News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 794     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

well it is needed the 401 is well over 6 lanes through the eastern GTA why is only 6 lanes in the far more heavily populated western side???

... the 401 is well over 6 lanes through the eastern GTA why is only 6 lanes in the far more heavily populated western side???
Because it has the 8-lane 407 just to the north, and the 8-lane 403 to the south ...and the 6-lane QEW. There is no alternative to the 401 east of Brock Road.

I would like to see the 401 widened through Mississauga, but I think this should be a gradual tapering off of lanes as it transitioned from a 12-lane urban superexpressway to a 6-lane rural intercity freeway.

There's a major bottleneck between the 410-403 interchange and Highway 10 and beyond because there's no tapering. It should be 5 lanes to Mississauga Road, and 4 lanes each way to about Milton, and that's about it.

The same problem exists in the east where the 401 goes from 5-6 lanes west of Brock Road to 3 lanes past Salem. It should be four lanes through Oshawa to allow the bottleneck to clear. This is a problem on Saturdays as well, where the 401 this way starts to look like the 400 northbound on a cottage weekend start.

True but this is the main way all the traffic goes down into southern Ontario...

I hope they are going finally fix the 410/403 interchange and make it complete. I am not fan of highways or anything, but if you going to build them, at least build them properly.

I hope they are going finally fix the 410/403 interchange and make it complete. I am not fan of highways or anything, but if you going to build them, at least build them properly.

Agreed. There's a lot of directions you can't go at the 401/403/410 interchange.

I would like to see the 401 widened through Mississauga, but I think this should be a gradual tapering off of lanes as it transitioned from a 12-lane urban superexpressway to a 6-lane rural intercity freeway.
That's the stated plan isn't it? 12 lanes at Mississauga Road. 10 lanes at Winston Churchill, etc.

But you got to start somewhere ...

My hope is they'll finally put the eastbound 401 to southbound 403 ramp (and vice-versa) in place. It and the missing westbound QEW to northbound 403 ramps are bizarre.

I would like to see the 407 west of 9th Line renumbered 403 and have 403 renumbered 407 south of the 403/407 interchange. In addition they should add a toll on the section between the 403/407 interchange and the QEW. Doing so would eliminate the constant traffic jam on the QEW around Oakville by prompting more people to choose the toll freeway over the top of Oakville.

The 407 was originally planned to be 403 but was changed to 407 so that the MTO would'nt have to built and it could be tolled as a consistantly numbered route. The 403 through Missy was supposed to be renumbered to 410 but was rejected as being potentially confusing, although in my opinion it would have made a lot more sense.

The 407 was originally planned to be 403 but was changed to 407 so that the MTO would'nt have to built and it could be tolled as a consistantly numbered route. The 403 through Missy was supposed to be renumbered to 410 but was rejected as being potentially confusing, although in my opinion it would have made a lot more sense.
There's been a few iterations. 407 from the east to Winston Churchill was always 407. At one point from there to QEW was to be 407 (including the bottom leg of the 403) and the 407 from 9th Line to Burlington was 403; that was nice and simple. But much earlier, 403 was to go from west to 427/401 interchange, with 410 going from Brampton, to 403 and down Cawthra ... but that died in the 1970s, or earlier, so we still have this 403/410 thing ... amazing that the same highway can have 3 different numbers.

I recall that, but I'd like to see detailed construction plans before I believe it haha.

I have a look at drawings a few years ago and it will be fix like it should from day one.

I have a look at drawings a few years ago and it will be fix like it should from day one.

Well I'd hope if they're spending this much money they should do a thorough job so you can go any direction from any direction (west from the south, south from the west, etc)

I've request last week from the MTO the to provide the plans for this project. Still waiting to hear back from them. Knowing our government, they'll never get back to me.

Back