Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

BhadPetrov

Member Bio
Reaction score
Treaty Territory of The Mississaugas of the Credit
an even better idea would be to spend the GTA west highway money to get the Milton line dedicated tracks, all day RER service and operate the Orangeville-Brampton line as a branch of the Milton line, might even have money left over too, considering GTA west is going to cost 6-10 billion.

or we can get that company to get us ULRT... whatever that is...

🖤

Last edited:

CaskoChan

Member Bio
Reaction score
an even better idea would be to spend the GTA west highway money to get the Milton line dedicated tracks, all day RER service and operate the Orangeville-Brampton line as a branch of the Milton line, might even have money left over to considering GTA west is going to cost 6-10 billion.

🖤
No thanks, I'd rather have my money go into a brand new rail corridor through southern Caledon.

Nice article but its all about Brampton, what about the thousands of people driving from Caledon East to get to work?

Last edited:

BhadPetrov

Member Bio
Reaction score
Treaty Territory of The Mississaugas of the Credit
No thanks, I'd rather have my money go into a brand new rail corridor through southern Caledon.

Nice article but its all about Brampton, what about the thousands of people driving from Caledon East to get to work?
unless you mean an east/west line, extending a couple stops on the line I just made up and the article references the Bolton go line which would both serve southern Caledon.

as for an east/west line, a transitway might be a good idea to connect the new developments to Brampton and the town of Bolton considering how low density everything is and would probably continue to be even when significant development is completed. Also there aren't any major destinations on such a line so having buses be able to branch off would be a good idea.

🖤

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
an even better idea would be to spend the GTA west highway money to get the Milton line dedicated tracks, all day RER service and operate the Orangeville-Brampton line as a branch of the Milton line, might even have money left over to considering GTA west is going to cost 6-10 billion.

🖤
I'm still interested in where that 6-10 billion dollar figure comes from. It seems parroted everywhere yet I can't seem to find an original source other than speculation. 407 East cost 2 billion while being arguably at a similar complexity. Sure it was shorter, it had a similar amount of major interchanges, and at the very least I wouldn't expect prices to triple in 5 years.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm still interested in where that 6-10 billion dollar figure comes from. It seems parroted everywhere yet I can't seem to find an original source other than speculation. 407 East cost 2 billion while being arguably at a similar complexity. Sure it was shorter, it had a similar amount of major interchanges, and at the very least I wouldn't expect prices to triple in 5 years.
Final costs for the 407 East were recently revealed to be $4.1 billion all in, actually ($2.3 billion for phase 1 and $1.8 billion for phase 2). I believe the $2 billion number is the original, ~2007 cost estimate for it.

$6-10 billion is still far too high though, given the more simplex construction requirements for GTA West than the 407 East (less freeway to freeway interchanges, no realignment of the 401, etc.), and smaller overall size (407 East is about 63km of new highway, GTA West is about 52km with the connections to the 427 and 410)

I suspect final project costs would land in the $3-4 billion range for the highway.

It's the same thing with calling it "413" - as far as I know no government document has ever referred to it as that.

Last edited:

Coruscanti Cognoscente

Member Bio
Reaction score
Final costs for the 407 East were recently revealed to be $4.1 billion all in, actually ($2.3 billion for phase 1 and $1.8 billion for phase 2). I believe the $2 billion number is the original, ~2007 cost estimate for it.

$6-10 billion is still far too high though, given the more simplex construction requirements for GTA West than the 407 East (less freeway to freeway interchanges, no realignment of the 401, etc.), and smaller overall size (407 East is about 63km of new highway, GTA West is about 48km)

I suspect final project costs would land in the $3-4 billion range for the highway.

It's the same thing with calling it "413" - as far as I know no government document has ever referred to it as that.
I can't remember where the 413 came from, but I made a map of the highway on Google and I called it Highway 413 and I'm constantly getting access requests from people for it lol. My map has had over 700,000 views :p

CaskoChan

Member Bio
Reaction score

$6-10 billion is still far too high though, given the more simplex construction requirements for GTA West than the 407 East (less freeway to freeway interchanges, no realignment of the 401, etc.), and smaller overall size (407 East is about 63km of new highway, GTA West is about 52km with the connections to the 427 and 410)

The same can be said about this "only saving 10 seconds" like where are the sources for this?

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
The federal Minister of Transportation, Omar Alghabra, was asked about the federal EA of the GTA West (decision will come on or before May 4th) and here is the audio of his response. The event was held by the Brampton Board of Trade which supports the GTA West.