News   Mar 28, 2024
 200     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

How do these new collectors that they are paving at Trafalgar going? Presumably must stop just east of there at the 407. And at a minimum to James Show in the west ... do they get to 25?

I have to find some new aerial photography ... apparently there's a new roundabout at James Snow and Dublin Line ... I guess James Snow becomes Cambellville Road there ... I can't believe I haven't actually been there for a year or two ...
If you look at the westbound after 407 you will see a flyover being built for the 407. From that flyover to Winston Churchill. the west bound lanes are 5 wide. Just before James Snow it will becomes 5 lanes and remain 5 lanes to the west of 25 where it become 3 until the next expansion takes place going west. The eastbound lanes will see the same thing with a new connection to 407.

Yes there is a new roundabout at James Snow and Dublin and used it in June. No idea on name change.

The sooner they get section pave, the sooner they can shift traffic to start work on the express lanes. Until a few creek bridges are built to allow back filling and grading with paving, the new collectors can't be use in place of the current lanes. From shooting from all the bridges I could shoot from. the westbound lanes are more advance than the eastbound.

Don't know if steel being place for the Creditview new bridge as it will require a closure of the 401 for one night like Trafalgar, but a shorter time frame since there is less steel for it than Trafalgar.

I am assuming work will start this fall for the new bridge over the Credit River as well the grading to the west of it.

My understanding is that the collectors will end after Winston Churchill and it will drop to 10 lanes under the 407 (due to existing structures), and then expand to 13-lanes with collectors again through Milton.

That's dumb! The collectors lanes need to be consistent all the way through. It's pointless to have the express/collectors setup for only a short distance. Look at the traffic mayhem on the 401 between the 427 and the 409. All that collectors and express traffic merging together once you hit the 427 (eastbound), and then after you pass the 409 (eastbound) everyone switching lanes to get back into the collectors or express lanes. Slows down traffic.

Is it not possible to extend the collectors lanes all the way through because of the 407 bridges?

Last edited:
In theory, I see what you're saying. The reality, though, is that the 401 between Trafalgar and Winston Churchill is almost never congested. West-bound occasionally is, but it's a cascade effect from further west with the traffic weaving. I doubt it will end up being a problem for a very long time.

I have to find some new aerial photography ... apparently there's a new roundabout at James Snow and Dublin Line ... I guess James Snow becomes Cambellville Road there ... I can't believe I haven't actually been there for a year or two ...

The James Snow extension has been in place for quite awhile now, actually. I suspect that the roundabout at Campbellville Road might become the point where the Tremaine extension ends. Does anyone know the details on that project?

That's dumb! The collectors lanes need to be consistent all the way through. It's pointless to have the express/collectors setup for only a short distance. Look at the traffic mayhem on the 401 between the 427 and the 409. All that collectors and express traffic merging together once you hit the 427 (eastbound), and then after you pass the 409 (eastbound) everyone switching lanes to get back into the collectors or express lanes. Slows down traffic.

Is it not possible to extend the collectors lanes all the way through because of the 407 bridges?
Have you driven this section and really took a look what exist before construction and under construction??

To have the collector lanes run like you want requires the full rebuilding of the 401/407 interchange. This is a cheap man way of doing the the OPPS!!! that maybe fix in the future. This is the time to fix the 407/401 intersection. I need to check, but I think Winston Churchill overpass will only handle 10 lanes when it was rebuilt over a decade or so ago.

To keep the collectors lanes to 25 will have impact on existing business next to the expansion that most will have to be torn down at huge cost. This is between James Snow and 25.

In fairest, you only need 5/6 to KW after Winston Churchill and then come 5 lanes to Windsor, though you could get away with 4. The section between London and Woodstock needs to be 6 with 2 for trucks only.

In fairest, you only need 5/6 to KW after Winston Churchill and then come 5 lanes to Windsor, though you could get away with 4. The section between London and Woodstock needs to be 6 with 2 for trucks only.

When you say 5/6 lanes to KW after Winston Churchill, do you mean in one direction, or in both directions. Either interpretation, this is incomprehensible to me. Milton to KW is fine with 6-lanes right now. Heavy truck traffic is an impediment to cars in that section, so I could see them justifying increasing it to 8-lanes with trucks limited to the right two lanes in each direction. There is absolutely no way that it warrants 10-12 lanes, though, for the foreseeable future.

When you say 5/6 lanes to KW after Winston Churchill, do you mean in one direction, or in both directions. Either interpretation, this is incomprehensible to me. Milton to KW is fine with 6-lanes right now. Heavy truck traffic is an impediment to cars in that section, so I could see them justifying increasing it to 8-lanes with trucks limited to the right two lanes in each direction. There is absolutely no way that it warrants 10-12 lanes, though, for the foreseeable future.
That the plan on having 5 each way. I support to see 2 lanes separate for trucks only with a shoulder lane plus 3/4 for traffic. Not only trucks are an impediment to cars, but car themselves who drive in the passing lane under the speed limit as well in the other lanes. 60% of today drivers should not be on the road as they don't know how to drive in the first place.

You need more lanes today as well in the future to handle the extra 2+ million cars coming to the road by 2040.

There's so many problems with the 401 cause it's at capacity.

I don't even think it's the collector split itself that's the problem. The 409 traffic merge slows things down. Especially the collectors where it merges into the left lane where most traffic immediately tries to get to the middle. The 400 ramp always causes a backup along with the Weston/400 waving problem. The 404 approach is always a problem too, especially when theres a backup onto the DVP. The roadway with 4 lanes almost always move better than the 3 lanes roadway. It's almost always better to keep switching between collectors and express just for this reason.

Unless there's a huge backup on to the 407, I don't see the same issue happening there. By the time the 407 starts to jam up around the 401/407 area, I would assume all hell breaks loose and time to ditch the car for something else.

New pics from Asphaltplanet.ca:

401_cl_342_west_Jun12_lg.jpg

401_cl_343_west_Jun12_lg.jpg

401_cl_343_east_Jun12_lg.jpg
#ThrowbackThursday

Also, here are some 401 widening at Hurontario photos from 2012. How would you compare this to today?

#ThrowbackThursday

Also, here are some 401 widening at Hurontario photos from 2012. How would you compare this to today?
8 years later, there is now 12 lanes from 410/403 interchange when there was only 6.

Now how would or others say what the real number of lanes should be from the west side of the 427 ramps to Dixon Rd as well how many lanes for 427 traffic merger into 401???

8 years later, there is now 12 lanes from 410/403 interchange when there was only 6.

Now how would or others say what the real number of lanes should be from the west side of the 427 ramps to Dixon Rd as well how many lanes for 427 traffic merger into 401???

8 years just for that? Snails move faster.

Curious: is there a reason that project took so long? Did they slow it down for budget reasons? I recall long stretches where I was commuting along there and there was zero activity. Comparatively, the work west of Mississauga road seems to be proceeding quite quickly.

Curious: is there a reason that project took so long? Did they slow it down for budget reasons? I recall long stretches where I was commuting along there and there was zero activity. Comparatively, the work west of Mississauga road seems to be proceeding quite quickly.
$$$ - the only thing that runs the world

You have to imagine at some point dragging out a construction project for a decade might actually lead to higher costs.

Back