Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413—Guelph to 400

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The highway doesn't even go to Mississauga...
The end of the highway, is literally at the Mississauga border.

The highway literally goes to Mississauga.

Surely it makes more sense than York Regions supportive comments, that building this would reduce demand on the 401 ... which literally cuts through Mississauga.

A) I'm not sure that's true. B) If it IS true, then doesn't Mississauga get a say? Supporters can't have it both ways!

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
The end of the highway, is literally at the Mississauga border.

The highway literally goes to Mississauga.

Surely it makes more sense than York Regions supportive comments, that building this would reduce demand on the 401 ... which literally cuts through Mississauga.

A) I'm not sure that's true. B) If it IS true, then doesn't Mississauga get a say? Supporters can't have it both ways!
Technically it does go to Mississauga, but in practice it doesn't. The vast majority of people using the 413 will either go west on 401, so away from Misssissauga, or South on 407, which skirts the city but eventually turns away. While there might be a few people that go east on 407, considering the design of the highway I'm not sure how well used that change will be.

Now a valid objection would be that building the 413 would redirect freight traffic away from Mississauga/401 towards brampton/vaughan and the 413, but at that point be honest about it. The comments from the councilors suggest that this is an environmental issue, meanwhile they approve Highway 401 widening projects and have 5 highways running through or by their city.

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Technically it does go to Mississauga, but in practice it doesn't. The vast majority of people using the 413 will either go west on 401, so away from Misssissauga, or South on 407, which skirts the city but eventually turns away. While there might be a few people that go east on 407, considering the design of the highway I'm not sure how well used that change will be.

Now a valid objection would be that building the 413 would redirect freight traffic away from Mississauga/401 towards brampton/vaughan and the 413, but at that point be honest about it. The comments from the councilors suggest that this is an environmental issue, meanwhile they approve Highway 401 widening projects and have 5 highways running through or by their city.
All the new sprawl in Brampton will take this rather than the 410 (which is overcapacity) to get to 407 or 401.

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
All the new sprawl in Brampton will take this rather than the 410 (which is overcapacity) to get to 407 or 401.
Again it depends. Doug Ford wants to expand the greenbelt to cover the highway to prove that this isn't about sprawl, so this type of increase isn't 100% guaranteed

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Again it depends. Doug Ford wants to expand the greenbelt to cover the highway to prove that this isn't about sprawl, so this type of increase isn't 100% guaranteed
What's guaranteed is that this highway will attract traffic from the 410 from Western Brampton and Georgetown, and create induced demand for more VMTs.

sche

Member Bio
Reaction score
??? This is literally completely false, unless you consider a bunch of area beside Guelph and Cambridge to the greenbelt as "covering the highway"...

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score

sche

Member Bio
Reaction score
Notice it's talking about the "Paris-Galt Moraine" which is proposed to be added to the Greenbelt.

For reference, that's this:
1614310466762.png

Completely irrelavent to 413, more a distraction than anything else. (when talking about 413)

allengeorge

Member Bio
Reaction score
But this is not what’s being proposed. In fact, the only land concretely being proposed for addition is nowhere near the 413, and the rest is unknown (we don’t even have a figure as to how much) and “open to consultation”.

ConformistsWake

Member Bio
Reaction score
I live near the proposed route (property is 20m outside the study area) and I would really like to understand the context for the arguments against the proposal. I by no means support the highway, but haven't be able to fully grasp the nuisances of the opposition crowds points. I will be speaking with my councilor (Halton Hills) soon about the matter and was hoping to get more insight on a two statements I see mentioned often.

30 Seconds of Time Savings - Where is this measured from, is it from start to end on the new highway? If I were to travel from Halton Hills to Caledon or Bolton my assumption by looking at the route versus what I drive now is that there would be more than 30 seconds of time savings, but I guess that leaves the question of how much time savings would that route provide. If its sub 5 minutes then I would probably agree that it is not worth it.

Contribution to Sprawl - Are people referring to sprawl as just more car dependent development or are they opposed to development occurring on the lands surrounding to highway. Its my understanding that a lot of the lands near the highway are whitebelt and therefore the only pieces of farmland left that we have determined are where growth is to be directed. I don't want to see the area around me turn into endless cookie cutter housing and indistinguishable plazas, but I'm also aware of just how many people immigrate to the GTA each year. Is it realistic to build transit oriented communities in these edge lands when the areas interfacing with them were built focused on the car for the last 60+ years? It would be great to see the last of our developable land built efficently so you don't need a car, but how will people crossover/interact with the surrounding car friendly areas.

I think that if the 407 was open for trucks a lot of the need/desire for this highway would go away.