News   Sep 24, 2021
 412     1 
News   Sep 24, 2021
 776     3 
News   Sep 24, 2021
 689     0 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

adma

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't they already have an even more vivid example of a "St. Jamestown" to the E on Mabelle Road?

scarberiankhatru

Member Bio
Reaction score
North York has its downtown, although it's hardly what some imagined. Scarborough has something of a central focus.

Well, maybe it didn't live up to Mel-galomaniacal dreams of being the second centre of the universe, but few, other than folks like UTers (or journalists or proto-UTers who lived in North York pre-subway), are aware of a disconnect between what is and what might have been. The other 99% of people that aren't "some" are regularly surprised by how it's incrementally - visibly, year by year - becoming downtown-lite. It's not a real downtown, though...more like a main street on steroids.

And, sad to say, "something of a central focus" is just about as positive an endorsement of Scarborough Centre as can be managed. That's what happens when you build a downtown around a mall!

doady

Member Bio
Reaction score
Actually of all the suburban downtowns, North York Centre has most people commuting to it so North York actually has the strongest "central focus" by far. Mississauga is second place. Scarborough actually has a very weak core in comparison.

This according to the maps in this GTTA report on pages 32-37.

So what can be said to endorse Mississauga City Centre?

It's not in Scarborough?

N

notyouagain

any updates, anyone?

Haven't heard a thing in a long time. Is this going ahead or what?

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
It's at least on a proper grid and will be easier to fix.

You got to be kidding?

Have to taken a waking tour 1km around that place?

Anth

Member Bio
Reaction score
You got to be kidding?

Have to taken a waking tour 1km around that place?

Of course I have; I live there. It's huge, but it at least doesn't have weird curves and ramps to the extent SCC does. That's why I think it'll be easier to deal with in comparison.

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
Haven't heard a thing in a long time. Is this going ahead or what?

Well, the final EA was approved back in December, and I think, but don't quote me on this, council provided funding for this in this year's budget, so something should happen in the next few months. I'm guessing all the engineering and construction schedule are being prepared at the moment. Everything government initiated seems to take forever though, so I can really sympathize with your impatience! This horrible interchange can't be demolished soon enough. Naturally the process will be dragged out much longer than it could be by going in stages - gotta make endless concessions to cars, of course.

carrefour

Member Bio
Reaction score
Mississauga is easier to "fix" (although, I prefer to say "urbanise") because :

* yes, it is not Scarborough
* its council have begun to realise the evils of suburban development
* Mississauga has a vision to make a name for itself

regarding Six Points : roundabout, definitely. Much easier than all this other nonsense. If drivers are too damn stupid to make it around a cirlce, they shouldn't have been issued a driver's licence.