News   Apr 24, 2024
 274     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 493     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 481     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

The 407 all the way to the 115/35 is now showing, but isn't it still missing the 418 between the 407 and 401?

1576002726002.png

Again, it takes time. First it shows up on maps, then maps starts displaying traffic, and actually will direct you onto it when looking for directions.

I wonder just how much traffic will use the new 418 ramps (418 NB - 407 EB, 407 WB - 418 SB). There are only 2 interchanges between the 418 and 35/115. Seems expensive to enter the 407 from either of these or the 35/115 to access the 401 rather than just using the 35/115 itself. Entrance fee / camera charge just doesn't seem worth it and I don't expect the 401 to be super-congested often here... That will usually happen east of the 418.

Same goes for 418 SB- 401 WB, 401 EB - 418 NB to a similar extent.

The 407 all the way to the 115/35 is now showing, but isn't it still missing the 418 between the 407 and 401?

View attachment 219447
The text for the Kirby hamlet moved to the east near the wind turbines. The actual hamlet is still south of the interchange between Highway 407 and Highways 35/115.

I wonder just how much traffic will use the new 418 ramps (418 NB - 407 EB, 407 WB - 418 SB). There are only 2 interchanges between the 418 and 35/115. Seems expensive to enter the 407 from either of these or the 35/115 to access the 401 rather than just using the 35/115 itself. Entrance fee / camera charge just doesn't seem worth it and I don't expect the 401 to be super-congested often here... That will usually happen east of the 418.

if you have a transponder there is no entrance fee / camera charge on the government portion. Just the km rate.

That drive would cost $7.43 in peak hour, and is a larger distance than you may think, at 25km. it's a similar distance as going from the 401 to the 427 on the privately owned portion, for example (which would cost $13.80, as a comparison).

I agree I don't imagine a ton of trips doing that though.

Any sign of a slowdown and I'm taking any one of those ramps to go around if it takes me in the same general direction as where I'm going.

if you have a transponder there is no entrance fee / camera charge on the government portion. Just the km rate.

Huh, I didn't know that. Guess that's a decent deal for any drivers with a transponder. Good call by the province to avoid that charge on their section. If 407 ETR waived this as well, I wonder how many more transponders they would sell.

For any non-Toronto area resident or transponder-less driver, I don't think I'd ever use the 412/418 to access the 401. If I am going to drive on the 407, I may as well drive as much as possible to help make that camera charge worth it. Either absorb the cost or just say screw it and use 401.

Huh, I didn't know that. Guess that's a decent deal for any drivers with a transponder. Good call by the province to avoid that charge on their section. If 407 ETR waived this as well, I wonder how many more transponders they would sell.

For any non-Toronto area resident or transponder-less driver, I don't think I'd ever use the 412/418 to access the 401. If I am going to drive on the 407, I may as well drive as much as possible to help make that camera charge worth it. Either absorb the cost or just say screw it and use 401.

Maybe I'm confused but isn't the billing combined with the 407ETR consortium? So why would there be a camera charge when going from the 407etr portion to the the provincial portion of the 407 or the 412/418?

I just used the toll calculator from the 407 etr website and there it indicates that there is indeed a photo charge for the provincial portions of the toll highways. However you do not get charged a second time when going from the provincial portions to the private portions of the highway..

wrt to usage of the 412/418. I too wonder if two new highways were necessary, however I can see it being used as a bypass for travelers coming from the east and heading to the Northern GTA area especially during times of high congestion

Last edited:
You only get a camera charge once, no matter what.

The entry charge is only charged if you use the private part of the highway.

If you have a transponder and only use the public portion, you only have to pay for the km rate. If you don't have a transponder, and drive on the public portion, you pay the camera charge and km rate. If you don't have a transponder and start your trip on the public portion but enter the private portion, you pay a single camera charge, an entry fee, and the km rate.

And seriously, just get a transponder if you live in the GTA. The monthly account fee and camera charge adds up too quickly otherwise.

The first phase kinda went to the middle of nowhere. This phase actually is quite useful, so I dont think they are worried about low usage.
This phase is going to be much lower traffic than phase 1.. Phase 1 is useful for about half a million people living in Durham Region, this second phase is more of a long range highway that connects with a highway (35/115) that isn't even particularly busy.

Phase 1 was free for a while since the toll infrastructure was not calibrated.

Back