News   Mar 28, 2024
 284     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 328     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 687     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Not really. Too many businesses and home/farm driveways on #9. This setup is best for places in the middle of the wilderness where a 4-lane divided highway isn't warranted.
Highways 11 & 35/115 seem to do just fine with driveway access. I don't see why it would make a huge difference. Maybe include turn around loops at strategic intervals for better access to properties if that is the concern. All 2+1s are are just worse RIROs. In fact, Hwy 9 east of Orangville has a high enough traffic volume to warrant 4 lanes. Maybe it could actually be turned into a RIRO someday.

Last edited:
Highways 11 & 35/115 seem to do just fine with driveway access. I don't see why it would make a huge difference. Maybe include turn around loops at strategic intervals for better access to properties if that is the concern. All 2+1s are are just worse RIROs. In fact, Hwy 9 east of Orangville has a high enough traffic volume to warrant 4 lanes. Maybe it could actually be turned into a RIRO someday.

I can't see Ontario building any more Right in, Right out (RIRO) expressways in this day and age. Upgrades will come by three methods these days - 4 laning, building a divided highway (with intersections) or going with a full-blown freeway design.

I'd for sure love to see some 2+1s in the north though. Having that median, even if very close to the opposite direction of traffic, will make things safer and make drivers themselves feel safer. The median could be especially helpful on 17 around Lake Superior, as crosswinds blowing off the lake can sometimes knock 18-wheelers into the oncoming lane(s).

MTO has relatively active plans to extend the Highway 35 RIRO to Lindsay at some point in the future, and I believe they have "back of the napkin" plans to eventually do the same to Highway 6 from the 401 to 403 at some point as well.

RIRO is a solution that works in a lot of locations, and isn't actually that unsafe until you get to very high traffic volumes (such as 11 is getting to between Orillia and Barrie).

You need frequent options to turn around (overpasses) on a RIRO for it to work properly though, which gets expensive in sparse areas like Northern Ontario,

Most likely if you were to build a 2+1 on 11/17 you would just put a small turn lane and gap in the barrier for any driveways. BC regularly does this on the 4 lane parts of Highway 1 there.

Not sure where to drop but saw this for Niagara, Ontario's first Diverging Diamond! Near Niagara Outlets Mall. The photo used is from the US and couldn't find the plans anywhere.

Exciting. Is this the first diverging diamond interchange in Canada? Ontario?

The days of the folded diamonds (aka parclo b4) in Ontario are probably numbered. There are a number that could be converted to newer options that use less land, thus freeing up land for other uses.

Exciting. Is this the first diverging diamond interchange in Canada? Ontario?

The days of the folded diamonds (aka parclo b4) in Ontario are probably numbered. There are a number that could be converted to newer options that use less land, thus freeing up land for other uses.
First in Ontario. There are two others in Canada, one in Alberta (Macleod Trail and 162nd Avenue in Calgary) and the other in Saskatchewan (Pilot Butte & the Trans-Canada outside of Regina).

Cut and pasted from the PDF...

1623339482234.png

1623339509441.png

1623339534978.png

1623339556129.png

1623339577544.png

1623339601433.png

That's under construction now. The Airport Road Loop Ramp will improve access to Virgil / Niagara on the Lake which right now has quite awkward freeway access.

^ that thing looks super confusing. Does anyone know of a good video of one of these in practice?
I'd think that, unlike a roundabout, that the diverging diamond would be pretty invisible to most drivers, who'd simply follow the signage. (though if the roundabout was big enough, that would be also be true - but that's a big waste of land, and seldom seen)

I haven't driven through a Diverging Diamond but from the videos of them I have seen they seem pretty straightforward when using them.

They are annoying for pedestrians as you have to cross to the middle to cross one (sort of like Highway 7 on the 400), but for drivers the roads are streamed well enough there isn't really any confusion as to where you have to go.

I know MTO is planning a second one at Mapleview Drive in Barrie on Highway 400 as well.

Back