News   Apr 23, 2024
 263     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 465     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

I drove on this section of 401 two days ago and noticed that collector lanes (and outer lanes where there are no collectors) are all complete and the traffic on the entire roadway was routed on these lanes while express lanes (or centre lanes where there are no express lanes) were under construction. I guess that means all the overpasses are structurally complete. How long should it take from here to finish construction? Are they going to just repave the express lanes or will there be more work?

From what I can tell, they're completely rebuilding the express lanes.
The existing lanes of the 401 from the Credit River to 25 are being rebuilt 100% for express lanes and part of the 5 lanes sections. Large sections of the existing lanes have been rebuilt including full paving as both express lanes and 5 lanes. They are seen in the Dec 2021 shots above when I last shot the areas.

At the rate they were going in Dec, the product will be finish by June this year with sections open before then.

As for Hwy 24, don't recall seeing form work for the new bridge in Dec and taken back that the northbound lanes are open as noted above. The collectors lanes on the 401 were open with work on the existing lanes being worked on.

Will have a look at things around Jan 18-20.

The existing lanes of the 401 from the Credit River to 25 are being rebuilt 100% for express lanes and part of the 5 lanes sections. Large sections of the existing lanes have been rebuilt including full paving as both express lanes and 5 lanes. They are seen in the Dec 2021 shots above when I last shot the areas.

At the rate they were going in Dec, the product will be finish by June this year with sections open before then.

As for Hwy 24, don't recall seeing form work for the new bridge in Dec and taken back that the northbound lanes are open as noted above. The collectors lanes on the 401 were open with work on the existing lanes being worked on.

Will have a look at things around Jan 18-20.
June? That's quicker than I thought!

June? That's quicker than I thought!
Taking a shot in the dark. They will have the sixteen mile creek bridge done in the next few months since the steel beams are in place and maybe the Halton Sub bridge. The Credit River bridge will follow those bridges. Not sure if the Derry Rd bridge will be rebuilt or upgraded, but all these these bridges are the major work to be done.

Based on what they have done for replacing the old 401 lanes with 5 lanes and express lanes, it will not take them to do the rest of the lanes. The section from the Credit River to Mississauga Rd has to be raise and graded and that will not take long.

How they plan to open the express lanes is a wait and see, but the whole thing will be done by Sept at the latest. The sooner they get it done, more money in their pockets sooner than later.

Taking a shot in the dark. They will have the sixteen mile creek bridge done in the next few months since the steel beams are in place and maybe the Halton Sub bridge. The Credit River bridge will follow those bridges. Not sure if the Derry Rd bridge will be rebuilt or upgraded, but all these these bridges are the major work to be done.

Based on what they have done for replacing the old 401 lanes with 5 lanes and express lanes, it will not take them to do the rest of the lanes. The section from the Credit River to Mississauga Rd has to be raise and graded and that will not take long.

How they plan to open the express lanes is a wait and see, but the whole thing will be done by Sept at the latest. The sooner they get it done, more money in their pockets sooner than later.
So are they construction a concrete sub-base like the rest of the 401, or are they just using standard gravel aggregate and paving asphalt on top?

So are they construction a concrete sub-base like the rest of the 401, or are they just using standard gravel aggregate and paving asphalt on top?
Asphalt. That why it will open faster and costing less to build. If concrete, add another year to the schedule.

Asphalt. That why it will open faster and costing less to build. If concrete, add another year to the schedule.
Oh thanks for letting me know. I heard they add a concrete sub-base as it's more durable for truck weight and increases life span of the road. While also being easy to resurface since its asphalt as the top layer. Curious they went with all asphalt, would expect the road to be ripped apart sooner rather than later.

Jan 14/22
It was too cold today to do my normal shooting of the expansion as we head to London. I shot from a few location only.

Photos to follow

Shot from the walkway west of 8 of the bridge construction. Concrete should be pour for the bridge deck by the end of the month subject to weather.

I really miss the foundation and the steel for the new 24 overpass somehow.

Only a small section of the centre section remain to be done east of 24 with the rest finish. No idea about the curb lane behind the barriers, since I was in the passing lane.

60% of the old 401 lanes are pave or ready to be pave. Most of the paved area is seeing foundation support work for the light mass with sections west of 25 done and centre barrier pour. Light mass poles on site waiting to be install.

Work on going rebuilding the Halton Sub overpass.

Sixteen Mile Bridge has steel decking on it and surprised that far behind when I last saw it. Concrete deck could be in place by the end of the month.

A large section around 407 still needs work.

No idea if the Derry Rd overpass has or is to see work

The section east of Mississauga Rd needs a lot of work.

Couldn't see any pier work for the bridge over the Credit River.

New sign post going up to support signs with one having the steel in place in the westbound lanes.

There is no concrete base under the asphalt areas that have been pave. Only seen the standard subbase lay before the various levels of paving was place on top of that looks like concrete.

With this type of weather, work will be non existing and what is taking place will be slow going.

Flew through the area that was wide open from Mavis Rd to London.. Did noticed they have push the express lane reduction closer to Mavis Rd including the HOV lane.

Will not becoming back by the 401.

Try to get a video, but the camera needs to higher than what I could get.

Jan 14/22
More up on site

Sixth Line Overpass View
51825018076_c857516317_b.jpg

51824071207_15c422ff85_b.jpg

51824259557_72d3a0e19f_b.jpg

51825548849_a18f3b2690_b.jpg

51824260617_e3dd193b78_b.jpg

51824260532_6e4247c057_b.jpg

51825930000_8d6634e22a_b.jpg

From James Snow Parkway Overpass
51825315473_15af8d1de2_b.jpg

51825316678_6b0f298297_b.jpg

51825316598_d7e2d90367_b.jpg

51825316373_a1b4a175e0_b.jpg

51825315368_a8db28f52a_b.jpg

Jan 14/22
From Conestoga Walking Bridge

Highway 401 Grand River

Looks like the west side of the Grand River pier for the eastbound new bridge is in place
51825958340_2814e9abca_b.jpg

51825344183_81f2af183f_b.jpg

51825958850_090fbd45ed_b.jpg

51824289112_44b8d4fbea_b.jpg

51825344073_d1ac7beef3_b.jpg

51825344013_1185712040_b.jpg

51825343938_e4346ee424_b.jpg

51825236106_de9d692636_b.jpg

51825344423_e506b3e198_b.jpg

51825344513_c1bf964ef4_b.jpg

51824289572_2ebffded6d_b.jpg

Is it just me, or is the new span at the Grand River at a lesser grade than the existing spans? Perhaps the MTO intends to lower the grade on that hill, though it never struck me as being a particularly bad one.

Jan 14/22
From Conestoga Walking Bridge

Highway 401 Grand River

Looks like the west side of the Grand River pier for the eastbound new bridge is in place
I thought they were going to build an overpass for east bount 401 drivers coming from London to land on Highway 8 heading into Kitchener. Was this not a part of the plan, if not then that is crazy that is something that has been needed for many years, its ridiculous that there is no overpass for highway 8 from London.

I thought they were going to build an overpass for east bount 401 drivers coming from London to land on Highway 8 heading into Kitchener. Was this not a part of the plan, if not then that is crazy that is something that has been needed for many years, its ridiculous that there is no overpass for highway 8 from London.

The 401 EB to 8 NB, 8 SB to 401 WB flyovers are certainly needed these days but aren't included in this project. However, I believe that the new bridge is being built with those future connections in mind, and will be wide enough to fit in the on/off ramps. Consider it a precursor project.

I hate driving through the 'funhouse' of King Street whenever going from London to Kitchener but at least they have a freeway to access. London is a funhouse any way you want to access/get off the 401.

Thanks for sharing all the pics btw. Nice progress being made even in the winter shutdown season.

My understanding that the new ramps will happen after this phase somewhere between 2025-2030/35. Until there is a wider area over the Grand and to Fountain Rd, hard to put in that ramp.

You need to ask MTO what is up for the ramp..

I can see the southbound 8 to west 401 ramp hitting grade before 401 and come under the overpass as there is room to do it. The eastbound ramp is a questionable how, but was in the plan and design can change over time.

Back