News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 431     0 

Roads: HOV lanes

Markster

Member Bio
Reaction score
With the Pan-Am Games nearly upon us, the GTA's great 2 month experiment with HOV lanes has begun. Between the existing HOV lanes on the 404, 403, and the QEW, this new Pan-Am "test drive" of HOV lanes, and the proposed HOV lanes on the 401 in Cambridge, it's looking like the province is taking serious motions towards more and more of these.

With the social medias ablaze with commuters on this first day of the Great HOV Experiment, it's probably fair game to have a dedicated thread to discuss them.

Check out the Urban Toronto post about the Pan-Am Games Transportation Plan

Where are the temporary lanes?
HOV-LANES-MAP.jpg

How does this fit into the bigger picture?

HOV-map2.png

How long are they going to last?

June 29 - July 27: HOV 3+ (You need 3 occupants to use them)
July 28 - Aug 18: HOV 2+ (You need 2 occupants to use them)

They are active from 5:00am until 11:00pm every day.

Who can use them?
  • accredited Games vehicles used to transport athletes, media, technical officials etc.
  • motor vehicles with 3+ occupants (from June 29 – July 27)
  • motor vehicles with 2+ occupants (from July 28 – August 18)
  • emergency vehicles
  • public transit
  • licensed taxis
  • airport limousines (on provincial highways only)
  • electric vehicles with green licence plates (on provincial highways only)
  • motorcycles (on City of Toronto roads only – Don Valley Parkway, Gardiner, Lake Shore Blvd.)
(source)

Discussion?

Were you prepared?
Did anyone carpool today?
Was your GO/Greyhound bus strangely on-time when it never usually is?
Do you think you'll try to coordinate forming a carpool at one of the MTO's numerous Carpool lots?
How about trying to start up Slugging, Toronto Style?

Attachments

• HOV-LANES-MAP.jpg
    HOV-LANES-MAP.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,467
  • HOV-map2.png
    HOV-map2.png
    463.9 KB · Views: 1,422
Last edited:
I must say...the 401/404 interchange was absolutely disastrous this morning. With the addition of whatever accident was down the DVP it took me
over 45 min just to get across the 401. A mere preview of whats to happen to our roads next decade with further growth and no alternative transit methods downtown.

I'm very disappointed that the Green Plates don't allow you to be in the City of Toronto HOV lanes. Very backwards of them when the province allows them.

I'm very disappointed that the Green Plates don't allow you to be in the City of Toronto HOV lanes. Very backwards of them when the province allows them.
Interesting that you mentioned that because 680 news this morning said otherwise.... who picked up the broken telephone this morning?

Interesting that you mentioned that because 680 news this morning said otherwise.... who picked up the broken telephone this morning?

Indeed, I've found about 75% of articles/videos in the media say the Green Plate access is universal. Only about 25%, and official city/province websites, mention they're only valid on provincial highway HOV lanes. I myself thought they were OK until just yesterday since most of the articles don't mention it! Glad I found out at least...

The temporary HOV lanes are open to: (source)
  • accredited Games vehicles used to transport athletes, media, technical officials etc.
  • motor vehicles with 3+ occupants (from June 29 – July 27)
  • motor vehicles with 2+ occupants (from July 28 – August 18)
  • emergency vehicles
  • public transit
  • licensed taxis
  • airport limousines (on provincial highways only)
  • electric vehicles with green licence plates (on provincial highways only)
  • motorcycles (on City of Toronto roads only – Don Valley Parkway, Gardiner, Lake Shore Blvd.)

Talking to my Doctor today, it was gridlock on the QEW at 6:45 am coming in from Oakville compare to the past when he could do the limit. Very few cars in the HOV outside of police, with a fair number getting tickets for being in the lane.

The Building Owner is setting up a shuttle service from Long Branch GO Station free to help its clients to get to/from the buildings and not deal with the traffic mess.

Glad Markster started this thread. I think this a great experiment. Was on the DVP n/b and s/b off-peak, and it was relatively bad (but not completely terrible tho). However it's definitely not good to use today to gauge things...way too early. But I think after a few weeks we'll have a good understanding of traffic mgmt techniques for our future, and ways to improve it. One thing I'd be looking forward to is this "Slugging" idea brought up in the first post. I actually think it'd work very well in TO.

I thought the green plate in HOV rule had expired January 1st? or did the province renew it?

It was actually scheduled to expire tomorrow--June 30 2015. It has been extended to June 30 2016, largely, I assume, due to the games. Same goes for airport limousines, I believe.

The QEW, as expected, is probably faring worse than most other highways. I generally drive QEW counter-peak (which is normally very busy already). The morning was worse than normal, but not terrible (at about 0700). The eastbound QEW was horrendous this afternoon. It probably took twice as long to get from Winston Churchill to Hurontario than it normally does.

Unfortunately I don't have much opportunity to carpool.

Is GO transit a viable option for you, at least until the games are over?
Sometimes, but not at the moment. I need to visit multiple construction sites during the day, and am often hauling gear. At the moment, the jobs are pretty dispersed. When we are working downtown, I will generally take GO or the TTC and drive on the odd day that I know that I need to haul something. Alas, it looks like that will happen right after Pan-Am is over.

It sucks, because construction workers are some of the most vigorous carpoolers, so if I didn't have to be in multiple places, I would probably be able to find some mates to ride with me.

My worry is that this experience will poison people's perception of HOV lanes. The Province has previously widened highways to implement HOV, but this is the first time (correct me if I'm wrong) that HOV is being installed on an existing lane. For many people who haven't experienced them before, the Province runs the risk of associating HOV with congestion.

I also don't understand why they had to up it to 3+ for the Pan Am Games. Most 2+ HOV lanes flow fine, even during rush hour. Upping it to 3+ just puts more people in the general lanes, even if they are actually carpooling with 1 extra person.

Back