News   Apr 16, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     7 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I posted a while ago asking where the future 407 connection to the 35/115 would be, and got the answer that it will be a few KM south of where the 35 and 115 split. If they did upgrade that gap between them, I could potentially see them numbering it as 407, even if it isn't tolled. That gap would need to be upgraded though, which I don't think it will be.

As for 400-series standard highways that are not numbered as such, they're often upgraded portions of a much longer route (ex: Highway 7 to Carleton Place, Highway 8 in Kitchener). I can see in a sense why this is, but at the same time I think it creates a discontinuity in people's minds. I think a solution may be to number the upgraded section something with a 400 series designation, but to run the original route as a co-signed concurrency. An example of this is Highway 115, where part of it is also signed as Highway 7, which continues eastward after 115 ends.

A potential option for Carleton Place would be to sign the 4-lane portion as Highway 415, with both 7 and 15 continuing along that route to the interchange with the 417. For Kitchener, sign the Highway 8 connector to the 401 as Highway 418, with the 7/8/85 expressway section being numbered Highway 408. Once the Highway 7 bypass between Kitchener and Guelph is built, that and the Hanlon can be signed a single highway, since neither of those highways are likely to be extended east or north of their immediate future terminus points. That way, all of those highways appear as part of the 400-series network.

Another interesting fact: When built, Highway 417 was the only highway in the 400-series system that was not connected to another 400-series highway, until the completion of Highway 416 in the late 1990s.

Another interesting fact: When built, Highway 417 was the only highway in the 400-series system that was not connected to another 400-series highway, until the completion of Highway 416 in the late 1990s.

Not quite. Highway 402 was not connected to Highway 401 for many years after its designation (it being a freeway approach to the Blue Water Bridge bypassing Sarnia); Highway 406 did not connect to the QEW (Highway 451) until the early 1980s, though the QEW connection was planned when Hwy 406 was first being built.

Not quite. Highway 402 was not connected to Highway 401 for many years after its designation (it being a freeway approach to the Blue Water Bridge bypassing Sarnia); Highway 406 did not connect to the QEW (Highway 451) until the early 1980s, though the QEW connection was planned when Hwy 406 was first being built.

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say that it was the LAST highway in the 400-series system to not connect to the rest of the system. I didn't know the info about the 402 and 406 though, very interesting.

On a semi-related note, what are the odds of the 406 being renumbered so that 406 can be assigned to the Hanlon? It would certainly make more sense, and would follow the recent convention of naming the 400-series highway after the highway that it upgraded or bypassed.

A potential option for Carleton Place would be to sign the 4-lane portion as Highway 415, with both 7 and 15 continuing along that route to the interchange with the 417. For Kitchener, sign the Highway 8 connector to the 401 as Highway 418, with the 7/8/85 expressway section being numbered Highway 408. Once the Highway 7 bypass between Kitchener and Guelph is built, that and the Hanlon can be signed a single highway, since neither of those highways are likely to be extended east or north of their immediate future terminus points. That way, all of those highways appear as part of the 400-series network.

The Hanlon (Highway 6) actually has real potential to be further extended south of the 401 as part of the long awaited Morriston Highway 6 bypass. South of the 401, potential route alignments show the extension connecting to the current 6 south to Hamilton.

The Hanlon (Highway 6) actually has real potential to be further extended south of the 401 as part of the long awaited Morriston Highway 6 bypass. South of the 401, potential route alignments show the extension connecting to the current 6 south to Hamilton.

And Hwy 6 has been receiving gradual improvements from Hamilton to the 401. At some point it is expected to become an expressway (potentially incrementally by creating overpasses (similar to Hwy 11) and then by expropriating the few properties that are directly on the highway).

I expect that once the replacement Hwy 7 is complete the next phase of the development will be to first complete the grade separation of Hwy 6 through Guelph to the 401, then the Morrison bypass and finally the above changes to the rest of Hwy 6. It will create a viable alternative access to Waterloo.

MTO seems interested in building the Morriston bypass soon, which is a huge protect that includes some other things like another interchange on the Hanlon and changing the Hanlons 401 interchange from a trumpet to a full flyover.

This report regarding the 401 widening from Hespeler Rd. in Cambridge to Halton sheds some light on the plans for Highway 6. It recommends the trumpet interchange at the Hanlon be replaced (pg. 83) and Hwy 6 run concurrently with Hwy 401 on auxiliary lanes (pg. 55) before they exit at a location slightly west of the current Hwy 6 South interchange (pg. 89). The current 6 South interchange would be closed on the south side of the 401 with Brock Road curving west after crossing the 401 and meeting Hwy 6 just south of the 401 at its new alignment. New ramps would connect to a roundabout on Brock Rd that would also connect to the existing Hwy 6 alignment. It's a bit confusing and much easier to understand when looking at the diagram.

I expect that once the replacement Hwy 7 is complete the next phase of the development will be to first complete the grade separation of Hwy 6 through Guelph to the 401, then the Morrison bypass and finally the above changes to the rest of Hwy 6. It will create a viable alternative access to Waterloo.
And alternative route, but not a preferable route. It's 5 km longer than 401/7/85. A good backup if there's an accident or congestion.

When are they going to demolish the flyover from Highway 420 to QEW Fort Erie. It doesn't make sense to have a flyover and a loop ramp for a route that so few vehicles use.

When are they going to demolish the flyover from Highway 420 to QEW Fort Erie. It doesn't make sense to have a flyover and a loop ramp for a route that so few vehicles use.

Maybe MTO is concerned about weaving from the traffic entering from the Dorchester on-ramp if 420 traffic were to use the loop ramp instead of the flyover.

What data is there to support the demolition?

Looks like theres an intersection on the way to the loop: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.0963917,-79.1148081,502m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I agree though, that flyover is a rare example of overbuilt highway infrastructure in Ontario.

True. Only thing I can think of is that it's being kept to serve as a connector for the potential future Southern Niagara Highway: http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2013/01/29/province-backs-new-south-niagara-highway
Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Peninsula_Highway

That would make getting from Niagara to Welland easier...but I doubt there are a significant number of trips using this route.

But really the population of Niagara Region seems to be stagnant or even declining. Everyone is moving to the GTA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Property acquisition for the new Highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph is complete.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5537853-all-land-purchased-for-new-highway-7/

GUELPH — Properties the province needs to construct the new Highway 7 between Guelph and Kitchener have been purchased.

"However, we have agreements with several former property owners and tenants to stay longer in their buildings on a case-by-case basis, and where it won't impact the construction schedule," Ministry of Transportation communications co-ordinator Liane Fisher wrote Wednesday in an email. About $70 million was expected to be spent acquiring 87 properties.

Once work begins, the new 18-kilometre highway corridor is expected to take five construction seasons to finish.

Fisher said Wednesday advance construction begins shortly in Kitchener, including widening the Guelph Street bridge. Guelph Street will be closed under Highway 85, the north-south expressway, between the middle of May and beginning of October. Utility relocations at Victoria Street are to be done between the fall and 2016.

I love the cityscape developing around the 401 throughout Toronto.

1280px-Highway_401_in_Toronto.jpg

Source: ME!

Back