News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

If you zoom to telephoto and lock the focus, it should stay sharp for the full zoom range.

I was referring to the blue gas stations, etc. signs.

Eastbound express lanes were open this morning from James Snow to the 407. Backed up horribly though, as they all merge to a single lane before rejoining the collectors, which were running smoothly. Hopefully they are able to open up more lanes through the 407 interchange shortly, but for now, it's objectively worse than it was before.

I'm convinced that the MTO could probably delay a lot of road widening by optimizing merges, which seem to almost universally be the cause of delay. There is a net gain in lanes from James Snow through the 407 now, but it is objectively slower.

Eastbound express lanes were open this morning from James Snow to the 407. Backed up horribly though, as they all merge to a single lane before rejoining the collectors, which were running smoothly. Hopefully they are able to open up more lanes through the 407 interchange shortly, but for now, it's objectively worse than it was before.

I'm convinced that the MTO could probably delay a lot of road widening by optimizing merges, which seem to almost universally be the cause of delay. There is a net gain in lanes from James Snow through the 407 now, but it is objectively slower.
and there's already a crash in the new express lanes

Welp once this project west to Milton and the widening in Cambridge is polished off, the next section between hwy 8 and 410 to be tackled is between the two Highway 6 interchanges near Guelph. The 401 will be 12-laned here (doubled!) with 10 lanes designed to be pushed through the two junctions east and west.

Vid: https://vimeo.com/ursci/review/511403607/794637bb78

Couple screenshots from a discussion I had elsewhere:
image.png

Map-Board-15.png

It's a huge project so I expect the work on the new Highway 6 freeway section to begin first, along with the new 401 interchanges. Once that's mostly done widening work will commence.

Ok everyone, this could be it. Looks like the 401 overpass at the rail line east of hwy 25 is done. They were finishing up the concrete barrier last week and now the temporary concrete dividers have all been removed. The express lanes from Mississauga Rd to the 'old-new' section are paved and lines drawn. They'll just have to do the final pave on the collector lanes there now (already ground down and ready to apply).

On the website for the construction updates, there are a ton of closures for this week, Mon-Wed, then basically nothing. I'm thinking we are very close. There is still an overhead sign waiting to go up EB, but nothing major that I can see. I don't believe there are many, if any, sections with the temporary dividers. My commute home (WB) is already 10 minutes faster with the express open after the Credit River, so hoping this delay into the GTA is going to be better with Mississauga Rd and Mavis traffic in the collectors.

I know it will all fill in again, but it was really interesting watching the whole project from the 410 to hwy 25.

Welp once this project west to Milton and the widening in Cambridge is polished off, the next section between hwy 8 and 410 to be tackled is between the two Highway 6 interchanges near Guelph. The 401 will be 12-laned here (doubled!) with 10 lanes designed to be pushed through the two junctions east and west.

It's a huge project so I expect the work on the new Highway 6 freeway section to begin first, along with the new 401 interchanges. Once that's mostly done widening work will commence.

Estimated completion for the Highway 6 / Wellington 34 interchange and associated connections early 2024.

That is only for this interchange and assoicated works. The Morriston Bypass, new 6/401 interchange, and 401 widening have yet to begin:

Map-Board-15.png

That is only for this interchange and assoicated works. The Morriston Bypass, new 6/401 interchange, and 401 widening have yet to begin:
It does however change the 6 north/401 interchange sterilizing the option of extending it south to join the bypass. So presumably the design for the new interchange and bypass are completed.

It does however change the 6 north/401 interchange sterilizing the option of extending it south to join the bypass. So presumably the design for the new interchange and bypass are completed.
The current work does not modify the 401 interchange, simply constructs a new interchange to the north of it in order to close two existing at-grade crossings of the Hanlon.

The Hanlon Expressway will not be extended south however, 6 will continue to interline with the 401. The final design is available on the project's website:

Hwy-6-Morriston-Bypass.jpg

Attachments

• 1669671498151.jpeg
    1669671498151.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 64
I hope the new bridge for this bypass over the CP Rail line is built for three tracks. No reason... ;-P
Was that supposed to be a 4 in place of the error 3??

Should be for 4

It’s remarkably easy, it seems, to amass the land for new highways.

Now, try to make the case for a new, or widened, railway corridor…..

Just saying….

- Paul

Back