299     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 335     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 692     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

Webinar coming up:

"Good afternoon,

The Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) is in Stage 2 of the GTA West Transportation Corridor Route Planning and Environmental Assessment (EA) Study. After confirming the Preferred Route and 2020 Focused Analysis Area on August 7, 2020, the GTA West Project Team commenced developing the Preferred Route to a preliminary design level of detail.

The attached letter is to notify you that a Community Engagement Webinar has been scheduled for this study. To further meet the public’s needs and address community questions, a Webinar will be hosted by the GTA West Project Team on July 28, 2021 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Please refer to the attached letter for further information on the event."

From PDF:

"July 9, 2021
Invitation to a Community Engagement Webinar about the GTA West Highway and Transit Corridor Environmental Assessment Study.

The Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) is in Stage 2 of the GTA West Transportation
Corridor Route Planning and Environmental Assessment (EA) Study. After confirming the
Preferred Route and 2020 Focused Analysis Area on August 7, 2020 (please refer to the
enclosed key plan or view mapping at www.gta-west.com), the GTA West Project Team
commenced developing the Preferred Route to a preliminary design level of detail.

The GTA West Study is being undertaken as an Individual EA in accordance with the Ontario
EA Act and the GTA West Corridor EA Terms of Reference, which was approved by the Ontario
Minister of the Environment on March 4, 2008. On May 3, 2021, the Federal Minister of
Environment and Climate Change determined that the GTA West Study also warrants
designation under the Federal Impact Assessment Act.

More information is available on the project website at www.gta-west.com/processandtimeline.

To further meet the public’s needs and address community questions, the GTA West Project
Team is hosting a Community Engagement Webinar where the public and stakeholders can
understand more about the project and have their questions answered. You are invited to
attend the Community Engagement Webinar hosted by the GTA West Project Team on
July 28, 2021 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

The GTA West Project Team will provide a brief
overview of the project followed by a question & answer period. Expert panelists from a variety
of disciplines (e.g. noise, air quality, fisheries, archaeology, etc.) will be in attendance to answer
your questions.

Public and Project Team member health and safety is of utmost importance. Given the current
COVID-19 pandemic, this Webinar will be conducted as an online session hosted through the Zoom platform. For the best experience, we encourage you to join the Webinar on Zoom
through an electronic device. If you don’t have access to an electronic device, you can listen to
the Webinar through your telephone. If you join by telephone, please submit your questions in
advance. A recording of the event will be posted on the project website.

To register for the Webinar, please visit the project website at www.gta-
west.com/consultation-2 and click on the Zoom registration link under the Upcoming
Opportunities for Input section. If you have accessibility requirements, please leave a
message at the toll-free telephone line at 1-877-522-6916.

If you have questions that you would like to submit to the GTA West Project Team in advance of the Webinar, please e-mail them to project_team@gta-west.com, submit them through the contact form on the project website at www.gta-west.com/contactus/ or call the toll-free telephone line at 1-877-522-6916."

GTA west seems to have quietely released detailed alignment plans on their website in May - see the "draft straw model design" plates through the link below.

https://www.gta-west.com/consultation-2/

The 407/401/GTA West interchange looks like fun.
Its great to finally see some drawings for this project, if only we had the same kind of enthusiasm for building railway corridors.

My biggest gripe is that there is no Coleraine interchange.

GTA west seems to have quietely released detailed alignment plans on their website in May - see the "draft straw model design" plates through the link below.

https://www.gta-west.com/consultation-2/

The 407/401/GTA West interchange looks like fun.
It does look fun indeed.

Transit ROW ... can we just keep it south of the freeway-freeway interchanges to avoid building huge bridges?

It does look fun indeed.

Transit ROW ... can we just keep it south of the freeway-freeway interchanges to avoid building huge bridges?
The transit ROW looks very appealing, add a GO bus station in Caledon East that then going to the airport road interchange.

On a side note, the area circled in black is a proposed massive warehouse complex. I think it would be a smart idea to add an interchange on old school road for the trucks to easily get on the highway.
chrome_dVOcvtchm0.png

The transit ROW looks very appealing, add a GO bus station in Caledon East that then going to the airport road interchange.

On a side note, the area circled in black is a proposed massive warehouse complex. I think it would be a smart idea to add an interchange on old school road for the trucks to easily get on the highway.
View attachment 333952
Aside from my opposition to the highway ... that's too close to the interchange, unless you mean something like this:
1625945112745.png

Honestly the biggest issue with Brampton is the amount of stop lights, my hope from this highway was to allow me to bypass Brampton entirely, thus saving me 30-45 minutes having to go through Brampton.

But if this "boulevard" proposal is just another typical Brampton road then what's the point of this?
Agreed. Brampton driving is terrible. If there is an accident on the 410, it takes forever to navigate local roads to get around it. I don't know why they didn't build service roads along the 410.

The design, for people who don't want to search it up or can't find it. I'll do a sheet-by-sheet criticism of the design. (I know I downloaded it as "plate" but I am just used to labelling things like this.) I'll try to avoid criticism of the project, and focus on design.

General observations:
  • Huge ROW.
  • Huge interchanges.
  • Should expand wetland/forest restoration. Heck, do it for all acquired properties and protect them with parks. (Acquiring extra properties would be awesome!)

Sheet 1:
  • This removes any chance of 401 Collectors-Express system through the interchange
  • That ROW is massive.
  • Tenth Line and Embleton interchange instead of Winston Churchill. This would require a redesign of Queen St - Embleton interchange, and 10th Line redesign in Georgetown.
  • That Winston Churchill interchange is huge on the SE side. Can we shrink it?
Sheet 2:
  • Massive ROW continuation.
  • The Credit Valley is forested, any restoration?
Sheet 3:
  • Can we pleeeease use B2s instead of A4s? Those things are huge!
Sheet 4:
  • Massive ROW continuation
  • No interchanges between Mayfield and Chinguacosy?
  • Shrink the Chinguacosy interchange.
Sheet 5:
  • The Hurontario interchange will likely see large traffic, so keep as is
  • The 410 interchange is both too large and precludes a future extension towards Orangeville.
  • East of above interchange, there's a small creek. I'd like to see stormwater ponds connected to that, as well as marshland restoration on it.
  • Old School Road interchange on the 410 (see above posts)
Sheet 6:
  • Move the Humber Station interchange to Coleraine. Use one of those A2 designs where all ramps are on the far-side from the 427 interchange.
Sheet 7:
  • That 427 ROW is also large.
  • Curve the Transitway south of the interchange, instead of running it through it.
  • Nashville Road like Old School's.
Sheet 8:
  • Opportunity for habitat restoration at Humber River crossing?
  • Keep 27 interchange as is
Sheet 9:
  • If there's a provincially significant wetland, can't we move the highway to avoid it?
  • What's going to happen to that ONRoute (they're too close to Toronto anyways)
  • Pine Valley instead of Weston interchange. (I get Weston goes much further. It's too close to the 400, and anywhere that Weston goes, you're likely to use the 400)
Edit: The PDFs are not showing. Any idea what's happening?

Attachments

• Plate 1.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 120
  • Plate 2.pdf
    993.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Plate 3.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 141
  • Plate 4.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 124
  • Plate 5.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 122
  • Plate 6.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 144
  • Plate 7.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 115
  • Plate 8.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 117
  • Plate 9.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 135
Agreed. Brampton driving is terrible. If there is an accident on the 410, it takes forever to navigate local roads to get around it. I don't know why they didn't build service roads along the 410.
Service roads are only built to maintain access to local business previously having direct access to the highway.

Since Heart Lake Rd was converted in a limited access 2 lane highway during farmland era, there was never a need for service roads. Later on it was expanded into a 4 lane freeway.

The issue is the 410 was designed to be a connection to Brampton not a through route to travel across Brampton.

The design, for people who don't want to search it up or can't find it. I'll do a sheet-by-sheet criticism of the design. (I know I downloaded it as "plate" but I am just used to labelling things like this.) I'll try to avoid criticism of the project, and focus on design.

General observations:
  • Huge ROW.
  • Huge interchanges.
  • Should expand wetland/forest restoration. Heck, do it for all acquired properties and protect them with parks. (Acquiring extra properties would be awesome!)

Sheet 1:
  • This removes any chance of 401 Collectors-Express system through the interchange
  • That ROW is massive.
  • Tenth Line and Embleton interchange instead of Winston Churchill. This would require a redesign of Queen St - Embleton interchange, and 10th Line redesign in Georgetown.
Sheet 2:
Sheet 3:
Sheet 4:
Sheet 5:
  • The 410 interchange is both too large and precludes a future extension towards Orangeville.
  • East of above interchange, there's a small creek. I'd like to see stormwater ponds connected to that, as well as marshland restoration on it.
Sheet 6:
  • Move the Humber Station interchange to Coleraine. Use one of those A2 designs where all ramps are on the far-side from the 427 interchange.
Sheet 7:
  • Curve the Transitway south of the interchange, instead of running it through it.
Sheet 8:
Sheet 9:
  • If there's a provincially significant wetland, can't we move the highway to avoid it?
  • Pine Valley instead of Weston interchange. (I get Weston goes much further. It's too close to the 400, and anywhere that Weston goes, you're likely to use the 400)
I dont understand why Ontario highway design uses so much land. Like in the US and Europe highways are minimized as much as possible to limit the damage. The MTO seems to have the mentality of, how do we make this highway a big as possible. Highways should be safe but made as small as possible.

General observations:
  • Huge ROW.
  • Huge interchanges.

Sheet 1:
  • That ROW is massive.
Sheet 2:
Sheet 3:
Sheet 4:
Sheet 5:
Sheet 6:
Sheet 7:
Sheet 8:
Sheet 9:
Fantastic post, really narrows each drawing down.

The idea will run into issues north of Old Base Line due to the terrain, unless we repurpose the existing highway 10 corridor but that also has its own issues because of the towns it intercepts.
I agree, I'm very disappointed that there isn't one.
I dont understand why Ontario highway design uses so much land. Like in the US and Europe highways are minimized as much as possible to limit the damage. The MTO seems to have the mentality of, how do we make this highway a big as possible. Highways should be safe but made as small as possible.
I like the tight corridor of the 115/35.

Very pleased to see the reforesting and wetland restoration areas along the route.

I agree that some of the interchanges should be made smaller. I also wouldn't be surprised if the ROW is super wide like that along the transit corridor to accomodate the planned Hydro One transmission corridor.

Service roads are only built to maintain access to local business previously having direct access to the highway.

Since Heart Lake Rd was converted in a limited access 2 lane highway during farmland era, there was never a need for service roads. Later on it was expanded into a 4 lane freeway.

The issue is the 410 was designed to be a connection to Brampton not a through route to travel across Brampton.
Ah right right. Still, they'd function nicely here just for the sake of making travel easier. One can only dream.

Back