. That glass covered restaurant has to go...in 5 or so games there this year I have seen maybe 20 people in it. It is very dated and only adds to the vacuous feel of the space. An open air bar would be nice start.

The cladding and bridge ideas sound interesting, but the green seats sound awful. More leg room, etc. would be nice, but keep them blue.

An open air bar is also a good idea.

Funny thing is that the existing bridge is an award-winner, and some might say (or might have said c1989) the best part of the Skydome urban ensemble...

I just went to a game in Pittburgh which has a brand new stadium and though I was a partial fan of the dome before I definetly think it should go now. There were some many things that the PNC park offered...it made the game a much more enjoyable experience.

That's interesting, considering Pittsburgh isn't a good team and their average attendance this year (23 142, from tsn.ca) is a little short of Toronto's (23 432). The idea of "build it and they will come" with retro ballpark is no longer true (look at Detroit, for example). I think some teams (especially bad teams) are using ballpark attractions to get people to come to the ballpark, and then to distract them from watching the home team get slaughtered at the ballgame.

Too true wylie...the game i was at was a sellout...only 37,000 something...but a beautiful park and a nice day equals fun for all win or lose. Of course the Pirates have been around forever so the fan base is much more solid than the Jays win or lose!

Yeah, the coloured lights are back! They seem to be between purple and blue. I'll be able to tell a little better once the roof is closed tonight.

I'm VERY happy about this. The white lights bored me.

Back