News   Mar 28, 2024
 333     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 348     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 702     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

^ Wasn't there are notional one of $6 billion mentioned at some point? I can't remember if it was by the government itself though.

Honestly, I think we need rail expansion, coupled with selective highway projects. Bradford Bypass, Morriston Bypass (Hwy 6), and linking the 427 to the 400 (basically the far eastern portion of the 413) would be projects I would support.

But I'd like to see the Missing Link and substantial GO expansion in Brampton, coupled with a Bolton GO service, before I even thought about supporting the 413 as a whole.
Missing Link is a great long term ambition but very expensive. I would like us to be reserving surface ROWs for future regional rail service as part of any greenfield development. The goal being that nearly all new residential and commercial development is within 2-3 kms of such a ROW. We should then design the road network to minimize the number of grade separations that would be required.

The Progressive Conservative government has not disclosed a price tag for the highway, which would run from Highway 401 at Milton to Highway 400 in Vaughan.

Nor have the Tories said what the 16.2 km Bradford Bypass, linking Highways 400 and 404, would cost.

Neither freeway will be tolled like Highway 407 so taxpayers will foot the bill.

I believe this is the first confirmation I've seen saying the 413 won't be tolled. That would make it the largest single untolled freeway project constructed in the GTA since the Toronto Bypass opened in the 1950's, and the largest provincial highway expansion since the 416 in the mid 90's, provided you don't count the 400 extension given it's extremely slow and fractured construction process.

I believe this is the first confirmation I've seen saying the 413 won't be tolled. That would make it the largest single untolled freeway project constructed in the GTA since the Toronto Bypass opened in the 1950's, and the largest provincial highway expansion since the 416 in the mid 90's, provided you don't count the 400 extension given it's extremely slow and fractured construction process.
Wow, you caught that; I missed that. This changes a lot on the highway (I think we all assumed that it would be tolled, albeit at a lower rate than the 407).

Sorry to hijack the topic: are they going to extend the 413 eastbound and connect to Hwy404 eventually?
I don't think so, not if the Bradford Bypass is built. In a worst (best depending on who you ask) case scenario, they might widen the section between the 413 and Bradford Bypass significantly.

I don't think so, not if the Bradford Bypass is built. In a worst (best depending on who you ask) case scenario, they might widen the section between the 413 and Bradford Bypass significantly.
The 413 and Bradford Bypass are 25km apart making it unlikely to be used in conjunction. The 413 would be more of a trucking route alternative while the Bradford Bypass is really a connector.

Extending the 413 east would likely run through the Oak Ridges Moraine which is a big no-no. Especially what happened a couple decades ago. Other alternatives could be constructing a freeway out of Gamble Rd or a bit norther on Bloomington Rd. I think the 413 would be more complete if it connected to the 407/412 junction creating a partial ring road but how much traffic actually need to bypass the GTA oppose to destinated in the GTA?

Sorry to hijack the topic: are they going to extend the 413 eastbound and connect to Hwy404 eventually?
Really doubt it. The area to the east is already developed with houses - especially between Bathurst and Bayview, so you will have to completely teardown a community which I don't think will fly today.

I think the 413 would be more complete if it connected to the 407/412 junction creating a partial ring road but how much traffic actually need to bypass the GTA oppose to destinated in the GTA?
There is no need and this would be a waste of billions of dollars, especially where it would compete with the provincial portion of the 407.
There is already a complete bypass of the GTA with the 407ETR/407.
As a bypass, this 413 route would be even longer in length, so would take longer to drive as well .

There is no need and this would be a waste of billions of dollars, especially where it would compete with the provincial portion of the 407.
There is already a complete bypass of the GTA with the 407ETR/407.
As a bypass, this 413 route would be even longer in length, so would take longer to drive as well .
For cars, sure. For commercial trucks, it's prohibitory expensive to use the 407 for long distance. There was a suggestion that the Ford government should negotiate with the 407 to get a discount rate for trucks, instead they came up with funding the 413. The 407 failed to get trucks off the 401.

The distance along a ring route via the 413 would be approximately 30km longer. However if trucks can be moving along instead of being stuck in hour long traffic, it's totally worth it to take this bypass.

For cars, sure. For commercial trucks, it's prohibitory expensive to use the 407 for long distance. There was a suggestion that the Ford government should negotiate with the 407 to get a discount rate for trucks, instead they came up with funding the 413. The 407 failed to get trucks off the 401.

The distance along a ring route via the 413 would be approximately 30km longer. However if trucks can be moving along instead of being stuck in hour long traffic, it's totally worth it to take this bypass.
I'm guessing very few people on here actually drove 407 in rush hour pre-pandemic. If trucks could use it for free then it would become immediately congested and destroy their whole business model (pay extra to travel across town at 120 km/hr).

I'm guessing very few people on here actually drove 407 in rush hour pre-pandemic. If trucks could use it for free then it would become immediately congested and destroy their whole business model (pay extra to travel across town at 120 km/hr).
Yes, the "subsidize trucks to use the 407" argument is terrible, and doesn't address the growing trucking industry needs.

Back