News   Apr 18, 2024
 678     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

If any construction work does start soon, it’ll be something small. The province is nowhere close to major construction on this, with land purchases, etc still needing to happen.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they “start construction” like they have on the Bradford Bypass, by starting on one overpass or something. Perhaps it’ll be the Humber River bridge, which is probably the largest and most complex component of the project. We’ll see.

If any construction work does start soon, it’ll be something small. The province is nowhere close to major construction on this, with land purchases, etc still needing to happen.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they “start construction” like they have on the Bradford Bypass, by starting on one overpass or something. Perhaps it’ll be the Humber River bridge, which is probably the largest and most complex component of the project. We’ll see.
1713268126657.png

Yeah that's quite a substantial bridge - and one that could get even longer if it means bridge piers are better placed...

Ford government says Highway 413 construction could begin next year​

Premier Doug Ford’s Progressive Conservatives say construction on their promised Highway 413 could begin as early as 2025 after a landmark environmental deal with Ottawa.
“I’m hoping to get shovels in the ground within the next year,” Transportation Minister Prabmeet Sarkaria told reporters at Queen’s Park on Tuesday.
His comments came the morning after a major impasse to the planned 52-kilometre freeway from Highway 401 in Milton to Highway 400 in Vaughan was cleared.

On Monday, the federal and provincial governments struck a joint working group to “recommend appropriate measures to minimize environmental impacts” of the highway.
“We’ve come to a conclusion with our federal partners on this to ensure — from an environmental perspective through that working group — that all issues are being addressed, but we’re very excited to now move forward and have that certainty to be able to build this highway,” said Sarkaria.
I suspect this will be Bradford Bypassesque with one overpass starting to "show progress". The main construction contract is likely still years away at best.

A year early and we'll ahead in the polls?

The last majority government to pull that one got unexpectedly booted.
I agree with you. The logic seems to be that they're spooked about the CPC winning in Fall '25 and then Ontario flipping opposite of the feds as they always do in 2026. So run an election in Spring '25 ahead of the Fed election to prevent that from happening. Seems unlikely but not the craziest thing in the world. Starting work on this project prior to a provincial election in 2025 would be a signifier of getting things done, or some such.

I agree with you. The logic seems to be that they're spooked about the CPC winning in Fall '25 and then Ontario flipping opposite of the feds as they always do in 2026. So run an election in Spring '25 ahead of the Fed election to prevent that from happening. Seems unlikely but not the craziest thing in the world. Starting work on this project prior to a provincial election in 2025 would be a signifier of getting things done, or some such.
I just don't think they'd go to the polls that early - and that it's not a factor. Spring 2026 maybe.

Back