2.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Highway 418 and 407 Extension Opens Monday

Ontario expanding and improving highways to promote economic development
December 6, 2019 10:15 A.M.
Ministry of Transportation

Ontario is connecting people to places and boosting local economies by opening the final stretch of Highway 407 and Highway 418.

Beginning December 9th, the final phase of this project will be open to drivers, connecting Highway 407 from the new Highway 418 to Highway 35/115. Highway 418 will provide another north/south connection from Highway 407 to Highway 401.

The extension will add 14.2 kilometres to Highway 407, and the new Highway 418 (10 kilometres). This will add more options for commuters and families to travel across the region faster.

"The completion of the Highway 407 East project will connect communities and greatly improve our transportation network in this region," said Vijay Thanigasalam, Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Transportation. "I'm pleased to announce that the last phase will open ahead of schedule."

"Ontario's highway infrastructure investments help people get where they need to go in a safe and efficient way, while allowing businesses to move goods and deliver services more quickly," said Laurie Scott, Minister of Infrastructure. "These investments help make Ontario open for business and open for jobs."

"Connecting Highway 407 to Highway 35/115 will create a vital link between Peterborough and the Greater Toronto Area," said Dave Smith, MPP for Peterborough-Kawartha. "The extension of this highway will help attract jobs and economic growth to this region."

"Opening the final phase of the Highway 407 East project before the busy holiday season is great news for all residents and travellers in this region," said Lindsey Park, MPP for Durham. "This is welcome news, especially during a time when people are planning trips to visit family."

"Extending Highway 407 provides another connection in Durham that will help move people and goods," said Lorne Coe, MPP for Whitby. "I'm excited to see the economic opportunity this project will bring for the entire region and beyond."

Quick Facts
  • In total, the extended Highway 407 and new Highway 418 will add over 24 km of new highways, benefiting communities across Durham and Peterborough and the Kawarthas.
  • The new stretch of Highway 407 and new Highway 418 will be fully owned and operated by the Province of Ontario.
  • Motorists will only receive one invoice for the use of Highway 407, 412, 418 and/or 407 ETR. This includes transponder leases, monthly account charges, and video toll charges.

Finally the 407 is doing something about the partial interchanges at Ninth Line and Donald Cousens Parkway.
IMG_5300.JPG
IMG_5301.JPG

finally! with the 407 east now open for a few years, those missing ramps have been sorely missing. Donald Cousens is especially bad for access, missing 2 different ramps.

York Durham Line is going to be getting much busier too with Seaton starting to come online, it needs signalized intersections. Not sure why an EA is needed for that though..

finally! with the 407 east now open for a few years, those missing ramps have been sorely missing. Donald Cousens is especially bad for access, missing 2 different ramps.

York Durham Line is going to be getting much busier too with Seaton starting to come online, it needs signalized intersections. Not sure why an EA is needed for that though..
I agree. People living in Box Grove need to get to 407 east right now are forced to make U turns at both interchanges.

Highway 418 and 407 Extension Opens Monday
Ontario is connecting people to places and boosting local economies by opening the final stretch of Highway 407 and Highway 418.

Beginning December 9th, the final phase of this project will be open to drivers, connecting Highway 407 from the new Highway 418 to Highway 35/115. Highway 418 will provide another north/south connection from Highway 407 to Highway 401.

The extension will add 14.2 kilometres to Highway 407, and the new Highway 418 (10 kilometres). This will add more options for commuters and families to travel across the region faster.

"The completion of the Highway 407 East project will connect communities and greatly improve our transportation network in this region," said Vijay Thanigasalam, Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Transportation. "I'm pleased to announce that the last phase will open ahead of schedule."

"Ontario's highway infrastructure investments help people get where they need to go in a safe and efficient way, while allowing businesses to move goods and deliver services more quickly," said Laurie Scott, Minister of Infrastructure. "These investments help make Ontario open for business and open for jobs."

"Connecting Highway 407 to Highway 35/115 will create a vital link between Peterborough and the Greater Toronto Area," said Dave Smith, MPP for Peterborough-Kawartha. "The extension of this highway will help attract jobs and economic growth to this region."

"Opening the final phase of the Highway 407 East project before the busy holiday season is great news for all residents and travellers in this region," said Lindsey Park, MPP for Durham. "This is welcome news, especially during a time when people are planning trips to visit family."

"Extending Highway 407 provides another connection in Durham that will help move people and goods," said Lorne Coe, MPP for Whitby. "I'm excited to see the economic opportunity this project will bring for the entire region and beyond."

407 is finally going to be comlete! Exciting stuff. I expect this will make my drive to cottage country much easier.

407 is finally going to be comlete! Exciting stuff. I expect this will make my drive to cottage country much easier.

I would love for the 407 to be extended west to Highway 8 in Kitchener next.

Where the 407 dumps you onto the 401 basically makes it useless going West.

The 401 should be widened in the next few years which should fix a lot of its traffic issues.

Long Term (30+ years out) MTO is thinking of building a highway from Guelph to the GTA west corridor along Acton, Rockwood, and Georgetown. I'll probably be retired by the time that gets built though, and I'm pretty young.

Leslie St is still a partial interchange (same with Weston Rd). Wish it had ramps similar to Woodbine Ave. Is the Centre St interchange still proposed or was it scrapped? Also, midblock interchanges like Birchmount Rd and Rodick Rd never happen right? Another thing is Whites Road and Sideline 26 interchanges aren't in yet.

That seems unlikely, especially since the 401/407 interchange is where the GTA West (413) is going. Having a 6 way interchange seem excessive.

The whites road interchange is complete, but not yet open. It’s wait on whites road to be extended to it.

leslie is a half interchange as there isn’t space to fit eastbound ramps.

while I believe MTO still owns the land for the centre street interchange, I can’t imagine it getting built. It has going to be some large complicated hulking beast that would fly in the face of the more urban environment Vaughan is trying to create in the area.

birchmount and rodick won’t happen as they are too close to other interchanges. Not every freeway crossing needs an interchange.

the one other one not mentioned is Upper Middle Road in Burlington. The land is there, but given that the extension to Dundas was cancelled long ago for upper middle, I don’t really see it happening.

Leslie St is still a partial interchange (same with Weston Rd). Wish it had ramps similar to Woodbine Ave. Is the Centre St interchange still proposed or was it scrapped? Also, midblock interchanges like Birchmount Rd and Rodick Rd never happen right? Another thing is Whites Road and Sideline 26 interchanges aren't in yet.
I think Leslie and Weston are too close to freeway interchanges to be full interchanges. I guess Woodbine (and Jane) are viewed as more major roads, so they added the extra basket weave bridges to actually make it a full interchange.
That seems unlikely, especially since the 401/407 interchange is where the GTA West (413) is going. Having a 6 way interchange seem excessive.
I'd guess this would start somewhat north of the 401/407 interchange and use 413 for a short stretch.

1575687231186.png

Back