News   Apr 18, 2024
 476     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

upgrades to Highway 6? Finally upgrading it to 400 series standards maybe? Constructing the Morriston Bypass?

It may also just be some "no news announcement" celebrating construction of the new Highway 7.

Here's the announcement (minus the spiel and self-congradulatory BS):

Applications Open for Ontario's New Connecting Links Program On November 19

The province is opening applications for Connecting Links, a new $15 million annual local infrastructure program, on November 19.

The new program will help municipalities pay the construction and repair costs for connecting links - municipal roads that connect communities to provincial highways and border crossings. There are 352 kilometres of connecting links, including 70 bridges, in 77 Ontario municipalities.

The program will help to cover the costs of bridge replacements, pavement rehabilitation, storm sewer construction and intersection improvements. Projects will be funded up to 90 per cent, to a maximum of $3 million.

Quick Facts
  • Applications for Connecting Links will be available on November 19 on the Ministry of Transportation webpage.
  • Funding for the new Connecting Links program is expected to begin in the spring of 2016.
  • Ontario’s population is expected to grow by approximately 40 per cent by 2041, placing additional importance on having modern infrastructure to support a growing population.
  • Research shows that every $100 million of public infrastructure investment in Ontario boosts GDP by $114 million, particularly in construction and manufacturing sectors.

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2015...-connecting-links-program-on-november-19.html

Highway 401's newest interchange opens at Wonderland Road in London:
http://www.lfpress.com/2015/11/12/new-hwy-401-interchange-opens-at-wonderland-road-in-london

1297771171890_ORIGINAL.jpg

Press release:
http://www.news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2015/11/new-highway-interchange-improves-access-to-london.html

Here's the announcement (minus the spiel and self-congradulatory BS):

Applications Open for Ontario's New Connecting Links Program On November 19

The province is opening applications for Connecting Links, a new $15 million annual local infrastructure program, on November 19.

The new program will help municipalities pay the construction and repair costs for connecting links - municipal roads that connect communities to provincial highways and border crossings. There are 352 kilometres of connecting links, including 70 bridges, in 77 Ontario municipalities.

I'd love to see an announcement that restores the highway downloading, or at least the signed King's Highway system. Previously, most connecting links were signed as highways even if they maintained by the local municipalities.

I'd love to see an announcement that restores the highway downloading, or at least the signed King's Highway system. Previously, most connecting links were signed as highways even if they maintained by the local municipalities.

Agreed. I'm not particularly vested in WHO is maintaining specific pieces of road, but the smashing of the signed King's Highway system by the Harris government in the 90s was hugely damaging to the clarity of the system. Granted the rise of GPS has mitigated the damage somewhat, but there still no reason why they couldn't have - for example - kept Highway 2 intact and added signs to indicate which municipality was maintaining each segment.

I don't think they need to put up signs indicating if the municipality maintains them. People don't really care. Just put them back up.

I'm guessing restoring the connecting links would only apply to highways that actually serve a highway function or reconnect broken sections. I doubt we'll see Yonge St. becoming Highway 11 again.
A continuous Highway 7 could be back, but I'd still prefer it remain under municipal control in York and given a proper name.

Don't know why the former Ontario King's Highway 7 didn't keep the "7" when it was downloaded. Each region/county have given it a different number or name.

If Toronto decides to give numbers to its arterial roads, I hope they go back in history and give them historical numbers. IE. Yonge Street—11, Bloor Street/Danforth Avenue—5, Albion Road—50, Lake Shore Blvd./Kingston Road—2, etc..

Don't know why the former Ontario King's Highway 7 didn't keep the "7" when it was downloaded. Each region/county have given it a different number or name.

If Toronto decides to give numbers to its arterial roads, I hope they go back in history and give them historical numbers. IE. Yonge Street—11, Bloor Street/Danforth Avenue—5, Albion Road—50, Lake Shore Blvd./Kingston Road—2, etc..

Because, for most cases, the number was already taken by regional roads.
IE Airport Road was already Peel Regional Road 7

There were always options. For example, Durham Region already had a Regional Road 2, so they simply decided to rename Highway 2 to "Durham Highway 2".

402 is already used for the highway from London to Sarnia.

Just upload the DVP and Gardiner to the province, then renumber the DVP 404, and change the Gardiner to QEW. That way we can widen the DVP, kill proposals to tear down the Gardiner, fix the Gardiner, and cancel silly events which close the DVP and Gardiner.

I don't think they need to put up signs indicating if the municipality maintains them. People don't really care. Just put them back up.

I'm guessing restoring the connecting links would only apply to highways that actually serve a highway function or reconnect broken sections. I doubt we'll see Yonge St. becoming Highway 11 again.
A continuous Highway 7 could be back, but I'd still prefer it remain under municipal control in York and given a proper name.

Some of the worst examples are Highway 9 - which still exists in two separate sections as the section between Harriston and Orangeville was downloaded, and Highway 3, which is now three separate sections (Fort Erie to St. Thomas, but not including the section through Port Colborne, and between Leamington and Windsor).

I'd like, most of all, for Highways 2 (as the alternate to the 401), 3, 4 (at least to Highway 10), 7, 9, 11B (in Timiskaming), 17 (east of Ottawa), 19, 21 (south of Highway 402), 24 (Cambridge to Caledon, if not all the way back to Collingwood), 28 (Port Hope-Highway 115), 33, 27, 59, 67 in Timmins, 86, and 121 between Minden and Haliburton to be fully restored. I don't care who maintains them, but a "maintained by ______" tab underneath the highway shield if necessary.

Highway 7 is probably okay through Brampton and York Region without restored signage (though I'd argue it should still continue through to Highway 410 in Brampton from the west, instead of abruptly in Norval), but it should be restored westward to Sarnia.

Many other routes, like Highway 18 south of Windsor, Highway 22 near London, Highway 76 in West Lorne, the southern section of Highway 121 (though Kinmount), Highway 93 between Highway 11 and Highway 400, made sense to download. Highway 11 probably didn't need to exist anymore south of Barrie. But there were too many important through routes and connecting highways that were thrown away without any planning in the Harris fire sale era.

York Region had a Regional Road 7 - Islington Avenue. They renumbered it 17 - problem solved. Peel messed up by numbering all of Charleston Sideroad Regional Road 24, when only the section west of Highway 10 was Highway 24. (The eastern section was Regional Road 11 before.)

Back