News   Apr 23, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 341     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 571     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

If the signage at the the Ford drive exit doesn't say it takes you to the 403 then you can't complain about the signage. The problem lies between the driver's chair and the steering wheel.
The problem is that the signage lied for a few weeks, telling drivers the 403 exit was further down while in reality you had to take Ford Drive still. Drivers kept taking the Ford Drive exit despite the signage, then when the ramp did open there was no signage to tell them that it had changed.

Last edited:
Traffic cameras is now available on the 410 to Queen Street and on the 400 to King Road: https://511on.ca/#:Alerts
Even though these cameras have been working for a while now (many months, maybe even a year), they were just added to the website today for some reason.

As far as I am aware now, the only cameras missing from the website are on the 401 from Hurontario to at least Mississauga Road
(there is also a camera at the 400-401 interchange that is also not available to the public)

the cameras show that the 400 widening now looks more or less complete minus the lane painting. Looks like the HOV will open in early 2021.

Ahhh... thanks for the replies. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. I commute to Hamilton 2-3x a week and this week it's been a nightmare coming back in the evenings.

I had a similar confusion on the 401 eastbound near the 418. Google maps wanted me to exit at holt rd (which the off ramp for the 418). Not knowing this and wanting to avoid the toll road I stayed on the 401 and missed the exit. The signage didn't make it clear that holt rd was accessed separately from the 418.

Viewing on Google maps now I see that the holt rd exit sort of piggy backs on the 418 interchange system.

So it's Google's/GPS's fault?

Maybe every single route change should be held up until they are assured every geo platform - based out of gawd knows where - is up to speed. Faulty signage aside, I thought we were responsible for our own actions.

Maybe every single route change should be held up until they are assured every geo platform - based out of gawd knows where - is up to speed. Faulty signage aside, I thought we were responsible for our own actions.

I know this spot well.

In fairness, the story describes the night as foggy.

And there is a real road, plus parking for the adjacent supermarket just meters away:

1607791892125.png

A close-up for context:

1607791937644.png

I would like to think I wouldn't make this mistake............and fortunately haven't made a similar one thus far, knock wood.

But this is one of those rare stories, where if there was heavy fog I can understand how it might happen.

Last edited:
Internet news hits are full of similar stories. I don't use GPS (I'm a map guy) but have been on bike rides where one of the lads did, and notice that it takes us on some of the damnest routes to get from A to B.

Apple Maps caused many stories of people driving into lakes, or for hours down old logging trails.

People seem to be remarkably uncritical when taking directions. I had a coworker who confessed to being half-way to Owen Sound before they realized the turned the wrong way on Highway 10.

I feel like this is a bit of sensationalism on the reporters side. While yes this is part of lake huron it is a developed harbour just like any other harbour on any other body of water around the world. The headline made me think that she drove into some random undeveloped part of the lake. As someone mentioned I've been here as well and there are roads that a very close to the water.

I feel like this is a bit of sensationalism on the reporters side. While yes this is part of lake huron it is a developed harbour just like any other harbour on any other body of water around the world. The headline made me think that she drove into some random undeveloped part of the lake. As someone mentioned I've been here as well and there are roads that a very close to the water.

The Internet is full of similar 'GPS fail' stories (accuracy notwithstanding). I just just picked the first one I saw with a local flavour.

Back