News   Mar 28, 2024
 57     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Which is weird as it's Regional Rd. 1. And I also don't get why Simcoe County Rd. 4 doesn't continue through Bradford to meet up with it.
Simcoe County Rd. 4 route doesn’t continue through Bradford as that section of roadway is maintained by the town of BWG and not the county. And also, almost nobody refers to Hwy 11 east of Bradford as “Regional Road 1”.

Which is weird as it's Regional Rd. 1. And I also don't get why Simcoe County Rd. 4 doesn't continue through Bradford to meet up with it.
Its Regional Road 1 because Regional Road was given to King Road, prior to the downloading, so Yonge Street got "Regional Road 1" since its the main street of the region. People call it Highway 11, because its called Highway 11. That's the name of the street. Notice how there is no indication of "Regional Road 1" on the road sign.

Simcoe County Rd. 4 route doesn’t continue through Bradford as that section of roadway is maintained by the town of BWG and not the county. And also, almost nobody refers to Hwy 11 east of Bradford as “Regional Road 1”.

The county should take it over so there would be continuity to the route. If York Region can maintain urban roads, then Simcoe County can, considering BWG isn't even a separated municipality. This would be a rare case of a logical urban county road for route continuity.

Labelling it Hwy. 11 doesn't even make sense as the current beginning of 11 as a split from the 400 north of Barrie doesn't relate to this road at all anymore.

The county should take it over so there would be continuity to the route. If York Region can maintain urban roads, then Simcoe County can, considering BWG isn't even a separated municipality. This would be a rare case of a logical urban county road for route continuity.
Actually, YR often doesn’t maintain the downtown sections of regional road, for example as the sections of Yonge St. going through the downtowns of Aurora and Richmond Hill are not maintained by the region, rather their respective municipalities. The maintenance of the route through Bradford by the county would not make very much sense. Nonetheless, maybe the route could be signed along Dissette and Bridge Streets.

Last edited:
It's actually a little confusing because York Region's own website identifies 'Regional Rd.1' as "Highway 11/Yonge St." As a regional road, it is actually discontinuous through Aurora and Richmond Hill. To further confuse, Yonge St. is identified as the name of an East Guillimbury municipal road heading north from Holland Landing (which I believe may be the original routing).

The Region may have opted to retain 'Highway 11' or 'Highway 7' as formal road names simply to ease the transition burden on residents and businesses, or simply as a way to end-run local squabbling over assigning another name that is consistent for the route through the region.

Besides, regardless of formal designations, local convention may continue historic designations titles in informal usage. I don't know anyone that uses the term 'County Rd 4' for the former Hwy 11/Yonge St. in Simcoe. Local or historic names given to numerical routes is not uncommon.

Edit - sorry for the duplication to the above post.

terag51:
Actually, YR often doesn’t maintain the downtown sections of regional road, for example as the sections of Yonge St. going through the downtowns of Aurora and Richmond Hill are not maintained by the region, rather their respective municipalities. The maintenance of the route through Bradford by the county would not make very much sense. Nonetheless, maybe the route could be signed along Dissette and Bridge Streets.

I wonder why YR even has regional roads in urban municipalities at all then. The urban areas are much more extensive than just the downtowns. If it doesn't make sense for counties to maintain urban roads in small towns, then it makes even less sense in highly urbanized RMs.

Besides, regardless of formal designations, local convention may continue historic designations titles in informal usage. I don't know anyone that uses the term 'County Rd 4' for the former Hwy 11/Yonge St. in Simcoe. Local or historic names given to numerical routes is not uncommon.

That itself is confusing as the former 11 through the Bradford area doesn't relate to the actual 11 north of Barrie as an obvious single route as I mentioned. For former highways like 7 or 50 it makes sense for continuity, though I'd like actual street names for them: Albion Rd. would be obvious for Hwy. 50 to the south edge of Bolton.

Wonder if this will be about removing the tolls on 412 and 418?

Or maybe GO Bowmaville news.
1618409146513.png

I still don't think there should be tolls on the 412 or 418 until you are 100% going to the 407.

Going northbound, tolling shouldn't begin until after the Hwy 7/Winchester Road exit on the 412 and the Taunton Road exit on the 418.

I still don't think there should be tolls on the 412 or 418 until you are 100% going to the 407.

Going northbound, tolling shouldn't begin until after the Hwy 7/Winchester Road exit on the 412 and the Taunton Road exit on the 418.
It's not crazy expensive - I use the 412 occasionally to get to Highway 7. It costs like $2, and is 5-10 minutes faster than taking Lakeridge depending on traffic. It's either pay $2 and get to highway 7 quickly and easily, or use Lakeridge and slog up there at 75km/h behind some dump truck and hit every damn red light.

Why no toll?

Why no toll?
I agree that there should be no tolls on the 412 or 418.

One of the arguments made is that it is unfair to Durham residents that they have to pay to drive on the 412/418, while the residents of other regions don’t have to pay to use their North/South links, ex. Hwys 410, 427, 404 are free to drive on. Unfortunately, the province does not seem willing to remove the 412/418 tolls, and most people looking to head north of the 401 will continue to exit at Lakeridge rather the 412 because no one wants to pay the toll and rightfully so.

It is really a shame to see these brand new toll highways almost empty... so empty to the point that if they closed one lane in each direction, it would probably still be under capacity.

Back