News   Mar 28, 2024
 241     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 623     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 374     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

Thanks everyone for the information on why this is being done this way! Seems to make sense - and presumably it would increase the capacity from the off-ramp onto Lake Shore.

I'm a bit puzzled though, I drove through the other day, and noticed that the Don Roadway doesn't allow left turns from Lake Shore! That means there's no eastbound access to Lake Shore/Gardiner between Bay and the DVP - which will push some traffic onto Villiers.

It hardly takes up much additional space, and will have utility once the whole project is completed. They were doing the rest of the rebuild in that area anyway - so why not do that at the same time? Normally we complaint that they keep going back to do more work somewhere, rather than doing it at once.

Once the off-ramp is moved further west by 2025, then the safety issues will be dealt with. Sounds to me this very much came up in the rebuild! The original design of having the ramp extend from near York Street to Spadina seems excessive. I wasn't aware they were going to remove that entire ramp, and replace it with one that ends at Yonge - while moving the eastbound Lake Shore to follow the Gardiner! (see https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe...nthome/projects/lower+yonge+precinct+planning)
I am assuming the no left turn is due the lack of space since one of the lanes will become a cycles/pedestrian with the closure on the north side or 2 lanes going in one direction and one the other way. This will remain that way until 2024/25 when the new eastbound Lake Shore opens up. The current westbound is suppose to be close in Nov to allow the removal of the westbound bridge, RR bridge and the cycles/pedestrian bridge. Once all 3 bridges are remove, excavation will take place to widen the Don and built new piers for the new bridges. Once done, everything moves to the new bridge to allow the removal of the eastbound and widen the Don

The removal of the Jarvis off ramp been on the books for years and can't happen until the Bay on ramp is remove to allow the building of the Yonge off Ramp.

One of the One Yonge Towers can't be built until the Jarvis off ramp is remove to allow the current Harbour St to be remove to form a square corner at Yonge and Lake Shore. The extension to Harbour St going east of Yonge can't happen until One Yonge is completed as well the other phases for Sugar Wharf on the current LCBO site is built. Next year will see one block of the new Harbour St extension open west of Loblaw's between the new LCBO HQ and phase 1 towers for Sugar Wharf.

Never know what may happen down the road for the Jarvis on ramp and have to wait to see what take place come 2025.

With the new Gardiner and Lake Shore hybrid when completed, this will go back to a split configuration as there will be new ramps to Lake Shore built further down. It is a temporary change until all of the construction is complete.
Great… I will be retired when this is all completed… meantime … I will sit in my car, crawling down to Jarvis st
😀

I didn’t realize they are closing the Jarvis off-ramp. That’ll be inconvenient for getting to the Village.

680News (CityNews680) was reporting yesterday that Leslieville residents are complaining about a lot more noise in the neighbourhoood now that the ramp has been torn down.

This is not construction noise, but general ambient noise levels have apparently risen.

Weird. They're wondering if ramp had been acting as sound barrier somehow.

Our daycare is in Leslieville, so I'm there every day, and I doubt there is anything to this. That said, there's a real possibility there is more traffic on Eastern, which is already pretty clogged with roadwork.

680News (CityNews680) was reporting yesterday that Leslieville residents are complaining about a lot more noise in the neighbourhoood now that the ramp has been torn down.

This is not construction noise, but general ambient noise levels have apparently risen.

Weird. They're wondering if ramp had been acting as sound barrier somehow.

I don't know, but I would wager that the Gardiner/Lake Shore there acted as a sort of 'white noise'; that is to say, you get so used to that 'hum' that you don't really count it as noise, its just how your area sounds.

But it was loud enough to drown out some other noises that are now more apparent.

I don't know, but I would wager that the Gardiner/Lake Shore there acted as a sort of 'white noise'; that is to say, you get so used to that 'hum' that you don't really count it as noise, its just how your area sounds.

But it was loud enough to drown out some other noises that are now more apparent.
Interesting theory. Or perhaps, it's fall, and as can happen, leaves have fallen from trees.

Yea having one downtown exit for everybody east of Yonge does not seem like a great idea. But maybe there's something I'm missing.

Interesting theory. Or perhaps, its fall, and as can happen, leaves have fallen from trees.
Very little leaves have fallen yet this year though.

But looks to me like there's a lot more traffic than we've seen since March 2020, and it started picking up in September with more opening up, etc. Perhaps what is being seen in Leslieville is the combination of life returning to normal, and a bit more traffic on Eastern and maybe Queen.

Which is annoying. I always try to avoid Yonge because it moves so slow
With the new piece of eastbound Lake Shore at Yonge though, won't that be fast, and eliminate east-west problems at Yonge?

With the new piece of eastbound Lake Shore at Yonge though, won't that be fast, and eliminate east-west problems at Yonge?
I’m not sure what you mean? I find it quicker to go up Jarvis than Yonge. Lots of pedestrians and slow moving vehicles on Yonge

Back