News   Apr 24, 2024
 940     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 615     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

The federal Minister of Transportation, Omar Alghabra, was asked about the federal EA of the GTA West (decision will come on or before May 4th) and here is the audio of his response. The event was held by the Brampton Board of Trade which supports the GTA West.

This is worth a close-up:

1620063083473.png

And

1620063167967.png

Welp this project is dead in the water, I'm a bit disappointed that nothing will be done to deal with the increasing number of cars on the road in northern peel.

Time to face the consequences.

And what's funny is this wont stop the sprawl that's going to inevitably happen, so what was the point?

A perfect way to describe this is the picture below.
qtd2avR.jpg

Last edited:
Welp this project is dead in the water, I'm a bit disappointed that nothing will be done to deal with the increasing number of cars on the road in northern peel.

True; though building this highway would do nothing about it either!

Investing in transit, requiring smart growth; limiting sprawl; moving, where practical to a '15 minute City' are the solutions.

And what's funny is this wont stop the sprawl that's going to inevitably happen, so what was the point?

By itself, it will not.

But if the consequence of stalling/killing this highway is that planners and pols will need to find another solution; then that's an excellent consequence.

1) Expand the Greenbelt, and downzone existing lands near this proposed highway.
2) Dramatically expand transit, including/but not limited to 2Way-All-Day GO in the K-W corridor, making what investment is required to achieve 15M service to Mt. Pleasant.
Implement GO BRT along Highway 407 to at least the 407 Station on the Spadina Line ( from Northern Mississauga w/stops in Brampton.)
Deliver the Hurontario LRT to DT Brampton
Deliver BRT on Queen Street East/7
3) Eliminate Parking Minimums
4) Upzone major (transit) corridors

The most exciting thing in Canadian politics is one level of government having to step in to clean up another's mess (see also: Spadina Expressway).

I think it might be optimistic to assume this means it's automatically dead but it's certainly looking a lot shakier than it was yesterday.

It's not necessarily dead, but the federal EA may make things so costly and time-consuming that the province may have to cancel the project. Such examples include moving at-risk species, elevating some parts of the highway, changing/rerouting drainage and/or creeks, etc.

If it is ever built, at least it will be built 'right'.

I think it might be optimistic to assume this means it's automatically dead but it's certainly looking a lot shakier than it was yesterday.
I'd have to agree: I don't think it's automatically dead, but, definitely makes it less of a sure thing. May also be the best "save face" option for the PC party to just walk away from the entire thing. It's unclear to me if it's worthwhile for them to blow political capital on this (just like they did for the Pickering MZO).

Investing in transit, requiring smart growth; limiting sprawl; moving, where practical to a '15 minute City' are the solutions.

By itself, it will not.

But if the consequence of stalling/killing this highway is that planners and pols will need to find another solution; then that's an excellent consequence.

1) Expand the Greenbelt, and downzone existing lands near this proposed highway.
2) Dramatically expand transit, including/but not limited to 2Way-All-Day GO in the K-W corridor, making what investment is required to achieve 15M service to Mt. Pleasant.
Implement GO BRT along Highway 407 to at least the 407 Station on the Spadina Line ( from Northern Mississauga w/stops in Brampton.)
Deliver the Hurontario LRT to DT Brampton
Deliver BRT on Queen Street East/7
3) Eliminate Parking Minimums
4) Upzone major (transit) corridors
That's cool and all but it does nothing for Caledon's development future.

A perfect way to describe this is the picture below.
View attachment 317031
I'm still hopeful someone will see the logic. We need connections. Connectivity. There are traffic problems in northern Peel and they need to be solved. We need to do something NOW.

Sure, do that stuff, after this missing link is completed.

Back