News   Mar 28, 2024
 68     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

I imagine MTO will reserve 411 for if Highway 11 is ever upgraded to 400 series standards.

It's already pretty much at 400-series standards from Barrie to North Bay, save for a number of RIRO intersections closer to the Barrie end. I can't imagine that an upgrade will be out of the question once the HWY 400 extension to Sudbury is complete.

It's already pretty much at 400-series standards from Barrie to North Bay, save for a number of RIRO intersections closer to the Barrie end. I can't imagine that an upgrade will be out of the question once the HWY 400 extension to Sudbury is complete.
I don't know about your math but Barrie to Gravenhurst is about 65km of which is not 400 series standard except the Orillia section. The bend at Gravenhurst would need to be realigned too. So it's about 75% 400 series standards.

They got better luck with upgrading 115 to 415 than this in the near future.

even north of Gravenhurst there are a ton of at grade intersections that would disqualify it.

MTO plans to eventually upgrade 11 to full freeway standards, but it hasn't been a quick process. South of Gravenhurst will get upgraded when it needs to be widened to 6 lanes. From Orillia to Barrie is getting close to that but is probably still a decade off. Between Orillia and Gravenhurst is probably another generation away.

North of Gravenhurst it is a matter of closing a the at grade intersections, which needs a few frontage roads and new interchanges. A bit easier, but still not a priority given traffic levels of the highway.

I don't know about your math but Barrie to Gravenhurst is about 65km of which is not 400 series standard except the Orillia section. The bend at Gravenhurst would need to be realigned too. So it's about 75% 400 series standards.

You're right, I was mistakenly generalizing the entire route based on how the Orillia and more northern sections are built. The section between Barrie to Gravenhurst, with the exception of the Orillia section, would need some significant changes. However, the bulk of the route would be essentially ready to go, as it is fully twinned, and many of the at-grade intersections could simply be closed off.

Past the 35 split there's no upgrading needed for the 115, it could renumbered tomorrow. It's already a full freeway.

the 35/115 would need access to places like this gas station cleaned up first before becoming 400-series

Same with Highway 11 past the 400 split. Too many businesses border it. Bypass this and they'll complain. Cut off access via access roads and they'll complain a little less.
-There's also a lot of homes with driveways on this stretch. They would likely need to be expropriated, which means a bypass route may be the cheaper option.

Sorry this isn't super related to the GTA west highway. Just hope they don't build it like these examples.

408 works for me. I find the 427 odd, even though I know it was given that name as it largely paralleled ON-27. 489 would be in the stratosphere.
I'd think 408 would saved, given that pieces of Highway 8 are already at 400-series standards. 413? 414? 415? 419?

Though, there's plenty of short expressways that aren't numbered in the 400-series. They've been talking about this highway for decades. Perhaps it will be Regional Road 77 if it's built.

Back