News   Mar 28, 2024
 248     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 629     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 376     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

The Trucknews article is tragically biased. "Brampton did not reply for comment after being given MULTIPLE OPPORTUNITIES to..." yeah they're presumably too busy managing a city to deal with angry logistics company middle managers.

The Trucknews article is tragically biased. "Brampton did not reply for comment after being given MULTIPLE OPPORTUNITIES to..." yeah they're presumably too busy managing a city to deal with angry logistics company middle managers.
The City of Brampton is so ineffectual at communication, that it makes one wonder if they are that callow, or whether it is deliberate obfuscation.

As someone who lives in southern caledon I can understand why people wouldn't want this highway.

but people also need to realize.

current situation
Issue#1
The only east-west major road in northern Peel is Mayfield.
Issue#2
Only major non-tolled east-west highway is the 401 deep in Peel.
Issue#3
Roads in northern peel are conjested
people driving south still need to go through Brampton to get on a major highway(im not counting the 410 because its a crapshoot)

now how do we solve this problem?

Option#1
the typical add more lanes to municipal roads solution

Option#2
Build the Bolton GO Line

Option#3
Build sections of the proposed highway?

These people who oppose this highway dont realize that
A. they plan on building a hydro corridor right beside the proposed highway, so whats the point in opposing it when the land will be used to build the hydro
B. Caledon East and Bolton are expanding, Caledon East is gearing up to build more subdivisions and that will then add more cars going south through Brampton. Bolton is planning on expanding the industrial section and that will be an even bigger impact on the roads.

The women mentioned in the article, has no clue how important this project is to the people of southern Caledon and if she thinks it'll cause "more pollution" to the environment shes never been to Brampton where you waste more time and gas sitting at a traffic light than you would driving from A to B with no stop lights.

In an alternate timeline where the conservatives didnt sell the 407, i belive we wouldn't need this highway.

Please let know what you think.

I agree we need more connections. I would expect that there was pushback on every highway or infrastructure project built to date. Many people don't like change and aren't willing to sacrifice for the greater good.

As someone who lives in southern caledon I can understand why people wouldn't want this highway.

but people also need to realize.

current situation
Issue#1
The only east-west major road in northern Peel is Mayfield.
Issue#2
Only major non-tolled east-west highway is the 401 deep in Peel.
Issue#3
Roads in northern peel are conjested
people driving south still need to go through Brampton to get on a major highway(im not counting the 410 because its a crapshoot)

now how do we solve this problem?

Option#1
the typical add more lanes to municipal roads solution

Option#2
Build the Bolton GO Line

Option#3
Build sections of the proposed highway?

These people who oppose this highway dont realize that
A. they plan on building a hydro corridor right beside the proposed highway, so whats the point in opposing it when the land will be used to build the hydro
B. Caledon East and Bolton are expanding, Caledon East is gearing up to build more subdivisions and that will then add more cars going south through Brampton. Bolton is planning on expanding the industrial section and that will be an even bigger impact on the roads.

The women mentioned in the article, has no clue how important this project is to the people of southern Caledon and if she thinks it'll cause "more pollution" to the environment shes never been to Brampton where you waste more time and gas sitting at a traffic light than you would driving from A to B with no stop lights.

In an alternate timeline where the conservatives didnt sell the 407, i belive we wouldn't need this highway.

Please let know what you think.

Yes a northern E-W route is needed but it doesn't need to be a 400 series highway. A provincial level highway like Hwy 9, would work just as well because all that's really needed is for there to be one continuous road with an 80 kph speed limit that a driver knows they can take to get from Peel/Caledon to Durham/Stouffville without having to jog North/South multiple times. Probably the most likely candidate to be upgraded to provincial highway is King St/Peel regional rd 9/King Rd/Bethesda Rd. A diversion around Lake Wilcox would be needed, could be Bloomington Rd, or Stoufville Rd. Honestly just having one contiguous route across the region would go a long way.

Yes a northern E-W route is needed but it doesn't need to be a 400 series highway. A provincial level highway like Hwy 9, would work just as well because all that's really needed is for there to be one continuous road with an 80 kph speed limit that a driver knows they can take to get from Peel/Caledon to Durham/Stouffville without having to jog North/South multiple times. Probably the most likely candidate to be upgraded to provincial highway is King St/Peel regional rd 9/King Rd/Bethesda Rd. A diversion around Lake Wilcox would be needed, could be Bloomington Rd, or Stoufville Rd. Honestly just having one contiguous route across the region would go a long way.

I agree, i also thought of the idea that it could be designed just like highway 115, keep it 4 lanes each way and design it that it would prevent sprawl as best as possible.

You can't really generate tolls from that though- you need a full controlled-access freeway to do that.

I say this either needs to be built properly or not at all. No sense half-assing it.

I for one would love to see a bypass of Toronto to get to the 400 without paying 407 prices.

Then maybe we should be subsidizing travel on the 407, especially for commercial/industrial traffic. The last thing we need is yet another tolled freeway operating at 40% capacity because it's being treated like a business instead of an investment into the community.

Then maybe we should be subsidizing travel on the 407, especially for commercial/industrial traffic. The last thing we need is yet another tolled freeway operating at 40% capacity because it's being treated like a business instead of an investment into the community.

hmmmm

1) pay an exorbitant subsidy each and every year, one which likely would increase as time goes on, and line private coffers all to not underutilize an existing asset

OR

2) build our own publicly-owned highway, boost overall vehicle capacity (even if usership won’t be as high as it could be sans tolls), and generate revenues that could go into transit expansion

gosh I wonder what the better call is

hmmmm

1) pay an exorbitant subsidy each and every year, one which likely would increase as time goes on, and line private coffers all to not underutilize an existing asset

OR

2) build our own publicly-owned highway, boost overall vehicle capacity (even if usership won’t be as high as it could be sans tolls), and generate revenues that could go into transit expansion

gosh I wonder what the better call is
I wouldn't be so sure this one would be publicly owned. Ideally we should just buy back the 407.

I'm not opposed to tolling the 413 as long it's a fairly reasonable rate. Something like $0.15/km or less.
Well, it should be tolled high enough to keep traffic flowing and not higher, perhaps with a minimum wear-and-tear toll of $0.15/km. A toll set too low is just a charge for the insult of having to sit in traffic. 407 tolls are way too high, particularly for off-peak.

Back