News   Apr 18, 2024
 46     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

PICs scheduled.

Awesome. They must have essentially had the preferred route right before the Liberals canned the plan in 2015 if they are ready to present it already.

How is widening 10 an alternative to a direct 410 connection? In any case it looks substandard.
The highlighted section for widening is part of the 410 but that is the sub standard section with posted speed of 80-90 km/h. I guess the term direct connection meant connecting directly where the 410 curves west just north of Mayfield Rd, where is is more optimized for travel speeds. Widening 410 would meant they would need to extended freeway north to meet the GTA west freeway.

The highlighted section for widening is part of the 410 but that is the sub standard section with posted speed of 80-90 km/h. I guess the term direct connection meant connecting directly where the 410 curves west just north of Mayfield Rd, where is is more optimized for travel speeds. Widening 410 would meant they would need to extended freeway north to meet the GTA west freeway.

I always thought that bizarre east-west section of 410 was built that way as a prelude to becoming part of the GTA west highway. That is, this section would become the GTA west highway with the start/end of 410 right into the new highway, and a new full cloverleaf between 10 and the GTA west highway.

I always thought that bizarre east-west section of 410 was built that way as a prelude to becoming part of the GTA west highway. That is, this section would become the GTA west highway with the start/end of 410 right into the new highway, and a new full cloverleaf between 10 and the GTA west highway.

I think MTO would have to completely re-do the Mayfield interchange in order for that to work. GTA West would also have to swing further north in that section to avoid the Acklands Grainger DC, auto mall and new subdivision immediately east of the 410. Expropriating that land would be incredibly costly. Best bet would be to extend 410 north or northwest of Hurontario to connect with the new GTA West.

I think MTO would have to completely re-do the Mayfield interchange in order for that to work. GTA West would also have to swing further north in that section to avoid the Acklands Grainger DC, auto mall and new subdivision immediately east of the 410. Expropriating that land would be incredibly costly. Best bet would be to extend 410 north or northwest of Hurontario to connect with the new GTA West.

I’m not an engineer and excuse the rough sketch, but couldn’t a solution like the one in this sketch be possible? It avoids all the businesses/land that you mentioned.
D0C66437-8BE5-4F67-A2F0-B1E54F933B0B.jpeg

I’m not an engineer and excuse the rough sketch, but couldn’t a solution like the one in this sketch be possible? It avoids all the businesses/land that you mentioned.
View attachment 203819
That really is an ugly stretch of road.
The Mayfield bridge is build on quite a skew - essentially not allowing any change in curvature of hwy 410 anywhere to the south.
A bit farther west, the hwy 10 interchange is quite weird as well - essentially Hurontario norhtbound is dumped into a local subdivision.

This must have been designed as an interim solution - but I just don't see any logic.

Back