News   Apr 16, 2024
 187     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 556     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

I'm on the Gardiner five days a week and the best part of it is driving through downtown - the views it affords are certainly inspiring. But viewed from underneath it's just a massive eyesore requiring obscene amounts of money to keep from crumbling into oblivion. Really wish it had been demolished by now and a tunnel put in its place. You could have had a ribbon park threading the downtown area roughly parallel to the lake and it would still afford killer views of the city. As long as it stands however it's just going to be a massive money pit.
Unfortunately, unlike Boston, Toronto doesn't have a federal politician like Ted Kennedy pushing for federal funding for our city.

I'm on the Gardiner five days a week and the best part of it is driving through downtown - the views it affords are certainly inspiring. But viewed from underneath it's just a massive eyesore requiring obscene amounts of money to keep from crumbling into oblivion. Really wish it had been demolished by now and a tunnel put in its place. You could have had a ribbon park threading the downtown area roughly parallel to the lake and it would still afford killer views of the city. As long as it stands however it's just going to be a massive money pit.

Unfortunately, unlike Boston, Toronto doesn't have a federal politician like Ted Kennedy pushing for federal funding for our city.

Unfortunately? For the price of the "Big Dig", we could build 5 subway lines. I'll take 5 subway lines and either keep the Gardiner or turn it into a non-grade separated parkway. There's nothing remotely visionary or admirable about that catastrophe.

Unfortunately? For the price of the "Big Dig", we could build 5 subway lines. I'll take 5 subway lines and either keep the Gardiner or turn it into a non-grade separated parkway. There's nothing remotely visionary or admirable about that catastrophe.

Well at current Toronto subway building prices-maybe two lines, not five. But your point stands.

Well there's a private organization that wants to tunnel a 62 km toll highway underneath the railway starting at hw2A in Scarborough to the downtown Union Station splitting at Eglinton Ave connecting to highways 400 ,401 and 403 near the Square One area.
If this project ever goes through it would probably be the demise of the Gardiner Expressway viaduct . It can be seen on TOs citynews if someone wants to upload it on this page.
Photo from dailyhive
Screen-Shot-2017-12-20-at-8.07.48-AM-1024x575.png
a60377d2cf121dc2737380660b103519-1024x993.png

Last edited:
These tubes are built for cars, trucks and buses...

We need our own "Boring Company!" here. Fortunately we have uncountable numbers of suitable candidates to head this promising venture.

Unfortunately? For the price of the "Big Dig", we could build 5 subway lines. I'll take 5 subway lines and either keep the Gardiner or turn it into a non-grade separated parkway.

Some people/cities can walk and chew gum at the same time. Do both (5 new subway lines + bury the Gardiner) and I'm certainly willing for my taxes to go up to pay for it. If significantly smaller Sydney (7.8 million in Greater Toronto - Hamilton vs. 5.4 million in metro Sydney) can approve A$46 billion just to subways 2020-2030 then we should be able to spend twice as much as we are. And Sydney is building all 3 of their new subway lines at the same time.

Last edited:
One of the biggest downfall's of long term, multi billion dollar expenditures like that, is that $46 billion expense will turn out to be $75 billion by the time it's finished. Boston is a prime example. On the other side, repairing the Gardner every year isn't going to be cheap. Someone
is going to be seriously injured from falling debris from the Gardner. The city has been lucky so far, but it's getting too old to maintain for any length of time. This pandemic has put a whole new spin on debt and how far you go into the red and adding billions for a road may not be feasible.
Private money and tolls may be the answer, as mentioned above.

No better fiscal responsibility by our government is not difficult we just quietly accept failure time and time again. This pandemic has only given the government a golden excuse to be incompetent and overspend for "our benefit" HA

Well there's a private organization that wants to tunnel a 62 km toll highway underneath the railway starting at hw2A in Scarborough to the downtown Union Station splitting at Eglinton Ave connecting to highways 400 ,401 and 403 near the Square One area.
If this project ever goes through it would probably be the demise of the Gardiner Expressway viaduct . It can be seen on TOs citynews if someone wants to upload it on this page.
Photo from dailyhive
View attachment 284404View attachment 284405

This is such a ridiculous idea it's not even worth discussing!

This is such a ridiculous idea it's not even worth discussing!
It could be ridiculous today but you never know what tomorrow brings. With new innovative ideas and inventions to tunnel underground to speed up the digging process . Who thought the Jetsons 1960s cartoon idea of viewing a person on a screen tv would become a reality. And now it's a normal thing to do on Skype etc.

Photo by Hanna Barbra
jetsons-ep1-white-videophone.jpeg

I don't understand why the Gardiner isn't being buried in the same tunnel as the Ontario Line. There's no reason why the Gardiner couldn't veer north underground just west of Bathurst and reemerge with ramps onto the DVP and Lakeshore, but when such solutions were floated years ago, the consensus was that maintaining an elevated highway in modified form (Hybrid) at great expense with a few parks below it around Fort York (The Bentway) is as high as we're going to shoot. Depressingly "on-the-cheap" as always. I hope at this point there are at least creative solutions to sprucing up the crossings at Lakeshore under the Gardiner in the core. York and Lakeshore isn't too bad, but Spadina and Lakeshore, Yonge and Lakeshore, and Jarvis and Lakeshore are inhumanely grim. At least allow market stalls and food vendors to set up shop and create continuity where there are gaping holes in the streetscape. Bright lighting and art installations would go a long way on the medians between the east and westbound lanes and ramps. I'm surprised how badly programmed these spaces are.

Back