News   Apr 18, 2024
 623     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Roads: Keep the Gardiner, fix it, or get rid of it? (2005-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing is - even with Lakeshore properly "tamed", the space underneath the Gardiner (esp. the central section) will still remain rather oppressive in nature, such that the usage of that space for a E-W pedestrian connection is doubtful.

AoD

^ As an E-W connection, absolutely. But minus the Lakeshore, the Gardiner need not be a problem for N-S connections at all.

Well, I'm going to throw an idea here which I'm not even sure if it's feasible or not - how about moving the Gardiner to run under the water of the lake - this way they wouldn't have to dig under the city...

SNF:

You're right about that, of course re: N-S connections - in fact there is a proposal from 2003 by aA/pA/Pace Architects that sort of see adapative reuse of the space underneath for other purposes. I still have that report (70+MB worth) in pdf format - if anyone wants it, let me know.

rxj:

I think there was a private sector proposal that would see the Gardiner pushed underwater in exchange for development rights on the site. From a technical standpoint is probably problematic - esp. with regards to the on and off ramps, relocation of existing waterfront infrastructure, etc.

AoD

Still waiting for a response re: "nuggets" and N/S connects on the east waterfront... where are you, what are you doing?

Last try. Hope you passed your exams.

If the highway comes down what should be done with this building? Just demolish it, or reconstruct it somewhere else?
bathurst.jpg

Also, where was HOK Canada during this planning process? They've seem to come up with a great plan for Dubai's waterfront. Would've been nice to see what plans they could have had for us. I'm sure they must have submitted something. I wonder if theirs anyway we can see some of the other submissions.
HOK Canada

Whistler:

That's 500 Lakeshore - the ex-Loblaws warehouse that they are going to turn into a store. They propose gutting the building, rebuilding the interior and putting a parking garage at the back, where the Gardiner now stands.

AoD

Interesting but I think the Gardiner is a little to wide for that.

Put a streetcar ROW on there, and bikelanes, and you can totally "highline" the Gardiner.

I don't think that would work out well at all. Why have a streetcar line 50 feet in the air, and not on the, oh, I don't know... street?

My preference would be to see the elevated portion of the Gardiner demolished. But I think that a ground-level highway could be as much a barrier to the lake as the present Gardiner is. A portion could be burried, but I'm sure the price could go up considerably. Creating a multi-lane boulevard would be nice, but the traffic would be a big problem.

Don't get me wrong - I'd prefer the Gardner gone, and a ROW down the middle of Lakeshore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back